back to article Microsoft exec selling his Surface tablet

Just when you thought enthusiasm for Windows 8 and the Surface tablet could not possibly get any more tepid, a Microsoft New Zealand employee intends to sell one of the devices. Kiwi tech news site spotted Techday spotted a Tweet from Nigel Parker, leader of Microsoft New Zealand's Developer & Platform Group at Microsoft New …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm not a fan of the surface devices

But on the other hand, I don't see any story here. The guy is simply upgrading.

1. Christian Berger

Re: I'm not a fan of the surface devices

Well though it's a small step when looked at from outside, but a huge step when you are part of the Windows crowd. Seriously, Windows RT was made deliberately bad. It's the first "Windows NT" that cannot execute Win32 software.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Nope, this isn't "simply upgrading".

To do a comparison with another well-known portable computing supplier, he's doing the equivalent of getting rid of an iPad and buying a (tablet shaped) Macbook Pro. That's not an upgrade, it's a different class of device.

Windows RT isn't Windows 8. Superficially, they look very similar - but when it comes to what you can actually do with them, they are completely different.

To me this tweet really says "Microsoft exec confused by the difference between a Surface RT and a Surface Pro" as he's bought the wrong one.

That bodes.

3. LarsG
      Meh

Not upgrading, just realising how limited the RT is and deciding to off load it to some unsuspecting schmuck.

1. Simon Barker

Why do you believe RT is limited? You wouldn't use the same terminology to refer to iOS or Android so why does it become a disadvantage only when discussing Microsoft's product?

1. Daniel B.
          Boffin

@Simon Barker

Because it lacks both the actual apps you find for iOS/Android/Playbook while posing as a Windows device that can't actually do what "traditional" Windows devices can do. When we got Windows CE, nobody expected it to do much; but MS itself sold the idea of WinRT as basically Windows on ARM. And on those expectations, it's horribly limited.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah he's upgrading to an Android slate.

2. DAN*tastik
    Meh

I am not a Twitter expert at all, so I have a question about the "#fb" used in the post... Does it mean that every time people search for Facebook related tweets, the one above shows in the resulting list?

If so, what is the point? Otherwise, what does it exactly mean?

Thanks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

FFS

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+does+%23fb+mean+on+twitter

1. DAN*tastik
        Thumb Up

Re: FFS

Thanks for the link!

The clever things people can do with those two websites... Simply amazing ;)

3. Bob Vistakin

The buyer would be wise to check the serial number

Caveat emptor

1. Silverburn

Re: The buyer would be wise to check the serial number

As would the seller. There's a good chance this is "Corporate property" if he is an MS employee, and not actually his to giveaway.

1. Blarkon

Re: The buyer would be wise to check the serial number

Original post says his kids have one. Want to bet that's the "corp supplied" Surface RT and the one he's selling is one he purchased?

4. Dazed and Confused

Will the last one out

Please turn off the light

or should that read close the curtain?

5. Mylesw

The real news

Exec sells Surface isn't news. Exec finds buyer forSurface, that's news.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The real news

LOL

6. Fihart

Drowning Not Waving.

as above

7. BobChip
    Linux

How long.....?

OK, so he is upgrading and selling off surplus kit. Dont we all?

The interesting thing will be to see how long it takes to sell. And what it goes for. If the post is still there in a couple of weeks - or not - then we will have at least one indisputable fact about Win 8. That'll be a breakthrough.

8. JMiles
    Coat

He got one...

...then realised it is Windows only in name and can't run is usual apps...

...just like most other customers who've been snared by this clever marketing trick.

9. fishman

His kids have one?

He says his kids have one. Now, if my kids had something that they *really* liked, they would fight over it and be general nusances. That he is willing to sell his Surface RT makes me think his kids really don't care that much for their shared tablet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: His kids have one?

Or maybe he wants his kids to learn to share and not flood the house with expensive technology and bow to their every whim.

1. Richard Plinston

Re: His kids have one?

> and not flood the house with expensive technology

How could he be a Microsoft exec if he fails to implement the company mission statement.

10. Robert E A Harvey

The real story

Surely the real story is a Microsoft Exec so impoversished that he has to flog off his old gear to afford new stuff?

11. DrXym

Windows RT is an evolutionary dead end

Windows 8 Pro devices are starting to appear wrapped around Atom chips and they have a similar performance / battery characteristics as an ARM chip. They look like tablets but they are also capable of running a full Windows desktop and Windows x86 executables (albeit 32-only) such as games and other desktop apps. You could buy a Acer Iconia W510 with 64GB and keyboard dock (and extra battery) for the same price as a Surface 64GB and keyboard cover.

Basically Windows RT is a dead man walking. It's squeezed from below by more capable Android tablets and squeezed from about by it's fully developed sibling. While it might pick up some apps which run in Windows RT and Windows 8 due to WinRT API, it'll be the scraps from the table. I don't see it surviving even if Microsoft reappraise the price they're charging for the devices and drop it to saner levels.

12. Steve78

Who cares?

If he owns it, he's entitled to do what he wants. It's no one else's business but his.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who cares?

That was the case - up until the moment he told the WHOLE WORLD that he was selling it...

13. Mark Allread

Yet again

Another day another Window 8/RT hater story on The Register. Some agenda there lads.

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: oh good

a butthurt MS fan to join the apple and android conspiracy nuts.

The register hates Apple and Google as much as it hates MS. Did it occur to you that maybe it's not a conspiracy and Windows RT is just shit?

1. MIc

What exactly makes it shit? I hear a lot of negative stuff about it, but what does it not do that is should do? What is the bar for mediocre and what is missing from the surface RT to hit that bar?

So far a lot of smoke but no fire.

1. Martin Huizing
          Facepalm

I tried a brand new model in a show room and it refused to print some of the letters while typing. Oh that and the fact that it is shit. Remember Windows ME? Don't tell me you liked that over '98SE... But I see your point. Maybe we, the people, should give more constructive feedback on why we don't like tifkam.

14. Rampant Spaniel

How about we club together and buy it for Eadon :-)

15. ColonelClaw
    Mushroom

THINK OF THE CHILDREN

What kind of heartless bastard gives their kids a Windows RT machine?

Report this guy to the relevant authorities, I say.

16. Duncan 4
    Thumb Down

you poor sad soles who have to cling on to such a non story, truth is the surface is an awesome device while it might not be apple or android but fact is windows tablets do many thinks nothing from either apple or android currently do. try it with an open mind if you are capable of that before knocking it if not, better luck in finding a better story than this to hang your hat on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Will it correct your punctuation?

17. The_Regulator

Wow, Lame Story

Are we that desperate for news that this is the best you can come up with????

I smell some bs rhetoric here....nothing to see move along. Author you are freakin lame for even putting this drivel up.

18. nzigel

Since this story is about me I should let you know it ends

Here is the end of the story - http://aka.ms/soldsurface - Surface Rt sold for $704 on Trade Me (only $35 less than a new one!) all the money is going to charity (Cure Kids).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like