back to article Phil Collins' daughter 'will give you A VIRUS' – security bods

Phil Collins' actress daughter is the celebrity most likely to give your equipment a nasty virus, security firm McAfee has warned. Its annual McAfee Most Dangerous CelebritiesTM study warned clicking on search links after Googling Lily Collins could flood your system with malware. The second most infectious celeb is Sk8r Boi …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Yag
    Devil

Real information...

... or just a VIRAL promotion hoax for the actress?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Real information...

Probably real. I have yet to see a Sandra B*ll*cks DVD which has not been damaged with some form of malware "anti-rip" protection to ensure that you cannot watch it on your PC. That pretty much puts her on the "ban list" in my household straight away.

2. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: Real information...

... or just a VIRAL promotion hoax for the actress?

I think you meant "hacktress", there.

3. Mtech25
    Devil

Personally if i was spreading a virus

I would have focused on one direction and Justin Beiber fans I suspect they would be easy prey.

1. Peter Jones 2

Re: Personally if i was spreading a virus

"Easy prey". A bit on the nose considering the recent arrest of someone who got teenage girls to cavort on webcams by pretending to be the Idiot Noisebox they call Beiber.

2. TheProf
        Happy

" the Idiot Noisebox they call Beiber."

So you are acquainted with his ourve.

2. Lamont Cranston
      Unhappy

Mortal Instruments is probably the next Twilight/Hunger Games/Harry Potter, so full marks to the virus makers for staying abreast of the current trends.

Full marks to them for being appalling human beings, too.

1. Andrew Moore

I heard that the sequels have been cancelled because the first film did so poorly...

3. Raumkraut

Perhaps one of the reasons Lily Collins is high on the list, rather than more tempting targets like Bieber, is the amount of noise (from the perspective of malware distributors) already existing around those search terms?

There are likely to be 100 trillion-gazillion search results for Bieber - some of them possibly even of a higher quality than malware sites. But for Lily Collins, far fewer relevant results. Hence meaning it's probably easier for malware pages to rise to a more prominent position for somewhat lesser-publicised celebrities.

4. Ben Rose

She's a bigger act than you think...

Lily Collins has actually been in quite a few movies, I've seen her in a couple of things recently, I doubt she needs any more promotion.

Mirror Mirror was perhaps the most memorable where she played Snow White alongside Julia Roberts' wicked Queen. She even sang one of the main songs in it. I checked carefully and it was disappointed to find it wasn't produced by the Genesis guy either.

1. Crisp

Re: She's a bigger act than you think...

I wonder how she got the job?

1. fandom

Being gorgeous probably helped

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, the colour of money goes a long way.

As Mrs Merton once said to Debbie McGee "Tell me, what first attracted you the the millionaire Paul Daniels".

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Being gorgeous probably helped

Gorgeous she may be, but what if you couldn't avoid thinking of her Dads ugly mug just at that "critical moment" in the love making process?

Now, having implanted that thought in your minds I'm going to have lunch.

5. Richard 51
    Black Helicopters

Who cares?

If you have McAffee's products installed you can click on any links with impunity or can you?

1. Irongut

Re: Who cares?

If you have McAffee's products installed the only link you should click on is the one labelled UNINSTALL!

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
        Unhappy

the only link you should click on is the one labelled UNINSTALL!

If only it were so easy

1. Splodger

Uninstall, then run the McAfee Uninstall tool available halfway down the page here:

https://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

Then run CCleaner or Revo Uninstaller (both free versions) to get rid of the rest.

McAfee is without doubt the worst antivirus software I've used. Total garbage.

6. Jess

mortal instruments.

That was quite a good film. (If you ignore that it is VERY clichéed) went with friends and family, everyone enjoyed it.

Acting and effects were good.

Didn't realise who her old man was though.

7. Smallbrainfield
    Coat

I wonder if she inherited his hair?

Fortunately she doesn't seem to have inherited his looks.

Phil Collins was once described as permanently looking like he had a stocking pulled over his face.

8. armyknife

Nothing the Wiser.

I too had never heard of this person before.

And googling left me still none the wiser.

I'm pleased to be getting older and not giving a flying something about most trivia.

Still don't know who Miles Cryus is either.

2. Maharg

Re: Nothing the Wiser.

Lily Collins was a main character in a film called The Blind Side, I don’t know if you have heard of it, it only grossed over $300 Million, and was nominated for two Oscars, Best Picture and Best Actress, being piped to Best Picture by the Hurt Locker (deservedly so) and winning the Best Actress, as well as winning a best picture Golden Globe and a load of other awards. She was also the lead in the film Mirror Mirror, which made over $100 Million and was also Oscar nominated (all be it for Best Costume design).

Not saying I’m a fan of her, and I understand the attempt at the joke, but in she’s not exactly unknown, to put it another way Michael Caine (heard of him?) was in his 30s before he was in an Oscar nominated film, and 50 before he was in a film that won an Oscar, she’s been in 2 nominated and one winning before she was 23.

Miles (Miley) Cryus is the daughter of Country and Western “singer” Billy Ray Cryus, she enjoys licking hammers and is most well-known for disregarding health and safety regulations and not wearing correct PPE while on a building site, as well as leaving people looking for the latest released Bruce Springsteen Album with a dodgy browser history (That’s my excuse and I am sticking to it).

