back to article Forget wireless power for phones - Korea's doing it for buses

From July, two electric buses will travel back and forth along the 24km road from Gumi station, but they won't need to recharge as induction loops along the route will top up the battery as they roll. The technology is coming from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology and is little more than an extensive field …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Usually Right or Wrong
    Happy

Bring it on

With small induction loops, I am sure we could all charge our mobile phones and iThingies for free, well at least until we got run over by a tram.

1. James Micallef Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Yay

Scalectrix cars :)

1. ukgnome

@James Micallef

I was thinking more like dodgems

DOUBLE YAY!

2. tmTM

Can't Wait

I'll feel like I'm in death race or something, driving over things in the ground to get power-ups.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"scalextric" / "dodgems"

No, no, no.

It's not like either of those things, it's wireless.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

don't listen too hard to the engine

Tie Fighters!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: don't listen too hard to the engine

Exactly! With all that electricity drive a couple of speakers!

3. vagabondo
    Happy

Cooking on gas^H^H^H leccy?

If this works like an induction hob, passengers could heat up soup, or make a quick stir-fry or fried egg while waiting for the bus.

1. FartingHippo
      Mushroom

Re: Cooking on gas^H^H^H leccy?

I don't care how smart or swanky they make electric hobs, they'll have to prize my gas range from my cold, dead hands.

(c) Charlton Heston. Who is dead. And cold.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Reality check

The power will have to be paid for by someone. At first there might be incentives but ultimately the only fair way is for people to pay for their own usage.

In order to energise the coils there will probably be some sort of authentication method which will feed into a billing system. This will also help to reduce energy wasted when there are no vehicles on particular sections of road.

A thought: with such technology it would likely be trivial to monitor/record location and speed of applicable vehicles. Let's hope the privacy implications are well thought out (fat chance)?

4. frank ly

Wet blanket time

"...embed charging into the M25 and you could be sure of everyone in London getting a couple of hours charging daily."

Not everyone in London drives around the M25, or even drives a car. Who is going to pay for the massive infrastructure costs and associated installation disruption costs; and how will the cost be recovered?

What is the running energy efficiency of this system compared to parked charging of electric vehicles and what is the energy cost of the installation?

I'm a cynical and miserable old git and I ask awkward questions, but they must be asked and answered. I have a feeling that the answers will not be satisfactory.

1. dogged
      Meh

Re: Wet blanket time

It might be a way to make the bastards actually use the money from the "road fund license" for, y'know, roads.

Instead of pissing it away on MP's expenses like they do now.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Excise_Duty

"This excise duty was ring-fenced for road construction and was paid directly into a special Road Fund from 1920 until 1937 after which it was treated as general taxation"

It's not been used to fund the roads since 1937.

There are cars which output very low CO2 that pay nothing to get their tax disc, should they be banned from the roads for paying nothing?

1. Nuke

AC @ 10:05 -Re: Wet blanket time

Wrote :- "There are cars which output very low CO2 that pay nothing to get their tax disc, should they be banned from the roads for paying nothing?"

Yes

1. Mad Mike

Re: AC @ 10:05 -Wet blanket time

Unfortunately, this won't work in the UK. Firstly, the cost would be simply horrific. Secondly, electric cars are only commercially viable against fossil fuel cars (on a cost per mile not including infrastructure basis) because they charge predominantly using off-peak electricity. If they charge as they're being driven, it would be predominantly peak eletricity, which would be something like 3-4 times as expensive (depends on whether you include connection charges etc.). So, whilst it makes electric cars actually work and viable in more circumstances, it actually makes them financially far less viable due to 'fuel' cost.

Sad, but true. The big issue we have in this country (and most countries around the world), is we have plenty of spare electricity overnight (and generating capacity etc.) and we need to time shift it to even the load out. So, some form of storage (whether battery, hydrogen or whatever) is pretty much a requirement.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Errm - the article talks about topping up the battery as the buses roll. So those batteries could have been charged overnight while the buses are garaged.

Anyway, what's wrong with wires? Bring back trolleybuses

1. Mad Mike

"Errm - the article talks about topping up the battery as the buses roll. So those batteries could have been charged overnight while the buses are garaged."

