back to article Dev delays push ship date of Metro-ized Firefox to January 2014

The Mozilla Foundation has quietly delayed the release of the version of its Firefox browser for Windows 8's Start Screen yet again, citing slower-than-expected development. According to notes posted from the most recent Mozilla planning meeting, which took place on Thursday, the velocity of the Firefox Metro team decreased by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 35

Since you can already install the desktop version

I find it hard to care about a not-metro version.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still waiting for someone to use Windows 8 first.

I mean who actually USES metro?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still waiting for someone to use Windows 8 first.

Presumably the odd Windows 8 defender on here, although they are generally busier accusing everyone who sees no benefit in Metro of being Linux fanboys, or Windows 7 / XP users as luddites, due to the lack of decent applications in Metro to keep them amused.

3. Splodger
    Stop

Dear Mozilla...

Don't bother, nearly everybody (normal) hates the Metro type interface.

And stop screwing around with non-Metro Firefox. We don't want it to look like/act like Chrome.

If we did, we'd use Chrome. Don't do a Microsoft.

Ta.

4. rcorrect

"because Microsoft has steadfastly refused to give outside developers access to the resources they need to build a functioning browser for that platform."

Microsoft should be begging Mozilla to develop Firefox for Windows RT.

5. Caspy7

Why It Matters

For those who hate Metro and wonder why this matters:

1) Windows 8 only allows *one* default browser for both environments. If you don't have a Metro version then users will eschew you in lieu of an alternate browser.

2) Windows 8 has become an inevitability. New PCs ship with Windows 8 and with Microsoft finally dropping support for Windows XP, there will be yet another large influx of Windows 8 users - either from users upgrading to the latest OS or simply replacing their computers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why It Matters

" Windows 8 only allows *one* default browser for both environments. If you don't have a Metro version then users will eschew you in lieu of an alternate browser."

Only for those willing to be told to use Metro. Classic Shell stops me having to even see the Metro interface, and I really couldn't give a tinkers cuss whether there is a Metro version of Firefox. I know the arrogant tossers at Microsoft can keep trying to make it more and more difficult to avoid their shitheaded design, but ultimately I think that the future MS are crafting is one where home users decide that they don't need to use Microsoft products. But for running games, I'd be using Mint already.

2. ricegf

Re: Why It Matters

@Caspy7 "Windows 8 has become an inevitability"

I think you misspelled "inveterate liability". ;-)

6. Andrew Meredith

Hold on .. isn't that illegal

The article says "Microsoft has steadfastly refused to give outside developers access to the resources they need to build a functioning browser for [ARM-based Windows RT OS]"

Surely this must break the "anti-gangster" rules they've already been convicted of breaking .. twice now isn't it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like