1. Mtech25
        Trollface

You talking about blindside the family guy episode or made for tv movie because that is a lot of money to make either way

1. Maharg

Re: Nothing the Wiser. @Mtech25

The 2009 Oscar winning Movie ‘The Blind Side’ is based on a number of acclaimed stories of the same name, while it does take most of its source material from the book, it added a number of plot details from both the afore mentioned straight to video move and Family Guy episode, namely the part where Sandra Bullock commits a hit and run in Mexico on a Police officer and then disposes of the body, and Lilly Collins plays a blind character who is tricked into dating a talking dog by an extremely intelligent baby with an Upper class English accent. The music for the film was also scored by Swedish post-hardcore band Blindside.

All of the male roles were in fact played by Harvey Keitel, star of the HBO movie Blind Side, which for a number of scenes required him to gain a large amount of weight, grow an extra foot and a half in height, play American football professionally and be black.

In the scenes mentioned with Lilly Collins he played both the English Baby and the dog, by first losing the weight and height needed for the football player to play the baby, and growing hair and a tail to play the dog, the scenes were recorded in super slow motion allowing Harvey to move quickly around the sound stage so he could interact with himself, this added a realness that digitally adding him as other characters would not allow, due to this process the movie began shooting in 1987, only being completed in 2008.

Unfortunately due to the strain put on Harvey’s body from all the changes he is now stuck as a 2 and a half foot tall black man with a tail and a lot of body hair and an English accent, he now has to undergo 20 hours of intensive makeup and wear extremely tall shoes while being overdubbed by sample of his voice from previous movies to play a middle age white American.

A true method actor.

2. armyknife

Maharg

"Lily Collins was a main character in a film called The Blind Side, I don’t know if you have heard of it, it only grossed over $300 Million, and was nominated for two Oscars, Best Picture and Best Actress, being piped to Best Picture by the Hurt Locker (deservedly so) and winning the Best Actress, as well as winning a best picture Golden Globe and a load of other awards. She was also the lead in the film Mirror Mirror, which made over $100 Million and was also Oscar nominated (all be it for Best Costume design)."

Not heard of this either, my initial response is it's another product some marketer wants me to buy, it appears to have gotten some awards handed out by people who work in that industry and have a vested interest in promoting their products.

My general approach to films is to really on word of mouth and above all the test of time, if something is still regarded as a good film 5,10 or 15 years down the line, I'll get around to watching it.

"Not saying I’m a fan of her, and I understand the attempt at the joke, but in she’s not exactly unknown,"

I wasn't a joke, I'd simple very heard of her, nor for that matter many people who appear in tabloid too.

1. Maharg

Re: Nothing the Wiser. @Army Knife

So, what you are saying is you haven’t seen a film made after 2008, and you do not pay attention to any news, advertisements, reviews or talk to anyone about films that are showing at the cinema?

I apologise, I assumed I was replying to someone who had a slight interest in the subject, and who had at least a passing knowledge of what was going on.

Personally I like to comment on subjects that I have no idea about as well, for instance when I hear people talking about Mongolian parliamentary matters, I often say “Zandaakhuugiin Enkhbold? Never heard of him.” I feel it is a valid contribution and something I should take time to write on the internet and share with the world, because the point that I have no idea what I am talking about is just as important and matters to the discussion.

1. armyknife

No the subject was about people being hoodwinked into installing a virus because they clicked on a link about a celebrity, I commented that I'd never heard of them, didn't care about them and by implication I'd be entirely unlikely to wish to find out more.

You however seem to have an encyclopaedic knowledge about them and the latest hyped product they starred in; in my view that's trivia, but you might be more their target audience?

1. Maharg

“encyclopaedic knowledge about them and the latest hyped product they starred”

I saw the Blindside before I knew who she was, and I haven’t seen Mirror Mirror, but then again I haven’t seen Fast and Furious 2,3,4,5 or 6 but I know most of them have Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and the Rock in them.

But Fair enough. I see your point.

9. J.G.Harston Silver badge
    FAIL

Why are people doing web searches for pr0n while logged on as Admin?

1. Fading
      Paris Hilton

Everyone knows you get better pr0n that way........

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Maybe they needed to switch off the content filters.

10. Lloyd

Is that why I've gone bald?

Have I got the Collins virus?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I normally frown on reg clickbait, but this got me. 10/10.

12. heyrick Silver badge
    Happy

Oh well...

I guess I'm safe looking up Chihiro Onitsuka and others that the majority have likely never heard of...

13. Nym
    Go

You mean...

Those nude photos of Lewis Page I downloaded aren't REAL??

*hint, he works for the Reg

1. unitron
      Joke

Re: You mean...

" You mean...

Those nude photos of Lewis Page I downloaded aren't REAL??"

I'd say count your blessings that they aren't.

Can't resist a straight line.

Would have worked better visually with the icon over on the left like it's supposed to be.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Phil Collins' daughter 'will give you A VIRUS'

I was actually unaware of this person until today. However, after a few minutes of research, I'd certainly take the risk of contracting pretty much any infection she might have.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Give cases where caught virus just by visiting site (i.e. NOT downloading & running anything)

I can't seem to find definitive credible cases where people have caught a virus or malware by *just* visiting a site.

It seems to me that the problem is with people being thick and downloading and running/installing whatever it is that one would find on the sites.

I would still like to support the concern that there may be a way to infect a user's machine just through visiting a site but I can't find any other explanation the above.

If you have decent anti-virus, firewall and a patched machine and just visit, i.e. not download and run anything then where is the problem?

I'm very happy to be enlightened/corrected.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like