back to article Foursquare gets pushy with fandroids, touchy Windows 8 bods

Foursquare has started pushing itself into the Android notification bar and supporting Windows 8, as the company tries to turn its location-announcing app into a real business. The latest version of Foursquare for Android doesn't wait for users to check in before telling them about local services in which they might be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. h3

Push Notification Advertising is the worst thing that anybody has done yet on Android.

1. JDX Gold badge

Not if you can control which apps are allowed to do it. Can you?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

On Android 4.0+ you can prevent notifications from an application, but unless the application provides options, you can't choose which notifications to block.

Personally, as soon as an application spams my notification bar, it gets uninstalled.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On the other hand...

They dropped the Symbian version, leaving users of the antiquated pre-Micro$oft Nokia phones out in the cold. Very uncool.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: On the other hand...

Considering I see more Windows Phones than I do Nokia Symbian smartphones, it's hardly surprising that they've dumped Symbian. I know a lot of people want to hang on to it, but it seems to me that most of the people who want to hang on to it are Android users who view it through rose-tinted spectacles. Symbian was long in the tooth, flakey, inconsistent in its UI and could be quite crashy by the end. It's what drove me away from Nokia having had Nokia phones for about 15 years.

3. auburnman
    Stop

I thought Google had just changed the App T's & C's so that push notifications/adverts are now a big no-no? Someone's gonna have to pull a u-turn, and it ain't gonna be big G...

4. Tom 7

I might like to try that

if I'd taken some toxic hallucinogens or had someone else's phone in my hand and they'd just killed my dog.

1. Don Jefe

Re: I might like to try that

Valley Veterinary Clinic and Companion Creamation is .5km from your current location.

5. Number6

I don't see why anyone would give their location to a company such as Foursquare in the first place.

1. Don Jefe
      Happy

Tech Gap

Jesus man, what the hell is wrong with you? If you don't use Foursquare how will your Facebook friends know where the party's at? Carrier Pigeon? Telegraph? Semaphore?

There's no other way to keep in touch with your friends; the technology simply doesn't exist. The app installs on your smartphone and any of your friends that have smartphones can also install it in seconds. They really make it easy and their tech support is fabulous! You can contact them for help via email or txt or SMS or online chat!

1. Nanki Poo
        Pint

Re: Tech Gap

@ Don Jefe

You're so going to get flamed. But I see what you did there. ;)

nK

6. Big-nosed Pengie

Wait...

They want people to install an app whose specific function is to spam you?

Really?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like