back to article PEAK SAMSUNG? Shares slide ahead of BEELLLIONS in profit

Shares in Samsung Electronics continued to slide today after the chaebol's latest estimated earnings failed to impress investors on Friday. Although Sammy's flagship subsidiary - which makes tellies, chips, phones and more - is once again expecting record-breaking quarterly results, its projected £5.4bn ($8bn) operating profit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. A J Stiles
    Holmes

Another press release from DOBO

..... the Department Of the Bleeding Obvious.

Everybody who wants a smartphone has already got a smartphone. Now people are only buying new ones as replacements for existing ones; and there are only a minority of people who think "it's not the absolute newest model anymore" is grounds for replacement.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And this is why the world is in the shit....

More, more more....give us more money...consume, consume, consume...more, more, more

Never mind the, actually I'm OK thanks. Well done so far.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And this is why the world is in the shit....

UNLIMITED GROWTH FOR EVER!!!!! YAY!!!!!

3. Don Jefe

Stock Market

I despise the stock market even more than venture capitalists. They aren't interested in investment, they want short term gain and that's it. A system that was originally supposed to foster innovation has been so gamed it now stifles innovation because innovation requires risk and everyone is afraid of risk.

Going through two successful IPO's and huge venture investments I always said I'd never go public or deal with VC's when I was on my own. Ten years on I still haven't, have a happy staff, solid future and am in good financial shape. Screw all those greedy bastards who have no problem destroying entire cultures, no ethics and no respect for the worker. Screw them right in their faces with a big greasy moose dick.

1. Ragarath

Re: Stock Market

Agree with you here, all the VCs I have pitched to are not interested in the idea or what it can turn in to. All they want is the $/£/whatever as quick as possible with absolutely no risk.

2. Robert Ramsay
      Thumb Up

I would give you two upvotes if I could. One for the body of the post and a second for "big greasy moose dick".

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They're actually looking at automating the whole thing, getting rid of traders and having computerised trading systems. Such systems are in use already but you can see where it's heading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmic_trading

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Silver lining though...most traders are self appointed 'Masters Of the Universe' type wankers, would be hilarious to see them queuing outside the dole office for their JSA.

4. hplasm
      Thumb Up

Screw them right in their faces with a big greasy moose dick.

Sideways?

5. Smallbrainfield
      Thumb Up

'big greasy moose dick.'

I doff my cap to you, sir.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Firstly, stock markets are run by mathematicians, computer bods and their software, everything is now pretty much automated.

If something like this happens it is probably down to a software error, rather than a trader, who incidentally don't exist in the form they used to.

Secondly, other than public servants who get a pension through the Government, private pensions are at the mercy of those computer programs. As you appear to say you are an employer, do your employees have a pension plan with you? If they do I wonder who runs them, or do you stick the money in the bank and hope you make enough with the interest rates?

Thirdly, maybe your business isn't viable enough to go public?

1. Oninoshiko
        Trollface

"Thirdly, maybe your business isn't viable enough to go public?"

Yes, but by the time it is, there won't be any point in it.

Honestly, I never understood how VC make anything. They only want to toss money in when you don't need it.

2. Don Jefe

Viability to go public? That's a strange way to think, wholly focused on the money. I prefer to maintain control of my company, the projects we taken on and ensure my employees are taken care of instead of being foisted overboard everytime there's an operational issue. I could probably make more money than I could ever spend if I sold the company (which is what an IPO is) but then what would I do? I have a neat job where I get to make real things and I would just end up doing it again; why do it twice?

1. Darryl

Don't suppose you're hiring in Canada by any chance, are you?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Just let me know where to send my CV!

Anon coz my boss is watching ... EVERYONE

7. Steen Eugen Poulsen
      Mushroom

Am I the only one concerned by this users moose anatomy expertise?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All of the words spoken so far

Were also spoken about Apple when it reported less profit than those so called Analyists expected.

The anti Apple brigade were predicting things like 'they will file for Chap 11 next month' and other doom laden statements.

some people stuck their head above the parapet and predicted a similar fate for other key players in the smartphone space. They were soundly down voted into oblivion.

As all investment advice says,

'The value of your investment may fall or rise...'

I fully expect the same for this post.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All of the words spoken so far

I am sorry you were hurt when all the nasty people said nasty things about Apple and then downvoted all your very clever responses.

