back to article Cash-strapped AMD drills for green gold in Lone Star State

Processor bakery AMD will sell off and lease back its offices in Austin, Texas, to raise $164m in much-needed cash. The chipmaker will sign a 12-year lease on the "Lone Star Campus", with an optional extension clause if the firm decides to stay on at the location. It's not the first time that AMD has shifted some real estate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alex Walsh

You'd think supplying the APU for the PS4 and the next Xbox would be a bit of a cash generator wouldn't you?

1. HamsterNet

Soon..Soon

I can imagine they will once they start shipping them... Speaking of which I'm just awaiting the new Richland APU from them now, one that can partner with any 7 series graphics.

2. Erik4872
    WTF?

Lots of companies doing this

I think this is the latest MBA/accounting fad from the last 20 years or so. Not sure why, but apparently it's bad to have assets like real estate on your books. Why that is is beyond me - don't they get to knock a huge amount off their profit number for the taxes and maintenance of property they own?

But I guess that's why I'm not an MBA or accountant.

It's not just limited to companies either - here in the US, state governments are doing the same thing, selling and leasing back facilities, roads, bridges, etc.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. the spectacularly refined chap

Re: Lots of companies doing this

It's precisely that - an accounting wheeze. One of the main metrics you'll see in any company report is the return on assets - not how much money you make, but how much money you make as a proportion of how much money is tied up inside the company in real estate, plant, reserves etc. The argument is that a company making £2m on £10m of assets is "better" than one making £3m on £20m. In purely percentage terms it makes sense at least in the short term but it isn't how great companies are built. If you can free up cash to spend profitably elsewhere perhaps, but more often than not it simply ends up going back to shareholders or blown on overpriced vanity acquisitions - witness the current kerfuffle over the proposed Dell buyout for example.

The problem is that inevitably makes the company smaller in absolute terms and it either loses markets (when divisions are sold off) or running costs (when assets are sold and outsourced). Neither is good for the long term prospects of the company. Greater leverage also means greater risk, higher borrowing costs and greater vulnerability to events such as the financial crash.

There's plenty of examples of good companies being run into the ground this way: personally ICI is always the one that comes to mind. A once great industrial behemoth got taken over by the beancounters who sold off division after division and plant after plant, arguing "those are low growth areas" all along the line. They apparently didn't notice the company had shrunk and shrunk until it was taken over by foreigners for beer money.

In short, if you have money involved in the widget business pull it out pronto when it is run by people proclaiming "this is how you run a business" instead of "this is how you make a better widget".

3. Tomas K.

This is a smart move

As noted this is the smart means to get a better return on your fixed assets. It provides tens of millions of dollars operating capital at below market rates and it has good tax advantages. It's all just a "paper deal".

AMD's recent wins for Xbox, PS4 and from many OE laptop builders will improve AMD's cash flow substantially in the not too distant future. Richland is actually shipping and OE systems with Richland should start to go on sale next month with more lower powered 17w Richland chips to start shipping next month to OEMs.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like