back to article Microsoft to merge Windows, Windows Phone stores in 2014

Microsoft is planning to combine the Windows Store and the Windows Phone Store into a single app store for all of its platforms as early as the spring of 2014, sources claim. The Verge reports that Microsoft's new operating systems head, Terry Myerson, revealed the plan during an all-hands meeting in Redmond on Thursday. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rick Leeming
    Thumb Up

So basically they've finally worked out 3 different code bases was a mistake, and they're going to merge WP8 and RT together. Maybe build their own emulator to run ARM on x86?

I like Windows Phone. Hell, I even like RT, but what stopped me buying an RT Tablet was the consideration I'd have to start buying all my apps again. MS pushed me in to buying the Tab2, I don't really like Android, but I did find I had a use for a tablet when I borrowed one.

1. Tom 35

3 different code bases was a mistake

For Phone and RT yes, but trying to make desktop and laptop computers look like a phone is also a mistake.

If they say apps will run on all three, will computer aps end up limited to something that can run on a phone?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 3 different code bases was a mistake

I assume apps would be able to specify that they only run on PCs (not phones/tablets) due to requirements of various APIs.

This is not a bad thing at all.

I have several apps on my phone that I would really like to also use on my PC and don't see why it isn't possible now. (Well, I do see why. Stupidity and shortsightedness.)

1. JDX Gold badge

While mobile apps are generally limited compared to what a full blown desktop application CAN do, that doesn't mean you'd never want to install a mobile app on our PC. I think it would be useful in fact because a basic tool costing a quid is sometimes all you need, not an application for £30.

Even being able to play some mobile games on your Mac/PC would be nice at times.

1. mmeier

IF the application is done in a way that works on more than one form factor this would be nice. Quite a few Android apps never managed that, running on a tablet is horrible at best.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Desktop apps?

Useful to add desktop (windowed apps) as well, even if its limited to WinRT apps (without the artificial limitation they must run full screen or split screen).

3. Eddy Ito
    Holmes

Really

"... we should have one set of APIs on all of our devices..."

If they know that, so why don't they have a common API already? They went through this whole rewrite on both the PC and Phone to make sure they all wore the same lipstick and broke compatibility with some hardware and software only to make operating systems that were about as compatible as they were before. Absolute fucking brilliance. Asshats.

1. DragonLord

Re: Really

Because it's a Hard problem not a hard problem. The reason it's Hard is because of legacy support. Let's face it, when the IPad was launched it took a year or 2 to get apps that would auto scale between Iphone and Ipad, and you got a lot of duplicate apps along the way.

4. Matt_payne666

A step in the right direction.... incompatible software just wouldn't show up in the store, much like the play store and the way that the current windows store allows different pricing for nokia apps on nokia phones...

Ive always thought that winphone8 and windows RT should be rolled into one unified OS... Im not a programmer, but in android land the same apps run on Tegra based devices and Snapdragon machines, so in my simple brain it should be possible to rejig things to make the same happen with phone and rt titles...

instead of one incredibly niche tablet and a low market share phone fighting, the devices would compliment eachother nicely like the iPad and iPhone

5. dogged

Correction

As it stands, the Windows Store offers apps for Windows 8 running on PCs with Intel processors and for Windows RT running on devices with ARM chips. Many of the apps in the store will work on both platforms, but not all of them do.

Not entirely true. Anything you can download directly from the store will run on either Win8 or WinRT but anything that redirects you to a website is Win8 only, because those aren't "apps". Those are programs like Office. All of the "apps" in the store work on both platforms because they're actually working against the WinRT API.

1. James Chaldecott

Re: Correction

I don't think that's quite right, either.

I was under the impression that if the app includes native code it will only be available on the platforms it was compiled for (x86/x64/ARM).

If it's all in .Net then you're right, as the final compilation is done by the CLR on the target machine. Note that MJF suggests that the Windows Store backend might be getting the same AOT compilation capability as the WP8 store, where the developer uploads the standard .Net binary (in MSIL), platform specific compilation is done on Microsoft's servers and what the user downloads is a compiled & optimised native executable. This removes the JIT overhead from the end-user's device, thus speeding up the launch of applications,

1. dogged

Re: Correction

I found it impossible to publish unmanaged code to the app store. Likewise, when publishing Store apps, they all get compiled against WinRT.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

confusion tactics

This is a lame attempt to muddy the waters with regards to app counts and pretend common pastries and app API.

Nothing has really changed, all the Windows app stores are still crap

7. JDX Gold badge

Desktop App Stores

Have even Apple convinced their users that buying desktop applications through an App Store is the best route? I don't really like it but I don't know many Mac users to ask their opinions.

1. Jay 2

Re: Desktop App Stores

In my case the answer is not entirely. Whilst I have got a few bits of software from the App Store on my Mac, most of it comes from external sources. I'd prefer to retain control of what I want to install on my own computer and where it comes from.

2. dogged

Re: Desktop App Stores

Microsoft aren't selling desktop applications through the App Store, though. They redirect to websites from the program information - you can't just click "install".

8. Sp1tf1r3
    WTF?

APIs convergence...

