back to article ICANN under fire as Verisign warns of rushed domain-name expansion

ICANN's big generic top-level domain (gTLD) rollout, planned for April 23, needs to be delayed because the system isn't ready, Verisign and others are warning – and ICANN itself has told The Register that the first gTLD domains won't come online until at least August. "April is a launch date in the sense that it's a public …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Craig 2

It's basically a licence to print money

and only governments can be trusted with that kind of responsibilty!

1. Fractured Cell

Re: It's basically a licence to print money

Not even governments can be trusted with that kind of responsibilty!

Fixed that for you

1. Craig 2

Bazinga!

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

One could also argue it's a way of destroying the value of domains names for speculators by flooding the market with bazillions of TLDs they can't afford to cover.

Could... if the issue of most of these new ones weren't fairly tightly controlled.

2. Turgut Kalfaoglu

Corporate greed at its best

Here goes the corporate greed again; changing something that works well with something that will make them more money.

3. Pen-y-gors

What is particularly galling...

is that the whole chaotic, money-printing circus of setting up thousands of new (and rather pointless) gTLDs is delaying the introduction of a few new and genuinely reasonable geographical TLDs (e.g. cymru/wales/scot/catalonia/vlaanderen) - which could have been live months ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What is particularly galling...

Longer than 4 letters is too long, and .scot may soon be a moot point.

1. Rukario

Re: What is particularly galling...

But wouldn't just .sco invite the unwanted attention of some angry lawyers?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can someone enlighten me

Why do we need "maximum of 1000 new gtlds a year", has the public asked for them? Are we running out of name space in the current gtlds? How would this help the internet?

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Re: Can someone enlighten me

We don't need them. It's the Windows 'dump everything in My Documents, subdiretories, what are they?' culture that has infected everything like a plague.

1. Mike007 Bronze badge

Except in this case the files directly in the my documents folder are mostly inaccessible and you can only use subdirectories, but companies still want to put their files there...

1. Anonymous Coward 15

Even worse are the people who put bits of it in C:\.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
            Devil

I keep all my files on the desktop in a big jumbly pile. That way I have instant access to any file I can find.

What are these folder things of which you speak?

2. VinceH

It will help put more money in their bank account to pay their salaries, which probably soon go up.

Oh, I'm sorry, my mistake. You asked how it would help the internet, not how it would help ICANN.

5. Graham Marsden
    Pirate

Nice Brand you have there, Squire...

... Be a shame if anything happened to it, know what I mean?

Now all you need to do is sign up to our Protection Package and register twenty domain suffixes just to make sure that it stays pristine...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Nice Brand you have there, Squire...

At least the .xxx domain wasn't too bad. Sure you had to pay them cashola so as not to tarnish your brand, but they let you do a one-off payment. so that yourdomain.xxx could never again be registered. It wasn't that much more than a registration fee, and means no further work required.

At least until they change the system in 10 years time to get some more cash out of you...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like