back to article 'It's GOOD we stopped selling the iPhone'

NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden continues to cower in Russia this week as his options narrow and Russian president Vladimir Putin makes it known that he's unwelcome. The musclebound leader called Snowden an "unwanted gift" from America and said that the US campaign to ensure that he didn't hightail it off to some other …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Florence

Translation

My swearing in Finnish is a bit rusty, but doesn't "perkele" mean devil? I know it's more sweary than devil would be in English, but where did that "m*****f****r" come from?

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: Translation

It pretty much literally means "The Devil's C**t-Head" according to a previous post by a Finn.

1. Florence

Hah right, pää is head indeed. I like that literal translation much better.

2. Phil W

I have no real knowledge of Finnish, but it's rather odd that when you put "perkeleen" and "vittupää" into google translate seperately they come out as "the devil" and "m****rf****r" respectively, but put in together they come out as "f*****g m****rf****r".

Either Finnish as some really odd rules that change the meaning of a word when it's next to another word, or something is wrong with Google Translate. I've no idea which is more likely.

1. Florence
        Pint

Doesn't Google translate 'learn' from users' suggestions? I can easily imagine some drunken Finns on a Friday deciding the literal translation did not sound rude enough in English and going for "m*****f****r" because that's the rudest word you hear in American movies?

2. Major N

"Vittu" is indeed the Finnish variant of the C-word.

I once saw a car on the M1 with the reg plate "V1TTU"

I wonder if he knew....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

I think it may be:

"C*nting M*otherf*cker" or local equivalent.

The ideal debate for a friday - What to call the latest f*ckwith that's infuriated you.

Beer because, looking forward to one already.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Continues to cower, eh. The man has literally and knowingly put his life on the line exposing what the US and British governments are doing behind our backs. They are going so far as to force down independently sovereign nation's jets in an attempt to get him and all you can do is sneer. The man is one of the bravest people in the world imo so it's sad to see the Reg doing this sort of pathetic sneering even if it is a tradition around here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"They are going so far as to force down independently sovereign nation's jets in an attempt to get him and all you can do is sneer. "

You're confusing Assange and Snowden. Get your fucking martyrology straight and THEN do your dumbass preaching.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Big Brother

That's right.

The nazified white house and the "coloured" petulant gangster therein don't recognize "sovereign nations". It's all Amurrica.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Irony alert

Previous A/C

"They are going so far as to force down independently sovereign nation's jets in an attempt to get him and all you can do is sneer. "

You're confusing Assange and Snowden. Get your fucking martyrology straight and THEN do your dumbass preaching.

Erm. Wtf?

2. Aaron Miller

"Cower" is the word

If he had the courage of his supposed convictions, he'd emulate Manning and face judgment for what he's done.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Big Brother

Re: "Cower" is the word

If he had the courage of his supposed convictions, he'd emulate Manning and face judgment for what he's done.

Snowden made the right call when he fled the U.S.

After the New York Times had been enjoined from publishing the Pentagon Papers — on June 15, 1971, the first prior restraint on a newspaper in U.S. history — and I had given another copy to The Post (which would also be enjoined), I went underground with my wife, Patricia, for 13 days. My purpose (quite like Snowden’s in flying to Hong Kong) was to elude surveillance while I was arranging — with the crucial help of a number of others, still unknown to the FBI — to distribute the Pentagon Papers sequentially to 17 other newspapers, in the face of two more injunctions. The last three days of that period was in defiance of an arrest order: I was, like Snowden now, a “fugitive from justice.”

Yet when I surrendered to arrest in Boston, having given out my last copies of the papers the night before, I was released on personal recognizance bond the same day. Later, when my charges were increased from the original three counts to 12, carrying a possible 115-year sentence, my bond was increased to $50,000. But for the whole two years I was under indictment, I was free to speak to the media and at rallies and public lectures. I was, after all, part of a movement against an ongoing war. Helping to end that war was my preeminent concern. I couldn’t have done that abroad, and leaving the country never entered my mind.

There is no chance that experience could be reproduced today, let alone that a trial could be terminated by the revelation of White House actions against a defendant that were clearly criminal in Richard Nixon’s era — and figured in his resignation in the face of impeachment — but are today all regarded as legal (including an attempt to “incapacitate me totally”).

I hope Snowden’s revelations will spark a movement to rescue our democracy, but he could not be part of that movement had he stayed here. There is zero chance that he would be allowed out on bail if he returned now and close to no chance that, had he not left the country, he would have been granted bail. Instead, he would be in a prison cell like Bradley Manning, incommunicado.

3. Aaron Miller
      Facepalm

Oh, and "independently sovereign" is redundant; a sovereignty isn't dependent, and a protectorate isn't sovereign.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It's good we stopped selling the iPhone as these sales would've brought us a negative margin."

Well maybe you would have lost money on each one but you would have made it up in volume. Really.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: you would have made it up in volume.

Why? Are they louder?

2. Spanners Silver badge
      FAIL

AC @ 11:40 gmt

So they loose $10 per unit.

They sell a million.

Their losses are $10,000,000

No, that doesn't work. They will be better off selling smartphones instead...

5. mike acker

I guess we all need to learn to cuss in Finnish!!

seriously Heaven forbid we were without Linus. I personally think LINUX may be capable of correcting some of the extreemly bad thinking that has been incorporated into some software -- which now causes a LOT of Security Trouble

1. DropBear
      Devil

Yeah, it might be a good idea. Or, you know, you could future-proof it and learn to cuss in MANDARIN CHINESE...!

6. bearded bear can
    Boffin

The Finnish language

is incredibly difficult to comprend grammarwise if your native tounge is of Latin/German origin. Like Swedish and German, it is an extremely descriptive language; it creates new words as they are needed. For instance:

In Swedish: Kernel -> Kärna. Linux kernel is therefore 'Linuxkärna'. A brand new word, unlike English where the two words are kept separate.

On top of that, and this is the really difficult bit, new words appear depending on what you are doing to the Linux kernel and who's doing it; one word for someone compiling the kernel, another word for debugging the kernel, robbing the kernel, eating the kernel ..

Swedish is easier.

1. Levente Szileszky
      Thumb Up

Re: The Finnish language

I'm a native Hungarian speaker, I have to say you ain't seen nothing if you think Finnish grammar is hard - try Hungarian, it's often considered the second hardest (after Chinese) to crack for any Westerner...

7. Mookster
    Boffin

Vittu => Cnut (but Finn's use it like Fcuk is used in English)

Vittupää => CnutHead

Perklele = The Devil (instead of saying oh damn, Finns say Voi Perkele)

Perkeleen = The Devil's ...

1. Levente Szileszky
      IT Angle

So 'perkeleen vittu' should work, right...?

1. Mookster

yes. but "vituun vittu" may be more common.

8. tonysmith

Putin is hardly musclebound.

9. Electric Panda

Torvalds is Finnish by birth, but he was born into and brought up in a Swedish-speaking minority within Finland hence his obviously Swedish sounding name. His Finnish is conversationally excellent but he's not 100% fluent and it took him many years.

Finnish is an exceptionally strange and hideously complex language which doesn't seem to be in any way related to languages in the surrounding region. Swedish, Norwegian and Danish are quite similar but Finnish comes out of left field and makes no sense at all.

Spoiler alert: the eternal but dead President of North Korea, Kim Il Sung, was brought up speaking Mandarin and didn't speak a word of Korean until he was a teenager.

1. Levente Szileszky
      Thumb Up

See above - try Hungarian, a distant relative of Finnish, you'll see something truly 'hideously' complex... ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like