back to article Tech patents latest: Google, Cisco search pockets to sling $490m at TiVo

Googorola and Cisco have settled their upcoming patent infringement trial with TiVo out of court, agreeing to pay the telly box firm $490m upfront. The patented technology in question covers the playing back of digital video that was recorded live, pausing said footage in the right place, and similar work; TiVo, a maker of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The_Regulator

Go TiVo it's ya birthday, go TiVo lol. Well that should prop them up for the foreseeable future then :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems that Google's strategy re Motorola's patents didn't work out well

They bought Motorola because of their patent portfolio. Shot in the foot, I suppose.

3. gujiguju

invention

Gotta say, Tivo inventing DVRs has to be one of the most under-rated innovations of all-time. How many hours of our lives have we saved with that machine...??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: invention

The idea of a DVR was obvious. I was using a VCR in the late 80s/early 90s and wishing there was a way to record programs to hard drives so they'd have random access. I'm sure there were a million others who thought the same thing.

What Tivo invented were some of the little touches that are obvious only in hindsight, like how when you're fast forwarding quickly through commercials and hit 'play' to resuming watching after you see a bit of your program, it automatically backs up by an amount determined by how fast your were fast forwarding, so you don't need to back up every time like you did with VCRs.

Of course, the patent system being what it is, they probably do/did have a patent that covered every instance of recording broadcast video onto a hard drive.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Thumb Down

Re: invention

"like how when you're fast forwarding quickly through commercials and hit 'play' to resuming watching after you see a bit of your program, it automatically backs up by an amount determined by how fast your were fast forwarding"

...and it's fucking annoying when you've got decent reactions and really, REALLY don't want some dumb box of trick to ALWAYS make the assumption that you are wrong and it is right. Maybe I could patent the option to switch that function off.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Patents for what again?

I've read about this for over a year and I still don't understand what TiVO patented. Was it being a DVR in a set top box? Was it being software that records video? Everything I seem to think of that is in a TiVO unit had already existed prior to TiVO. Is there a TiVO standards body somewhere or something similar to M.P.E.G.?

5. gerryg
    Megaphone

Strange world of intellectual property

Wasn't Tivo the catalyst of GNU GPL V3, as they found a way of circumventing V2?

http://www.linfo.org/tivoization.html

yeah, yeah, letter and spirit of the law and all that, but all this "infringement of my rights" stuff can get a bit cloying

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Strange world of intellectual property

Yep! They were the bastards who managed for the first time to work around GPL v2 and this has been named "tivoization" in their honor. Now it's pretty much standard in Android devices but we can't give it a new name.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like