back to article Oz chap blows his own Google Glass

A 20 year old Australian tech support chap named Nathan Myers has built his own version of Google Glass. Dubbed “FLASS”, a contraction of “fake Google Glass”, the device uses a screen pinched from a MyVu Crystal 701, a short-lived late noughties gadget that tried to convince the world to watch video in a pair of glasses whose …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You'd never want to store a book on it.

Its not for nothing theres thst old adage: People in Flass houses shouldnt stow tomes

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You'd never want to

Until someone comes up with a way to implant this technology into my eyeball and develop mind control technology to work it I will never ever be seen in a pair of geeky glasses talking to myself while risking the distraction of walking into a lamp post.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

People already walk into lamp posts... and fall off bridges... All because they are so glued to their phones.

1. 142
          Black Helicopters

...ah but you see, Glass must have a collision avoidance / human-direction-control system! This is why they've been doing all this is playing about with robotic cars.

2. Green Nigel
        Happy

You have watched too much Futurama as you have just described Mom's Eye Phone!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You'd never want to store a book on it.

"...People in Flass houses shouldnt stow tomes..."

GOL!*

[*Groan out loud]

2. hplasm
    Thumb Up

The bag it is open;

The cat is no longer inside.

(All this needs is a 3D printer angle~ all else is 'open, freedom, etc'.)

Still, good work!

1. Arachnoid
      Thumb Down

Do they come with a remote?

Can you imagine travelling on public transport with several people talking to such devices all at once.....

1. Mage Silver badge
        Coat

Re: Do they come with a remote?

In the big open plan office ...

Replace

"Jimmy! How do you format your disk?"

--"Format C:" he shouts

"Are you sure?"

-- "YES!"

With "How do I do a factory Reset?"

Unless you are on your own (or some sort of disability) voice control is nearly as bad as the "Heart of Gold" gesture controls.

2. fandom

Re: Do they come with a remote?

I don't need to imagine it, I can already see people talking to bluetooth headsets.

I can't be that different

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The over complication of a simple action.

All this faffing around and shouting at your phone to read an email or check on Facebook. It is just making simple gestures more complicated than necessary.

Just pick up and look at your phone.

1. Crisp

Re: The over complication of a simple action.

Why add a whole layer of phone complexity to it all when you can just shout to the monkey in the next tree?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

He's taken a wearable display and turned it into a wearable display?

Christ, I built better wearables in 2008- stereoscopic 3D overlay and all (eMagin z800, a couple of cameras, a spare Laptop and a stack of VB.Net... Admittedly bulky and underpowered by modern standards). And they were still crap. Speech rec doesnt work properly in the real world, and until your glasses also include a camera and world-recognition software this sort of thing will always suck outside of very specific usage scenarios.

Theres another generation to go before they become powerful enough.

5. AMB-York Silver badge
    FAIL

But...

What about the intrusive adverts and data tracking? He's only half way there.

1. The Indomitable Gall

Re: But...

Well, he didsay that he would say "Open Facebook". And he's there.

6. John Robson Silver badge
    Coat

Is it just me...

“If I want to access my emails I hold down the button on my earpiece and it will announce 'I'm listening', to which I reply with 'Open Facebook'"

Isn't "Open Facebook" an odd command to use to access email?

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Re: Is it just me...

Certainly is the wrong command. Should be "Open Faecebook".

Alternatively "Enable Shitter".

Which makes me think about customising commands so other people won't override what you want by imitating you. Maybe

"Phasers to Stun" = power on

"Lookit the norks on that!" = take photo

""Windows 8" = Shutdown

You get the idea. Any more offerings?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But... But... But...

Does it not index your email keywords, monitor your contacts and report the content to various government agencies? I mean, where is the full service that Google provides?

8. Paul 129
    Gimp

Why is this news?

Using off the shelf stuff to get a crappy experience,

To avoid lugging around heaps of adapters, charger's n stuff he'd need Zeiss Cinimizer's but $800? Ik!

Mind you With utter and tasker you can do a lot on your android phone :-) Its still quite rough though. You need your phone running and unlocked, and then to click on the utter command icon to activate the thing. You can install nova launcher to enable long press on menu to fire off utter. Much better experience, but you still have to unlock your phone first. You could use a NFC tag to fire off utter, but to enable it while the phone is locked would expose your phone to all NFC all the time (No thanks)

Just too awkward, and clunky with android at the moment. Will the ubuntu phone concept push the wearable computer over the line? It may be enough for me.... What this guy has done? No.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Needs more duct tape

1. Green Nigel
      Happy

Is'nt a Band Aid the traditional fastening for modding repairing specs?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“FLASS”, a contraction of “fake Google Glass”

Wouldn't it be a contraction of 'fake glass'? (f'lass)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like