Quote "If they know that, so why don't they have a common API already"

Quote "In fact, developers don't even use the same APIs to create them – so far, at least."

A quick look to the MSDN documentation and we can see that the APIs are converged, e.g.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.devices.sensors.accelerometer.aspx

So the above API is supported on Windows 8 store apps, Windows 8 desktop apps, Windows phone 8 apps and can be used via three languages (C#, VB, C++) and it will build on three architectures (X86, x64 and ARM....

1. James Chaldecott

Re: APIs convergence...

Many of the APIs are the same on both platforms, but not all.

If you only need to reference the APIs that are common to all your targeted platforms you can write waht is called a "Portable Class Library", which will only allow you to use the common APIs (you can also specify to target "desktop" .Net, WP7, Silverlight and/or Xbox). The community has also come up with a fairly reasonable pattern for adding provide platform specific "enlightenment" libraries which provide abstractions over the not-common APIs.

PCLs are becoming pretty common, now. It's the obvious way to share common code beteween multiple platforms. Note that Mono can also load them (so you can use them on Android & iOS, too).

The downside is that the UI frameworks are NOT common, so you need multiple versions of your UI. OTOH this isn't *so* bad, as you probably ought to provide a different UI on a tablet to what you would provide on a phone anyway (not to mention Android, iOS, etc).

Don't take this as too much if a defence of the status quo, though. The current situation with WP7, WP8 & WinRT is a PITA, and it will be a very good thing when it's sorted out.

9. Fihart

Build it and they will....

....maybe/never...come.

Speaking to musician friend he "had" to go with Apple iPad because that's where the music apps are.

As a new Blackberry owner I made a visit to Blackberry World (!) app store -- merely confirmed that the brand is a goner.

10. Ottman001

Wait... what?! I keep myself as free from Microsoft grubby mitts as possible these days so I missed something there.

I thought Windows 8 WAS a single platform on phone, PC and tablet. If they're actually three code bases, why the hell does the desktop version of Windows 8 have a touch interface? I knew Windows 8 was a disaster but I thought MS at least had a reason to do it.

11. Mage Silver badge

Stupid

Applications for a laptop, medium touch tablet , TV set GUI and a phone are not just needing different GUIs but also need different design. On a decent screen multiple windows and floating & dockable customisable tool bars might make sense. But never on a phone, rarely on a tablet. TV is similar display needs to a 6" tablet, (because it's maybe 2m away) but due to very limited user input and navigation and usually no touch, no keys much beyond 0 .. 9 and functions and no trackball/mouse (why not a IBM thinkpad style or gamepad wobble pad/stick though?) is mostly limited to browse & select.

One App store, one name of OS and one GUI is just a confusion. At least Apple and Google differentiate a bit (iOS, OS X and Android, Chrome).

After trying to shoehorn the Win3.x then Win95 style on everything they make the opposite mistake of Zune interface on everything.

By all means have a single coherent API for all devices so programmers have less to learn and make less mistakes. But this doesn't mean you should normally do the same application identically for all platforms. Unless it's maybe a game with simple interface or a trivial program. Even then it might not want to be full screen on everything.

Even running phone apps on a PC in a "phone/small tablet sized window" is rarely going to work well. Touch vs keyboard and mouse with no touch.

Most phone apps are either too trivial, or awkward or more limited than many paid or free programs on a Laptop. Also I want to get away from MS dependency on desktop, not get locked into it.

I can use the phone on WiFi beside laptop anyway.

12. Gil Grissum

Unified Code Base with an Arm Emulator that allows use of X86 apps would make a Surface RT a useable Tablet solution. If Microsoft gets there before Apple does, this will be interesting.

13. Keep Refrigerated

Windows Distro?

internally it's known as the "Spring 2014 GDR"

So,

1) They're calling it a "distribution" now?

2) They still can't seem to get a consistent naming convention for their OS from one release to the next!

14. Michael Habel

Well even more incentive to go Linux in 2014.

Mark my words this will end badly for Microsoft....

15. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Makes sense.

I mean, the whole "real Windows" "crappy fake ARM Windows" and "Windows phone" is a unholy mess, but there's no reason they can't have one app store, and it shows only compatible apps on your device.

Android does this, you can mark what size screen your app needs, Android version minimum, if it is making naughty use of NDK and is therefore only ARM, MIPS, or Intel-specific rather than portable, and so on, and your app just doesn't show up on a device if it's incompatible. Of course people (generally who don't know better) complain about "fragmentation" in the Android market because of this variety, ignoring that games that don't support lower end models are just like GTA V not running on a old low end PC, and that it's easy to make normal apps run on "everything" (my apps for instance are just marked Android 2.2+, no special requirements whatsoever.)

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Makes sense.

"I mean, the whole "real Windows" "crappy fake ARM Windows" and "Windows phone" is a unholy mess, but there's no reason they can't have one app store, and it shows only compatible apps on your device."

I suppose it all depends on how we interpret the news. The second half of the article and most of the comments appear to assume that MS are proposing a single API. The quotes in the first half of the article merely talk about having a single store website. That's quite a bit easier and possibly even sensible.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like