back to article WTF is... backend-as-a-service?

It was only a matter of time until a company like Firebase appeared, saw some success, and went into general availability, but that isn't helping with the nauseous term for its tech: backend-as-a-service. Software-as-a-service? Sure. Infrastructure? Bit expensive, but fine. Database? Mad idea, but okay if you have a lot of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Backend as a Service"

Isn't that proctology, and doesn't it require a license?!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

I think there are 'open source' practitioners as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ Nicho

"I think there are 'open source' practitioners as well."

Strictly closed source here !

2. TheVogon
      Mushroom

Presumably complimentary to A Resilient Service Environment

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Surely this market segment is already covered by RentBoy.com....

2. Nate Amsden

sounds like SaaS

they are providing an API, so that would be software as a service, quite literally.

stupid marketers trying to invent new buzzwords.

3. Don Jefe

This is old news. People have been providing Backend As A Service with 100% uptime guarantees forever: Ask your Congressman or MP where to find service providers in your area.

Virus and infection measures are the responsibility of the client, so use common sense and follow best practices when interfacing with your chosen service provider.

4. Christian Berger

This could work with free software

I mean sure, they are providing a service, but do you want to be stuck with that service till eternity?

Free software would turn this ludicrous idea into something that just make make a bit of sense.

5. Martin Ryan

"Database? Mad idea, but okay if you have a lot of stuff up their."

Up their what, I wonder?

1. Danny 14
      Joke

Serviced backend?

6. d3rrial

Customer as a Service

I should freelance and get paid for offering Customer as a Service.

7. Annihilator
    Happy

According to the PFY, the back-end server as a service is the other side of the rack servers

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so if you're an idiot who deploys this

You'd be a BaaStard?

9. Vociferous

Hmmm... I could see people who want to build an MMORPG on the cheap using this.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Keeps giving

"We want customers to advantage of this opening and spread it around the main tools of their business.

For those who see the value being covered from all angles while pushing forward we feel we can accommodate all comers.

Although we are offering the backend business functions we see also as part of the offering a firm grasp on members interests and provide uplift for those parts front of shop.

We see cyclical movements in business but also new directions, so from whatever angle you see your thrust going forward, we can embrace and enlarge your offering...."

11. Mike Flugennock
    Coat

I realize some of you may be tempted to make a dirty joke...

...about "backend as a service", but I'd urge you to refrain.

1. Alister

Re: I realize some of you may be tempted to make a dirty joke...

I'm afraid you're way too late, sorry

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably illegal in Russia

1. stragen001
      Coat

I understand that some people pay to get their backend "serviced", but I thought that was illegal most places!

Ill get my coat...

2. Rukario

In Soviet Russia, backend services you.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Google and Facebook and other companies operate internal systems like this"

It's not just internal for Google. This is exactly how app updates are pushed through the Play store. Google also offer an open API[1] for developers to use to push messages to individual or multiple Android devices and also covers delayed delivery if the device is offline etc.

[1] http://developer.android.com/google/gcm/gcm.html

14. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

I sing their praise.

Or rather these guys will

And I think the technical term for an early adopter is BaaS' tard

15. NomNomNom

As a service I can't see it getting off the ground

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Backend as a Service - BaaS?

Gotter be a sheep joke here, surely?

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Backend as a Service - BaaS?

"Gotter be a sheep joke here, surely?"

Well...

It's all about privacy and security and of course sheep don't tell.

17. jon 68

While this is completely engaging and obviously a great addition to the list of ASSes.. err AASs available, I have developed the new service that is is the penultimate service to be provided by cloudy providers..

It's called CEOaas..

It's human interface portal or 'HIP' will process any natural language request or API call and provide the best advice any human CEO could provide or better. Boards across the world will be astounded by the cost savings appreciated by this service, and the increased efficiency made available.

The benefits are apparent, the results are at least what you're getting today, if not better.

18. ChristopherPontac

It looks like this is a push messaging service, of which there are lots. See: http://www.programmableweb.com/apitag/?q=push

19. SeymourHolz

Miley Cyrus did a backend-as-a-service advertisement on the video music awards last night.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like