back to article New iPhone sells out, millions in hands of lucky fans, Cook cock a hoop ...

Apple has given itself a pat on the back after shifting nine million of its latest iPhone 5S and 5C models over their first weekend on sale. However, while we know that the iPhone 5S has sold out across the world, the success of the cheaper plastic-sheathed 5C is less clear. Apple has not broken down the new iPhone 5-series …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Same Apple release story we typically see.

- Our phone is so popular we sold out our supply.

- Best and most advanced iPhone ever.

- Fastest and revolutionary OS

- Happy end customers.

Only thing that changes is the date. Reminds me of the Russian Communist party in the eighties and their grain harvest estimates. Record breaking crop announcements followed by quiet deals to buy US wheat and rye.

1. SuccessCase

"Reminds me of the Russian Communist party in the eighties and their grain harvest estimates."

Why? That would indicate the figures are a fabrication. Read the Register and you would be forgiven for thinking so. They aren't however. iPhone first day sales are far stronger than they have ever been. Check this out:

http://www.asymco.com/2013/09/23/iphones-5c-and-5s-launch-performance-illustrated/

2. Chad H.

Difference of course being if the CCCP lied, they havent committed a crime, and even if they have they own the court.

If Apple lies, they open themselves to a criminal liability.

2. andreas koch
    Coffee/keyboard

Consider my ghast being flabbered.

9 million i*****?

Wow.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In other news today...

The Apple iPhone 5C fails to impress even the poorest market sector of cellphone buyers and since Apple made 5 times as many 5C's as they did 5S, Apple lost a shit-ton of cash even though they had record sales.

Long Duck Dong Co. LLC of China announces new covers to fit the iPhone 5C to make it look like the iPhone 5S. Stock is through the roof as sales for the new cover, hit 5 million sold in ONE DAY!

The US Federal Trade Commission is investigating Apple Corp today for price fixing and bait and switch tactics after the limited release of the new 5S. Leaked memo's point to Tim Cook telling the CEO of Best Buy in a private email to have his people point any unhappy customers to the 5C if the 5S sells out because they deliberately limited the supply of the 5S to make it appear to be a sellout, breaking new records and keeping the price of the 5S artificially high.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In other news today...

No, it's aimed at mums and girls, not tech heads. They will sell, it's just that mums and girlies don't stand outside shops at midnight to get one... They have more sense.

Not to mention upgrades who will wait.

It's hard on the Fandroids at the moment, they have very little hope to cling on to.... As they try to find fault.

1. GregC

Re: It's hard on the Fandroids at the moment, they have very little hope to cling on to

This comment intrigues me. Hope of what exactly? The Android user base continues to grow, and the OS itself continues to mature and improve (though just as with iOS we do seem to be reaching a point of diminishing returns...). *

* not a particular 'droid fan here, however it is the least worst option at the moment. I'd love to see a credible alternative emerge.

1. Mark .

Re: It's hard on the Fandroids at the moment, they have very little hope to cling on to

Quite - the OP talks of 200 million users, but Android has surpassed 1 billion activations, increasing by 1.5 million daily. I don't recall any media fanfare about that, it was just a footnote in a recent Google conference (the Nexus 7 release, I think).

Samsung alone are selling far more. And we should note that these sales figures are no longer for one device, but they're lumping the 5S and 5C together - why did the media never do this for Samsung's flagships? Apple always did better on "per device" sales due to only having one phone per generation, but the moment Apple have several phones, the media are now lumping all of Apple's sales together?

I think Symbian's total sales was much more than 200 million. And Nokia's S40 already over one billion.

If they want to argue on sales, it's a losing battle. (Why does it matter wanyway? Should we also compare 91% Windows share to 6% OS X?) If we're arguing on quality - we like Android just fine.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It's hard on the Fandroids at the moment, they have very little hope to cling on to"

Really? I'm looking forward to the Nexus 5 launch. No daft gimmicks, no Fisher Price OS. Just a good phone at a far cheaper price.

2. Chad H.

fails to impress even the poorest market sector of cellphone buyers

Which is fine, because deadbeats with no money are not apple's target market.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

since Apple made 5 times as many 5C's as they did 5S, Apple lost a shit-ton of cash even though they had record sales.

How exactly do you leap to this conclusion? They will only lose money on those 5Cs if they're NEVER sold, which is ridiculous on the face of it. They may not be sold out like the 5S, but they aren't going to sit on the shelves until they become obsolete and have to be written off like Blackberry's ill fated tablet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: In other news today...DougS fails to understand the concept of satire, irony, humor etc.

Extended title says it all. BTW, the 5C WILL suffer the same fate as the Blackberry and Surface Tablet because the idiots FAILED TO PROPERLY READ THE MARKET!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's 9 million.....

....more mugs, with more money than grey matter.

1. messele

Re: That's 9 million.....

To be fair probably 8.9999 million of them are never going to read your comment and wouldn't care a shit what you think if they did.

Who's the mug? The mug, or the mug who wastes their time mug-watching.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Also, 8.8 million of them are never going to use their new phone for anything other than Instagram and Twitter with the occasional text or phone call, all stuff a 4S or a Nokia 620 could do as well at a fraction of the cost

1. Philippe

not the Nokia 620 I am afraid because there still isn't an instagram app for the thing.

Can the 3 WindowsPhone users please abstain from commenting as they're embarrassing themselves every time and wasting a huge amount of screen real estate.

Thanks

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Funny, a quick glance at the Win Phone Apps store showed at least a dozen Instagram apps.

and I'm an LG user. Android.

You're welcome

2. Getriebe

Phillippe - the other two are with me - and so I can get 100% of the global WP population in agreement that 6tag is as good as the iOS version. ergo your first proposition is wrong.

