back to article Oracle puts database, middleware, Linux on Microsoft Hyper-V, Azure

If you were expecting some dramatic, cloudy news from Oracle and Microsoft, as the companies hinted last week they would reveal, you were likely disappointed by the nuts and bolts nature of what the two companies announced on Monday as part of an extended strategic partnership. No, Oracle is not shutting down its public cloud …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EPIC MICROSOFT ORACLE FAIL!!!

... Is the way you can read this once Eadon gets online.

OR, you can objectively look at it:

Is this announcement tied to the fact that Oracle had a crap qtr? You could try and draw that conclusion, but at the same time this will not have been thought up overnight with Larry giving Steve a quick call and then announcing it to the world, it would have been in discussions for months maybe even a year+, also they would have had to go through a testing process etc etc.

Oracle has always tried to keep Microsoft in the 'your not an enterprise player' bucket, yet all of a sudden MS seems to make sense to them, why is this?... is this because Hyper-V is now a real contender to VMware and starting to take share? Is it because Azure is starting to gain traction?

Whatever the reason, this can only be good for Microsoft, because all of a sudden Oracle is now saying that Microsoft is someone you can run your enterprise workloads with after years of saying Windows is a non-enterprise platform. Which sort of reminds me of the famous news clip from the Iraq war where 'chemical Ali' is being interview saying 'the invaders are nowhere near us and we are driving them out', as you can see a tank and several bombs going off behind him!!.

In the enterprise space this turn around is as big as the Microsoft Xbone backtrack!

1. Nate Amsden

Re: EPIC MICROSOFT ORACLE FAIL!!!

I don't really agree here, I suppose enterprise is in the eye of the beholder, but there is not much stopping anyone from running something that may in some forms be "enterprise" in a non enterprise way. Assuming of course Oracle deemed MS platforms not enterprise (one Oracle DBA I worked with used to support Oracle on NT on top of Alpha how obscure is that?), people have been able to run in such a configuration (supported by Oracle even as the article says) for many many years.

I think the partnership makes sense, it requires almost no effort on either party's side and they both get some benefit. I'd wager most Oracle customers have oracle only as a subset of their stuff, so it makes a lot of sense to be able to run it in a more agnostic way rather than dedicate everything they have to the Oracle cloud.

It would make more sense if they figured out some way to divvy up the licensing so you could share licenses between cloud and local (e.g. % of CPU capacity). But I'm not gonna hold my breath for oracle to do something like that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ohh, they'll let you divvy up the licensing alright … if you have two licenses, they'll let you use 50% of them on the cloud and the other 50% on the local server.

2. Getriebe

Is Lar Ellison going EoL???

Agreeing with Mr Amsden again. I can't see, yet, a big Oracle house moving its whole ERP system over to Azure as they will have too much invested also the wierd Oracle licensing will probabaly trip this up.

But I reckon we will bring some people who chose Oracle as their db up into the cloud.

2. Captain DaFt

Of course, History has shown that if you shake hands with Microsoft, don't bother counting your fingers or checking your watch to see if they're still there, check your sleeve to see if you still have an arm!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Captain DaFt - Yes, whereas Oracle a lovely bunnies to do business with and all sweetness and light.

2. TheVogon
        Mushroom

History has shown that if you shake hands with Oracle, you get expensive boat anchors tied to them!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think Eadon got his account deleted for accusing The Reg's journos of corruption and MS bias, one to many times. Certainly any topics I've looked at that Eadon had posted on have "Removed by moderator" peppered through them.

Still, this is great news (MS/Oracle, that is) I work in backup and my boss describes Hyper-V as "coming through like a freight train". We saw no demand for H-V backups or environmental analysis a couple of years ago and now it's at 30% market share. VMware seem to be worried as I've seen a few "Hyper-V is rubbish, because..." documents.

Interesting times. I even made on of my Proliant microservers Hyper-V and the other VMware, they both seem pretty level pegged.

4. TheVogon

Finally Oracle has acknowledged that their virtualisation platform is a failure, and that Azure is the likely future market leader for enterprise cloud....

2. Bill Bickle
    Alert

Okay, okay - let's get real here !

What I see, skeptically, is two, aging giants, who were forced to play nice together, as they are getting their lunches eaten from nearly every direction they play in.

Both running from the onslaught of SaaS offerings that are outfoxing them, and from open source based solutions in operating systems, database, middleware, and the new data and big-data wave. The open source stuff is eating them in multiple directions, both on-premise and in cloud computing.

And in Microsoft's case, hurting from the explosion in mobile devices and pad computing, with a bit role so far, and one that encroaches on their core Windows client and Office cash-cows.

I am trying to figure out who was more desperate to get a deal like this done, and best I can tell it was "equal mutual desperation", almost a 50/50 split. Though I doubt it will help either one of them over the long haul a whole bunch.

It actually reminds me a lot of the Sun and Microsoft 10 year partnership announced awhile back with Ballmer and McNealy trading hockey jerseys. That one did not even dent an upside for Sun, and I doubt this one will do anything for Oracle here.

But it is kinda fun to see two old guard guys - Hurd and Ballmer up there yabbing about how great this is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Okay, okay - let's get real here !

Did you miss the bit where the article said that MS now have 30% of the virtualisation market? That's 30% from totally irrelevant a couple of years ago. That doesn't sound like a dinosaur in its death throws. Then again, the main competition is EMC, who are hardly in the not a massive incumbent player league.

1. TheVogon
        Mushroom

And Microsoft's revenue was up for both Office and Windows (And server and cloud!) - both in the last quarter - and the last year..

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Oracle are just looking after their interests. They have significant numbers of customers using MS Server platforms, it is natural for them to update this support to the modern MS server/server hosting platforms.

Remember one of the reasons why Oracle got directly into Linux/Unix and hardware was that every time they made a sale so did an OS vendor and a hardware vendor.

3. Getriebe
      Windows

Sorry mate that is not how I see the landscape at all. OK I work in the enterprise all day every day, and so do not get involved with my fellow commuter's fondle slabs as I progress out of London, but our world is massive and Microsoft and expanding, so I am never certain where diatribes like yours (and he who shall not be mentioned ) come from.

Me and my team have been involved in Azure almost from its inception and from my standpoint MSFT are doing what they said all those years ago and doing it close to their stated at the time timeline. Even the containers of computers is what we saw planned years ago. I would suspect Larry and Billy have been talking about this for a while and the teams of lawyers will have worked out who owns what and who gets material benefit are pretty well settled and not done in some desperate rush

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't call Stevie "Billy", he doesn't like that you know.

3. teknopaul

effective immediatly

= lots of our customers do it already, it works, and we are missing out on support contracts.

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Jumping in at the Deep End

Oracle, of course, would rather that customers deploy virtualized instances of its database and middleware software atop its own Oracle VM implementation of the open source Xen hypervisor. And, truth be told, it would rather they run the Oracle systems software atop Oracle Linux, its own variant of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Of course they would …… for an Absolute Control Lever on Future Powers.

ARG MetaPhoria makes Great IntelAIgent Games Use of IT and its Core Networks/Virgin Source Providers ……… from AIMother Lode with NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive Nodes/Centres of Virtual Creation.

And is something your governments fear revealing to you for they have no controls over or in IT Special Operations Services for Live Operational Virtual Environments/Programmable Realities Practically True and Fabulously Imaginative.?!

It is strange that you don't hear if it from them, your elected representatives. What else are they being fed to seed for global consumption/force feeding?

If its IT aint Heavenly, it is History which Memory Locks away in Sweet Sticky Quarantine

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like