A REGISTERED TRADEMARK Story?

This topic was created by JP 6 .

1. JP 6

A REGISTERED TRADEMARK Story?

I was reading the news stories for July 29 and notice that most (but not all) have a Registered Trademark symbol at the end of the story. (The circle R, or in HTML: &#174 in case this ® does not translate.)

Some of the other stories have a copyright (Circle C symbol). A few have neither.

The circle C (for copyright) certainly belongs in some stories. The circle R should only be on Registered Trademarks (such as the vulture symbol for The Register®.)

I suspect that any article sent to the trademark officer might be rejected. A copyright should apply. Not a trademark.

I am just so eager to see if this information will affect a change in your archives or future articles intended for copyright by The Reg.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: A REGISTERED TRADEMARK Story?

"A copyright should apply. Not a trademark."

Er. All our in-house stories should have a (R) symbol at the end: That's our style. It's been that way since the start. It harks back to the old traditional printed magazine style of putting a version of the title's logo at the end of articles.

C.

1. LinkOfHyrule
        Paris Hilton

Re: A REGISTERED TRADEMARK Story?

If you ever do change the house style then I think you should opt for Paris inside a circle. Sort of like a no smoking sign but instead its a YES Paris sign!

I think that would really work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon