back to article Seagate rejected buyout offer for Virident – analyst

Hard drive supremos Seagate had first refusal on buying out enterprise flash startup Virident – and turned it down, leaving WD free to snap it up for $685m. This little bombshell burst forth from a report on a Seagate Analyst Day by Stifel Nicolaus' chief, Aaron Rakers. A second juicy nugget was that Rakers thinks there were …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jon Smit

Good

Everything Seagate makes and buys turns to shit.

2. Muhammad Imran/mi1400

secret plan... my aassss

Basically Seagate is pretending in some high esteemed egoistic mutlated form of balmer. who does not look down while walking, it makes watch WD etc walking around too. anyway thing is since EVs are a "stopgap" for hydrogen fuel cells. ARM are a stopgap for MIPS. seagate is in wishful thinking that NAND is "stopgap" for ReRAM and similar. And over that seagate thinks that competitors already have milked this NAND cow so hard that blood might start oozing out any time soon... seeing Samsung-840-Pro it seems to look like right now.. as samsung had to do Vertical NAND and overclock controller memory. So disbanding of NAND could be in 1-2 years cuz HP ReRAM is very close to production. All said and done i hate seagate to my guts over this thinking... and wish WD all the best to start with NAND and parallel invest in HP ReRAM i.e. Friend of its Friend Hynix. So much of ur secretive plans Seagate ... [SPIT] ...

And Ahan ... one more thing... there is no 3.5" drive with enough low power to exploit USB voltages... their is still a HDD segment vacant where NO AC adapter 4-TB "semi" portable HDDs could be deviced to use just USB voltage. i have seen articles where 3.5" desktop WD drives in normal/lower throughput mode use power just what USB can deliver ... the problem was the drive any second can decide to go in higher performance state hence disapear from DeviceManager. WD has to just cap/throtle that and release a robust RED version being performance conservative (no problem) but delivering on AC adapter free operation. So much of ur secretive plans Seagate ... [SPIT] ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: secret plan... my aassss

So you're just going to post this on every WD/Seagate article? We get it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like