back to article Pop's Chubby Checker condemns use of Palm to check pocket-chubby

Yesteryear popstar Chubby Checker is suing HP for selling todger tool The Chubby Checker from its webOS app store. Checker, who topped the charts in 1960 with The Twist, is taking the tech titan and its subsidiary Palm to task over the software, which claimed to predict a man's penis size from his shoe size. It was available …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mIRCat
    FAIL

Tort? We don't twist that way.

He might want to sue his lawyer as the lawsuit will likely do more damage to his reputation than any mobile application will.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Simple

Measure from top of wrist joint to the end of your fingers, no need for an app.

It's a well known fact small hands small...

1. The Nazz

Re: Simple

and then some, ;-)

2. Frankee Llonnygog

"It's a well known fact small hands"

... make small things look bigger. Maybe they should have named the app after Stubby Kaye

3. James Micallef Silver badge
        Coat

It's a well known fact small hands small...

...gloves?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chubby Checker is still alive?

That's the real story, right there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Chubby Checker is still alive?

HP have an app store still? That's the real story right there....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They do, and all three of us who still use Palm phones have access to it. Nothing gets updated any more, though. Nobody has even bothered to develop a game in which you keep dunking Leo Apotheker in a shark tank. But I have never seen this application.

In a sane country the damages might be assessed at around 90 downloads at 99c = $90 with a rounding error, but in the US it's like the lottery - juries hand out insane damages in the hope that one day they might be able to sue someone and become rich. It was tried over here, but thank Dawkins the ambulance chasers mostly went bust.

2. beep54
      Angel

Now I've got to go listen to the two 'twist' songs. Say, does anyone know just why it takes something like process explorer to actually kill Spotify when one is done?

3. John Tserkezis

The *real* reason he's suing.

He used the app, it predicted an inch and a half, and he came up short.

Trying to compensate by being in the music game only counts if you're hot, have a hot car, and most importantly, if you're still in the game.

Get over it chuckles, you're past your use-by date.

1. Ikoth
      Unhappy

Re: The *real* reason he's suing.

I suspect the royalty revenue must be drying up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No, it's drooping.

2. Dr Insanity

@ Ikoth - Either that or he'll be attempting to push a new album soon and wants to make sure people remember his name. Streisand effect used to self promote perhaps

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Curious minds need to know...

Available on Palm as well?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

Re: Curious minds need to know...

What, the rare "Hairy" palm?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So HP is a sexist organisation then?

If it's anti-man, it's OK?

Sexism cuts both ways.

6. Khaptain Silver badge
    Coat

Proceed with caution

Apparetly there is also a womens versions, it display a ruler on the screen and a flashing band which reads "please insert"........

The accuracy of the app depends on the phone's form factor...

1. beep54
      Trollface

Re: Proceed with caution

Uhm, no. I believe the accuracy is dependent on whether you are holding the phone 'correctly' or not.

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Sad

I remember when 'The Twist' came out. It was fun then, but rather twee by the standards of anything in the last 30 years.

Ah well, that's another fond memory destroyed - maybe I should sue the guy for irreparable emotional damage.

8. spiny norman

Twist

While doing some background research on Fiorina just after HP fired her, I found a photo of her at an HP corporate party doing The Twist with Chubby Checker.

9. JaitcH
    WTF?

Chubby Checker - a notable figure in pop history

Chubby Checker, still young at 71, is right.

How would HP like to having it's name associated with various sexual attributes? Maybe someone should run a competition!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear Mr. Checker,

1. Buy shares in the app company.

2. Start a website listing shoe sizes of all celebs.

3. Watch the money roll in from everyone who thinks they can find out what size To Cruise, Ahnuld, Stallone etc. have.

4. Invest 5$ in a similar app guesstimating lady celebs original boob sizes.

Sit back and get very rich.

Enjoy,

Pete

11. Noons
    Joke

New app version with new, improved name

A bug was found in the app that caused it to overestimate the pecker-to-foot ratio. The bug has now been circumcised (auch!) and the app given a new name, to indicate the more reliable prediction: it is now called the "Earnest Evans" app.

P.S.: app developer's comment: "Let me show you my Python..."

12. nigel 15
    Happy

$500m

seriously. irreparable damage to the tune of $500m. crazy.

great story though. as soon as i saw the headline on the bbc 'chubby checker to sue over app' a clear image formed in my mind.

13. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I recall that one pop star of the old days was more receently caught putting secret cameras in women's restrooms, but presumably it wasn't Chubby Checker - it isn't in Wikipedia anyway. Anyone know who I'm thinking of and whether they were guilty (that's really important)?

Also, isn't it rubbish about shoe size and the male member, this app was fraudulent in the first place.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like