Agreed you can take the first charge overnight, but it must be drawing a considerable amount during peak day to make it worthwhile. If it could last all day on batteries, you wouldn't need any of this. So, the problem still exists. It's drawing a considerable amount of extra power during peak day usage and therefore increasing the differential between high and low usage on the network. This is exactly what they're trying to remove. That's part of the reason for Smart metering. Give everyone time of day tarrifs to persuade them to take electricity during the cheaper (and therefore relatively low usage times) on the network.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

No the only reason for SMART metering is that the companies can increase tariffs while pretending it's for the customers own good. Most people use electricity when they need it or do you suggest that some people should move to being awake in the night and asleep in the day? Perhaps the unemployed and elderly??

There used to be economy 7 so you could do all your clothes washing storage heaters, during the night ... but as most storage heaters are inefficient and most washing machines only capable of doing one load without human intervention it's pretty pointless for the average consumer.

Ironically if people bought charge at home EV's it would make sense to get econ7 and perhaps they'd change their behaviours to make better use of other potential savings ... but I kind of doubt it.

Induction has a number of potential advantages ... battery substations charged overnight could power it ... the cars, lorries and buses would be lighter as they don't need to carry around batteries or fuel, thus making lorries/buses more efficient in terms of carrying capacity and cars potentially smaller, faster and requiring less energy to move ... alternatively you could just use it on long motorways, thus killing most peoples complaints that EV cars are no good for long journeys.

2. Suricou Raven

I like China's solution more. Pantographs at bus stops only. Busses have ultracaps. They'll only go for a few minutes on a charge, but that's enough to get from one stop to the next - and they charge so fast, they can get back up to full capacity in the time the bus is parked there.

2. Aldous
      Unhappy

Don't worry it won't take long before some pseudo sciency study claims induction loops cause cancer or something and then all the NIMBY's and "Think of the children brigade" will refuse to have it installed./ See also MMR, Power/phonelines, wind mills etc

1. banana-naan

What about the 'Think of the people with pacemakers' bridgade?

3. James12345

I would think that most people who live in London don't go any way near the M25 because it is after all a road for people who don't live in London. I would have thought that this would be a much better solution to replace overhead electrics on the rail network - no more disruption due to cables falling\being nicked and the exact path of the train and therefore the most efficient transfer point is a known, unlike for drivers, most of whom find it impossible to drive any distance in a straight line.

4. Irongut

It wouldn't work on UK roads anyway. Our roads are so full of potholes there is no way the infrastructure for this would last five minutes.

5. Psyx
      Facepalm

"Not everyone in London drives around the M25, or even drives a car. Who is going to pay for the massive infrastructure costs and associated installation disruption costs; and how will the cost be recovered?"

You've heard of jokes, right?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I foresee a complication

A lot of power will be "lost" as soon as commuters figure out that $50 worth of Litz wire, a few components and a length of cable spliced into the wiring loom can charge up their electric cars.

So what if it is 18% efficient, free power is still free and blows a solar panel completely to hell as far as power to weight ratio.

Possible fixes include a "challenge-response" crypto, heavy fines for anyone caught and/or road mounted EMPs to punish those caught stealing power more than once.

1. Wize

Re: I foresee a complication

You could enable sections of the road based on a radio identification unit in the bus. Some sort of changing encryption, like the securID tags. Only someone tailgating the bus will get something.

What I'm thinking about is the next time some idiot decides to dig the road up. Some people take care and check for power and pipework before digging, and work round them. Others find cables when their JCB brings them to the surface.

6. Oor Nonny-Muss
    Boffin

I wonder what happens to the charging...

... when the road is designed for say 80000 vehicles per day and I assume the charging infrastructure would follow that and then 196000 vehicles per day use it?

7. Jon Press

How well insulated are steel toecaps?

Or indeed the copper insoles I've seen advertised to "cure" arthritis.

I'd imagine the induction current from something with enough power to charge a bus battery could at least result in a toasty warm glow in your tootsies, even if you don't have lightning shooting from your shoes.

1. banana-naan

Re: How well insulated are steel toecaps?

The material needs to be ferrous AFAIK.

