back to article Apple denied trademark protection for 'iPad mini'

The US Patent and Trademark Office has denied Apple's request to trademark the term "iPad mini" – but there's good reason to assume that Cupertino will overturn the decision on appeal. The central reason for the denial is rather straightforward: that "mini" is merely identifies the original iPad's little brother as being, well …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Assuming, of course...

...that with their declining stock price, Apple is still around as a company when the appeal goes through...

1. Azzy

Re: Assuming, of course...

Sure it'll still be a company...

But it be not be as large... it might be... "Apple mini"

2. His Shadow

Re: Assuming, of course...

Good job, bozo.

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

but why?

Having got ipad stitched up good and proper as their trademark, under what conditions could anyone else use the phrase "iPad mini" without infringing?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: but why?

I was thinking that the filing was pointless anyway. It'd be as useless as making a filing for every variation they make such as having a different patent for "iPad 3, 32 GB, WiFi" and another for "iPad 3, 32 GB, 3G AT&T edition"

I suspect that this is more marketing than 'brand protection'

I would have assumed someone would have already pointed this out since this is wasting money and companies hate spending money, hell most companies are so serious about that that if they could, they'd go to strip clubs and throw naked women at money.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
        Trollface

Re: but why?

But if that was the case crApple would also have to register/patent/trademark/copyright "Overpriced iPad" etc.

3. Daniel B.

hahaha

APRIL FOOL'S!

1. Spikehead
      FAIL

Re: hahaha

Considering this was posted on the BBC website on the 31st of march, and there are US articles before the BBC one, not an April fool.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: hahaha

April fool's what?

4. mIRCat
    Pint

I don't suppose we'll be seeing any actual new today? Did we give the rest of our Reg hacks the holiday off?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Easter Monday is a public holiday in Britland, so I'd doubt it.

1. Daniel B.

ooh that's why

Meanwhile, here in Mexico, Holy Thursday and Holy Friday are the days marked as holidays. Some places even give the whole week off. Wee call 'em the "Holy Week Vacation" period.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

more mini

Should have bought some cadburys mini-rolls for desert.

6. Captain DaFt

Morbid curiousity

When "our Reg reporter makes his jaunt, he won't be wearing a mini skirt, will he?

1. Gannon (J.) Dick

Re: Morbid curiousity

Hope not. Gams like a Mini-otour, I expect.

1. Gannon (J.) Dick

Re: Morbid curiousity

Yikes.

Do over ... face like a Mini-otaur.

7. MrZoolook
    Meh

Considering its the USPTO turning down an Apple patent...

... it didn't even need to April 1st to be obviously untrue.

8. JaitcH
    Meh

How many patents with iPad need.

There must be a mistake, something sensible coming out of the USPO for once.

No one else, in the USA at least, can use iPad - who knows about Brazil though.

9. Simon Harris
    Coat

Allegedly...

... Everything Everywhere were granted their trademark as the judge said the phrase could in no way be considered descriptive of any aspect of their product.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

iMíni ..

iMíni .. with an assent over the second i

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like