2. Philomena Cunk

Yep, and I have plenty of snake oil to sell them...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let me rephrase

9 million mugs got mugged by the ultimate muggers !

6. RaidOne

Not very proud of it, but

Drake is Canadian. Or North American, if you want :)

7. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
    Trollface

Johnny Cash moment

Sucks to be one of those fandroids who've spent the last weeks telling anybody who'll listen that Apple are idiots, the 5S is priced out of the stratosphere, nobody will buy such a crappy handset, etc etc etc.

That's 9 million reasons to STFU next time, mmkay?

Sorry, but a little balance from the pro-Apple side is called for every now and then.

1. Mark .

Re: Johnny Cash moment

Citation needed - where's the major media coverage that it would have zero sales? All I've heard is 6 years of wall to wall hype about how it's going to dominate, yet it failed to do so, when actually Nokia and Samsung silently outsell them, with Symbian and then Android being the number one dominant OS.

It's the same story we'll hear again - "but then next one will sell more than them, honest!"

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
        WTF?

@Mark

Are you serious?

iPhone 5S is a TELEPHONE.

Nokia/Samsung are COMPANIES.

Symbian/Android are OPERATING SYSTEMS.

Telephone!=Operating System!=Company, and the iPhone spent years kicking seven shades of shit out of the competition's TELEPHONES before they managed to catch up.

1. Mark .

Re: @Mark

And "the iphone" is not a single telephone, but a whole telephone platform, which is why comparing to Android phones or Symbian phones is accurate. Alternatively, it's all the telephones sold by one company, which is why comparing to Samsung or Nokia telephones is fair. The idea that "the iphone"s "spent years kicking seven shades of shit out of the competition's TELEPHONES before they managed to catch up" is pure fantasy with no factual basis. The iphone 5S that you refer to was not released in 2007.

Comparing individual devices has problems (if one company sells 101 ice creams, whilst another sells 100 ice creams and 100 more ice creams with flakes, you're telling me that the former is more successful?) But if you want to compare by single devices - well firstly, that 9 million is halved, as it's for two devices. Secondly, know what the best selling smartphone is? It's the Nokia 5230, released in 2009.

If you're going to get so enthusiastic about selling telephones (who cares? Do you go on that company X sells more washing machines than everyone else?), at least get your facts right first, so you enthuse over the correct company or platform.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: @Mark

The original post was talking about the 5S, as was the whole article. You compared the 5S to Nokia & Samsung, and Symbian & Android as OS's - which is idiotic by any definition. Don't talk to me about getting facts right when you're the one comparing a single device to entire ecosystems.

For reference, my original post:

"Sucks to be one of those fandroids who've spent the last weeks telling anybody who'll listen that Apple are idiots, the 5S is priced out of the stratosphere, nobody will buy such a crappy handset, etc etc etc."

...and your response:

Citation needed - where's the major media coverage that it would have zero sales? All I've heard is 6 years of wall to wall hype about how it's going to dominate, yet it failed to do so, when actually Nokia and Samsung silently outsell them, with Symbian and then Android being the number one dominant OS.

You truly have nowhere to go on this. Give up.

8. mafoo

Cardinal Sin Reg

"Some 11 million people have now used Apple's new iRadio service, with the most popular song being Hold On, We’re Going Home by American rapper/singer Drake. "

Tsk tsk, calling a Canadian an American.

1. Vector
      Devil

Re: Cardinal Sin Reg

"Tsk tsk, calling a Canadian an American"

Canada's in America...

North America...

VERY North America!

9. Chad H.

Think I need to become a stock analyst

All I need to do is make sure 50% of what I say is obvious common sense, and the other 50% Stupidly ridiculous comments.

10. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Déjà vu?

They must have changed something in the reality distortion field.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pent up demand

which wasn't met by the fandroid alternatives.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Pent up demand

What kind of "pent up demand" is that though? More like karmic lust.

12. toadwarrior
    Trollface

Don't worry fandroids, I'm sure Apple will completely disappear next year. Then you won't have to be angry and butt hurt.

1. hungee

haha. yeah mate so butthurt

As a fandroid and anti-apple activist i would like to say.

Don't care. It is still overpriced and ridiculous phone.

also, Most of the reason I hated apple so fervently because they were doing their best to restrict other ecosystems by using frivolous patents such as "rounded corners". I don't really care what other people do, i just wanted choice to flourish unrestricted by the "supposed" innovation of rotten fruits.

Now that android has a) bigger market share, b) an open ecosystem, c) as many apps, d) a mature market for phones, tablets, googletv, etc - I don't really care what fanbois choose to do with their money because Android has come into its own and iOS is really becoming irrelevant to my tech life. If 9 million people want a glowing golden apple then I say good on them.. because I don't and I am happy with my choice and that because of competition you fanbois have wonderful new innovations like notification/control centre thanx to android; and bright pastel colours thanx to winpho8.

You are welcome, by the way :)

13. jon 13
    Paris Hilton

Paris calling

Yeah, well nobody cares about Cubase anyway, it's Commodore all the way and it's all about the games. You are such ST-sissies if you think Atari is going to win.

14. Sheep!

They could sell it for millions....

That customer list must be gold dust! 9 million fully qualified leads to people who have proven they will buy any old crap if it's just sold to them in the right way!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fandroids.

You really are a bitter bunch of fuckwads.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still

I-thingys dont wipe my bottom OR make my coffee. ( that includes the Gold ones, too!)

If St. Jobs was alive, I bet they would clamour to buy his daily turds too!

Wankers, all.

17. disgruntled yank

Drake

Right, but you're still identifying him as an artist.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like