back to article HGST unveils 12Gbit/s SAS SSDs for bankers, gamers and cloud-pushers

Western Digital subsidiary HGST has slapped 12Gbit/s SAS interfaces on three solid-state drives - which it claims is a storage industry first - and they fly, with one model boasting prolonged endurance as well. The SSD800 and SSD1000 drives store up to 800GB and 1TB respectively, using enterprise grade 2-bit multi-level cell …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Sanders
    Devil

And this will cost...

And arm, and a leg, and the other leg and the other arm.

1. bag o' spanners

Re: And this will cost...

I'm giftwrapping my firstborn

2. Dazed and Confused

> And arm, and a leg, and the other leg and the other arm.

Guess that's what you're measuring as the price. $/GB I'm sure they're scary, $/IOPs they might be quite cheap.

Does the bigger advance in random write IOPs suggest these are heavily cache skewed figures?

Do they give any idea of the native IO transaction rate, just in case your IO pattern doesn't match theirs? Especially for usage cases with little reuse and data set sizes over the cache size?

1. ToddR

Indeed. The problem with ALL flsah drives is teh sustained write performance falls off a cliff, once you exhaust the write cache on the drive. Because of this flash has very jittery performance too, do hardly ideal or high frequency trading..

2. Sparx
    Paris Hilton

Ill take 22 said the SAN manager to accounts department.

Who promptly laughed

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1) There is a lot of room in that case. They could be making 3 or 4TB models.

2) Do we need 12Gb interfaces? The fact is, it is time to move away from them and go towards PCIe. Under PCIe v3, a single lane is 2/3 of that 12Gb SAS connection. PCIe will always be faster. The days of SATA and SAS are numbered and it is time to move on.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like