back to article LogMeIn uncloaks cloud storage bypass

By now you know the prosumer cloud storage schtick: an agent on your device monitors a designated folder and copies everything in it to the cloud, from where any other device running the service's agent and logged in with the same account sucks down that file so it is available locally. The likes of DropBox, Google, Microsoft …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Clouds parting.

If there is enough services like this, a 'cloud' service will be greatly less utilized. I don't need a cloud, but I could use this. However, do you get any of their VPN services for $6.99?

BTW, if I remember right, this was possible with a website named "iDrive" back in ~1999. Nobody back then really needed it, it was just an option so you could move your ~/napster/downloads/*.mp3's to all computers via web browser (at least that is what I used it for). Now it appears to be a welcomed service, soon to be common place.

1. jockmcthingiemibobb

Re: Clouds parting.

Meh. AeroFS does peer to peer for free.

What I really want is a peer to peer backup system with encryption, versioning and incremental backups. Sorta like Crashplan but with NAT traversal that actually works properly.

1. thermionic

Re: Clouds parting.

got an invite for AeoFS ?

2. Chris007

Re: Clouds parting. @jockmcthingiemibobb

Hmmm.

Pretty sure that Logmein Backup does all that (I've had it behind a NAT router and it works, it's encrypted and I have incremental backups set)

2. resudaed
    Linux

A linux client ...

... and I'd be jumping ship. Unfortunately still stuck with only DropBox for the time being.

3. Irongut
    FAIL

Journo Fail

"only available to those who stump up the $US6.99 required for a paid account"

Is that 7 bucks for life? Or is it paid monthly, annually, whenever there's a blue moon? Telling us the price isn't much use without saying how often it needs to be paid.

4. Arachnoid
    Thumb Down

$6.99/month pre paid annully.........no Ill give it a miss thanks, when other cloud storage is free its a waste of money

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope they use the logmein.com domain

My internal dns servers are already authoritative for that domain.

6. Sporkinum

Chinese version

ChowMeIn

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Log Mein!

Mein, mein, mein!!!

8. PeterM42
    WTF?

No mention?

Of Logmein's Hamachi service.

This topic is closed for new posts.