back to article Tolkien first edition goes for a bundle

An anonymous bidder has paid £60,000 for a first edition of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit at auction, the Times reports. The book, which went under the hammer at Bonhams in London, was expected to fetch only half that amount. The copy was dedicated to Elaine Griffiths, a friend of the author, who was partly responsible for its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jamie
    Linux

Geeks rule

Com'on all the big money is with the geeks, and they are more likely to spend on things like collectibles that have a special meaning to them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

eh?

oh crap, I thought it was a real hobbit. I wanted it for my BFF.

3. DZ-Jay

Benito del Toro??

>> "A big screen adaptation of The Hobbit is due in 2010, with Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro at the helm."

I thought it was going to be headed by Peter Jackson. Well that changes my enthusiasm for it. sheeesh.

-dZ.

4. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Benito del Toro??

Racist.

(Jackson is producing, I understand.)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

¡Viva del Toro!

Seriously, there's a man knows how to put together a good film. But he also did Blade II. Is it too late to ask him to film the Hobbit in Spanish...?

6. RKP
    Thumb Up

DZ-Jay Not Racist

I agree with DZ - It's more a case of Jackson doing such a fine job with the LoTR films that the same (if not better) will be expected of the Hobbit. Although I must admit that I've not yet seen any of del Toro's films - he may be good enough for this particular project....

7. Daniel B.
    Thumb Up

Benicio del Toro

"Although I must admit that I've not yet seen any of del Toro's films"

Hellboy might be a good start, if only because its a Hollywood flick, which would kind of be on par with this one.

Hm... and maybe you'll see him as "El Padre" in the upcoming MACHETE film. Now that's one movie I'm actually expecting to watch!

8. Matt
    Thumb Up

BdT

Better to watch Pans Labyrinth as its a fabulously non-hollywood movie in the fantasy genre.

9. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: BdT

Watch The Orphanage also. GdT produced, out this weekend. Think I enjoyed it even more than Pan's, in fact.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

while we're plugging movies...

wink wink

This topic is closed for new posts.