No one deserves such cruelty and there's no shame in crying about it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I was not 'hurt' as you put it when people said nasty things about Apple.

I was sad that people forget that there are always two sides to every story. I was appealing for a little balance

I is important to realise that what happened to Apple is also happening to Samsung/HTC etc.

analyists predict $N profit, company comes in at $N - a little bit

The doom sayers predict that company will soon cease to exist because they hate the company.

A while later the same happens to their fav company.

Karma!

1. Mark .

I don't remember anyone claiming Apple were about to go bust. I *do* remember vast amounts of hype, from people and most the media about how wonderful Apple were and how rich and big they were, when the share price went up. Given how such importance was apparently placed to share price, it was only fair to poke fun when it collapsed.

If people are now back-pedalling and saying share price doesn't matter after all, great, that's what we were saying all along.

This isn't really news about Samsung - I don't recall vast amounts of hype trying to portray them as the largest company ever when their share price was up. And I don't have a favourite company - what is this, football teams?

5. I think so I am?

Dell

Wonder why Mr Dell wants his company back ?

6. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Down 20 % since May

Isn't that par for the course for many stock exchanges that initially got inflated by the money printing in Japan earlier in the year. And now everyone is getting the jitters because it looks like the Federal Reserve might start reducing the amount of money it prints. We've also had the "Sharibor" problem and indications that Chinese growth is going to slow.

All in all most stock market movements this year have extremely little to do with expected profits and lots to do with the "will they? won't they?" of loose monetary policy. But, hey, we won't let that stop us from writing clickbait.

7. Thomas Whipp

go read some contrarian investing theory

nothing to see here - high P/E stock misses unrealistic projections, cue signficant drop in share price. Buying "leading name" tech firms is pretty much guarenteed to end this way as they are all priced on stupid long term compound growth rates.

This is purely market valuations pulling back to something sensible from previous over inflated expectations. Its one of the reasons I wont invest in IT tech based funds, when I looked about a year ago many of them had about 30% of their holdings in Apple as they were based on market capitalisation based indexes.

The tech industry as a whole generates massive benefits for mankind - but the individual stocks within it always seem to be very bubble prone.

8. Michael 28

Overpriced cr*p?

"and the company is encountering more competition at the low end of mobes from Chinese firms like Huawei and ZTE."

Wouldn't say they're the low end, more like the middle , at the moment.

Huawei and ZTE are the better known mobes.... bought a THL W8 beyond a couple of weeks ago, delivered this weekend, and the specs are pretty good .

Model THL W8 Beyond

Screen Size 5.0 Inch FHD Capacitive Touch Screen

Resolution 1920*1080

OS Android 4.2

CPU MTK6589T Quad Core

CPU Speed Max 1.5GHz

Screen Capacitive Touch Screen,Multi Touch Support

RAM 1GB RAM

Memory 16GB ROM

Extended Memory microSD memory card (T-Flash card),32GB maximum

FM Radio Yes, Coreless FM stereo, Support background play

GPS Yes, built in

Bluetooth Yes

Wi-fi IEEE 802.11 b/g

Camera: Dual Camera 1 Front camera:5.0MP

1*Back camera:13.0MP with flashlight and auto focus

G-Sensor Support

Light Sensor Support

Mobile phone system WCDMA/GSM

Support Band 2G:GSM:850/900/1800/1900MHz

3G:WCDMA:850/2100MHz

AC Adapter Voltage range/frequency: 100 ~ 240V AC, 50/60 Hz

DC output: 5V and 500mA

Battery 2000mAh

Language Support Multi Language: English, Chinese Simple, Chinese Traditional, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, German, Malaysia ,Indonesia, Viet, Turkish, Russian, Arabic, Thailand ,etc.

Support Format

(Some Formats may need install third party software support) Audio: Support:MIDI /MP3/AAC ,etc.

Video:Support:3GP/MP4,etc.

Picture:Support:JPEG,etc.

E-Book:Support:TXT,etc.

Message SMS / MMS /Gmail

Other Functions Music,Search,Email,Gmail,Calculator,Calendar,Clock,Alarm clock,etc.

Dimensions (LxWxT) 130*65.5*12.1mm

Weight 0.8KG

Price was under £200... I'm a happy camper :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Overpriced cr*p?

Good luck when it breaks....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like