back to article Who will Dr Who chew in 50th TV do before Matt Smith bids adieu?

Doctor Who will face a whole bunch of Daleks and a liberal sprinkling of Zygons in his 50th TV anniversary special, says the BBC. Doctor Who to face the Daleks in 50th Anniversary episode Exterminate! Exter- I mean, extinguishate! Extinguishate! The Doctor, in his David Tennant, Matt Smith and new John Hurt iterations, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hilibnist
    Thumb Up

Quite right too

The Zygons are definitely overdue another outing and I hope they have a kick-ass skarasen that does justice to thirty-odd years of SFX improvements!

As for the daleks... you don't have to like all the recent versions of them, but it would have been a missed opportunity if they weren't there. Fingers crossed it all lives up to the expectation.

2. Paul Dx
    Stop

Daleks again. YAWN.

1. NogginTheNog
      Thumb Down

ROSE TYLER again. FFS!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Daleks again. YAWN."

Much as I'm inclined to agree with you as an adult, that's slightly offset by the fact that I vaguely recall my earliest memories of Doctor Who (when I must have been 4 or so) are of watching it mainly for the Daleks- not Tom Baker's Doctor!- and being disappointed when they weren't featured.

That said, I'm not claiming that they should write it solely with 4-year-olds in mind either, and the inclusion of the Daleks was possibly the least surprising thing they could have done. Unless it turns out that they're being controlled by Adric, of course. (^_^)

1. Intractable Potsherd

I was bored with Daleks by Jon Pertwee's iteration of the Doctor. The only time I think I have ever actually liked the pepper-potoid creatures was in "Daleks – Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D.", though I don't know why.

1. Anonymous Custard
          Terminator

I think the fact that we've had as many "last of their kind" Daleks as Doctor regenerations recently hasn't helped. It was OK as a one-off plot idea, but even in the rebooted series it was reused at least 3 times I think.

It's the Doctor who's supposed to regenerate, not the script plot devices...

3. Shrimpling

Thanks El Reg for trying not to spoil it from the headline

The BBC have published a photo with the headline "Daleks return for Dr Who 50th anniversary" on their news site. Way to build up the suspense there guys!

1. Annihilator
      Paris Hilton

Re: Thanks El Reg for trying not to spoil it from the headline

I'd hardly consider revealing that the Daleks were featuring to be a spoiler. A real spoiler would be revealing that John Hurt's incarnation mates with a Dalek to create a Who-lek....

Anyone who considers mention of Daleks to be a spoiler will probably need to switch their TV off between now and airing, as the trailers will no doubt feature similar bits of information.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Who-leks? or Who-rleks? (sounds positively malty).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed. It's ridiculous that they spoil things like that, but I guess if they didn't, someone else would. Oh for the good old days of phone boxes, proper Spangles and not knowing what was going to happen in Doctor Who! I even remember regenerations being a surprise! Well, that may be pushing it a bit as there was always a build-up to it, but dammit, I'm old enough to be stubborn enough to remember it that way!

3. Intractable Potsherd

Telling the world that the Daleks are going to be in the 50th anniversary special is as much of a spoiler as telling people that the Doctor will be in it.

4. RealBigAl

He's beating up on the Daleks again? Don't they ever get bored?

1. Number6

Clara wiped the slate clean in her guest appearance before becoming the regular companion. They all forgot about him so he gets to do it all again.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They're another set of daleks from an alternative reality (of which there are an infinite number).

Why not have friendly good daleks for a change? :)

1. Anonymous Custard

Why not have friendly good daleks for a change? :)

Been there, done that already - serving tea in WW2. At least for a while anyway.

OK it was a ploy, but somehow it just didn't sit right. The better idea was the different and inter-fighting Dalek factions, but even the old version of the show covered that one (Davros' daleks vs the Emporer's daleks) if I remember correctly.

5. Studley

"Click if you don't mind a mild anniversary special spoiler"

...Or hover over the hyperlink, for that matter.

6. John70
    Joke

50th Anniversary Ending

The Doctor whips out his Sonic Screwdriver and saves the day

1. Tom 13
      Joke

Re: 50th Anniversary Ending

Dammit! Now you ruined everything.

I was hoping he'd do something new and original like reversing the polarity of the neutron flow.

7. JDX Gold badge

SPOILER! SPOILER! SPOILER!

It will also feature the Tardis.

8. Slacker@work
    Pint

Joanna Page.....

...was she on the list of prospective new Doctor's???

9. Paul Westerman
    Pint

It's for kids

Grow up!

</publandlord>

1. sorry, what?

Re: It's for kids

Malformed XML Exception.

Whilst it is a bit more childish than it used to be, it is still "entertainment for all ages". It's more "movie" than "film" fodder these days. I still enjoy turning off my ridicule generator, disconnecting my disbelief circuit, cranking up the sonics, sitting back and chortling at the splendiferous obviousity (Gee Dubyuh's TM probably) of it all.

1. Paul 129
        Happy

Dalek

I want to hear one say

"Malformed XML Exception!"

Before going on a murderous rampage. PLEASE!

(Malformed XML is always a good reason for a muderous rampage!)

10. Elmer Phud

Filter tip

I've got Social Fixer to filter out any Dr Who related posts so I never see them.

Now I'm not sure which is worse -- the Who's Who or the constant guff about the impending issue of another state scrounger.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Filter tip

obviously not working very well

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting they mention John Hurt, the mystery incarnation revealed at the end of last season. The rumors continue to fly about just where Hurt fits in the life of the Doctor. Was he a "forsaken" incarnation between the Eighth and Ninth Doctors? Was he "The Other"—The Doctor before he became The Doctor? Either one would explain why he's not acknowledged as "The Doctor" and why he says he committed a terrible but necessary evil.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If in doubt wheel out the daleks again for the millioneth time.

13. Cthonus

Much as I religiously sit down every Saturday to watch it I do find myself enjoying the old Pertwee/TBaker ones much more than the current reboot.

Maybe it's part nostalgia but in the absence of budget for special effects plot and characterisation played a big part in each episode. Now I feel the "plot" mainly involves the current incumbent girning to camera whilst flapping his magic wand in all directions at once. Characterisation should not be replaced by caricature.

Gatis scripts aside, Moffat's seem to be all spectical and little substance. Good for the occasional extravaganza but it's like overdosing on chocolate meringue. One bite and it substantively collapses.

On the plus side, the eye-candy has certainly improved :)

14. ps2os2

I am not amused by the current Mr Smith. I can only hope the next Dr Who will be more interesting.

This topic is closed for new posts.