back to article France tries again, with EU20 billion broadband fund

French president Francois Hollande wants to take the cable-cutters to the country’s copper, announcing EU20 billion ($AU25 billion) worth of broadband funding to be spent over the next ten years. His aim is to bring universal fibre-based broadband to the country. The cash-strapped government won’t be providing all the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't wait to see that.

I live in a village surrounded by other smallish agglomerations in an area of about 10 square kilometers.

Every single village has fiber optic available, except ours .

Pourquoi?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't wait to see that.

The same here and fibre goes to the same manhole as the copper to the village - but do we get fibre, no.

2. ScissorHands
    Headmaster

Certainement pas!

"We must end the copper network and install fibre EVERYWHERE". That's what the lad said.

1. Richard Chirgwin (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Certainement pas!

Thanks, ScissorHands, I have amended the copy accordingly.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why the conversion to aussie dollars?

no text

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why the conversion to aussie dollars?

Ummm, because it is still more valuable than the US$ ????

4. HMB

Why the...?

Why the lack of an EU money sign: €

€20 Billion.

Not that tricky!

1. auburnman
      Happy

Re: Why the...?

I don't know...you have to remember to hold Ctrl AND Alt.... :)

1. Colin Millar
        Childcatcher

The German President agrees that English should be the official language for Europe so it seems fitting that the £ should also be the currency.

This would have various benefits

Time to standardise

1) The question of Greece leaving the € would be neatly sidestepped - Greece (and Spain) could keep the € all to themselves.

2) Millions of Frenchmen would spontaneously combust

3) Lots of confused tories and Ukippers going "Er??? WTF just happened???"

4) Brits could finally travel to Europe safe in the knowledge that no concessions to foreignness would be required of them

2. Z80

Or just Alt Gr

3. samlebon23

To get the Euro sign, you have to hold the CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+All F keys and you drop the keyboard . And good luck.

5. GrahamT

Unbundling/Degroupage

I hope this applies to unbundled providers too, not just France Telecom/Orange. "partout" means everywhere, but that is not the same as "to everyone".

What will it cost the subscribers? The €15/month I pay now is just about acceptable for the 2.5Mbit/s I get (5km from exchange), but it wouldn't be worth me paying a huge amount more just for faster browsing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Unbundling/Degroupage

For real giggles, Today, I contacted Orange and asked the following question

If a competitor installs fiber on a site which is eligible can this customer keep their Orange subscription ?

Answer, NON

Question POURQUOI ?

Answer, it is not compatible with the Orange Network.

So I checked it out with the competitor

In fact, the competitor is rolling out fiber as fast as they can but Orange subscribers can't use it directly.

Their local France Telecom/Orange infrastructure can't be connected to the new fiber.

Just shows how far we have to go.

6. samlebon23
    Alien

This is end of the Chalcolithic age.

7. cabidas

Any metrics on coverage areas? 80%? 85%? 90%?

Cheers

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like