back to article Facebook plans vast data center in Iowa

Facebook's fourth gigantic data center will be in Iowa, a state already favored by major infrastructure operators due to its renewable utility options. The new data center in Altoona, Iowa, will be the company's fourth dedicated bit barn, along with facilities in Prineville, Oregon; Forest City, North Carolina; and Luleå, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Des Moines Register

Vulture Midwest?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

can this be the start of a new cargo cult ..

I like the irony of bulding a datacenter - a grabbag of some of the most sophisticated tech on the planet - right in the middle of a bunch of rubes who believe a bearded old white guy runs the universe and that the earth is only 6000 years old ..

I can't get these images of hominids and monoliths out of my head ..

1. hayseed
      FAIL

Re: can this be the start of a new cargo cult ..

Wrong culture - it is not Arkansas, in the evangelical Bible belt. See Iowa Wikipedia - biggest religious groups Lutherans and Catholics, low populations of Hispanics and other minorities. Manufacturing 21% of GDP, 6.6% unemployment, state credit rating AAA. In other words, think of a really big suburb.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@hayseed. True they aren't trailer-park rednecks but Iowa is still bible country. God and Guns will still get you more respect than faithless science ..

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. hayseed

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/2004/11/State-By-State-Percentage-Of-White-Evangelicals-Catholics-And-Black-Protestants.aspx

Similar profile to Colorado and Michigan - 25% Evangelical, 23% Catholic - and with a high Lutheran population in the bulk, from Northern European populations not noted for being demonstrative on religion.

Night and day compared to the *real* Bible-belt state in which I live.

1. hayseed

Another cultural difference for-instance (Gays):

> A poll conducted in October, 2012, found that 49 percent of Iowa voters were in favor of gay marriage, up

> from 41 percent just a year earlier.

Here in Virginia, we have an attorney general who thinks he can score political capital defending an anti-sodomy law.

A big difference between the Midwest "Can't we get along" culture and the Southern "My Bible sez"

[ from someone who is familiar with both]

3. Jim O'Reilly

Why chillers...It's Iowa

There must be something wrong with FaceBook's OpenServer architecture if it still needs chilled air.

4. mIRCat
    Pint

I can't help but wonder...

Once everyone has moved on to The Next Big Thing™, what will all that compute space be used for..

1. Winkypop Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: I can't help but wonder...

The same use as when it's new: a huge repository of cat pictures and idiotic LOL and Bitch comments.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like