1. Chemist

"The material needs to be ferrous AFAIK."

And what metal do you suppose steel toecaps are made from ?

1. banana-naan
          Stop

the post said copper insoles. No mention of steel toecaps.

1. Chemist

"he post said copper insoles. No mention of steel toecaps."

Then why was the title " How well insulated are steel toecaps? " ?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The material needs to be ferrous AFAIK."

It's a long time since I did Physics but my recollection is that non-ferrous metals have electromagnetic properties. If they are a good conductor then eddy currents warm them up nicely. Even if the transfer mechanism depends on resonance for maximum efficiency - then some energy will be absorbed.

2. Jon Press

The material needs to be ferrous AFAIK

Really?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

The material needs to be ferrous AFAIK

Really?

Yes. He just didn't know far enough.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Why under?

Just wondering if it's necessary for the infrastructure to be under the road. Would it work in some form alongside the road, replacing the ubiquitous armco, or something like that? Don't really understand the technology, or at what point distance becomes too much of an issue.

Also, I can't help getting the mental image of Captain Shakespeare's vessel in "Stardust," deploying a net to catch the electricity.

1. Mark Honman

Re: Why under?

The closer the vehicle is to the loop, the more efficient the energy transfer is.

What I want to know is why the electric trolley buses were done away with all those years ago...

1. TeeCee Gold badge

According to a bloke I met who was around at the time, it's looking after the wires that's the problem.

He told me about one that "lost it" on ice one winter on a one-way system where half-a dozen routes converged. Above it at the time was a rat's nest of intersecting and crossing cables. Once it had stopped spinning, the whole lot was wound around its trolley pole like a giant, metallic candyfloss.

Apparently North London was damn near paralysed for weeks while they restrung that lot.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Yes, but if the bus has some battery capacity, there's no need for the wires at the junction, so the rat's nest goes away

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> Yes, but if the bus has some battery capacity, there's no need for the wires at the junction, so the rat's nest goes away

But then you run into issues re-attaching the pantograph while the bus is moving. Current trams and trolley busses connect up while stationary.

9. Andyf

If the wiring is placed close enough to the road surface and generates a bit of heat as part of the charging process, it could also help prevent the snow flake gridlock we always seem to see in the UK.

I appreciate that heat in electricity implies losses, but it's just a thought :)

10. Code Monkey
    Windows

Formula E

Please, please, please have a round in Yorkshire. Formula E By Gum.

11. Gavin McMenemy

Whoa wait a minute. Didn't the Daleks need these power strips at first!

12. MrXavia
    Thumb Up

Brilliant, I was in China many years ago while they still had the overhead wires powering their buses, I always thought it was a shame they stopped using them..

This technology will hopefully allow countries to get their buses back onto electric, and if we can charge on every motorway, then suddenly electric cars become practical!

1. Nuke
      Headmaster

@MrXavia

Wrote :- "I was in China many years ago while they still had the overhead wires powering their buses, I always thought it was a shame they stopped using them.."

I remember them in London (up until ~1965?). Three problems -

(1) Pointwork - most routes were radially in the suburbs so that they did not need to cross other routes. Points were possible - such as for the branch to the depot, where the driver got out and pulled a lever on the post.

(2) Roadworks and other diversions, and even large parked vehicles could bring things to a halt.

(3) The maintenance and ugliness of those overhead wires.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: @MrXavia

Wires + batteries eliminates 1) + 2) and 3) can be dealt with by good design

1. Bronek Kozicki
          Thumb Up

Re: @MrXavia

... especially if you replace wires with wireless charging (yes, this can work overhead too).

2. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Da Weezil
    FAIL

another pipe dream

Given the number of dire warnings about an ageing UK generation infrastructure - and thew potential for "gray outs" due to a lack of capacity in the UK at peak times.. where is all the power for this going to come from? And how is this *green* power going to be produced in enough quantity to power the additional requirement?

1. Mad Mike

Re: another pipe dream

"And how is this *green* power going to be produced in enough quantity to power the additional requirement?"

That is indeed a big issue. During the last winter freezes (snow for a week etc.), wind generation was almost zero. Absolutely tiny. The reason is that cold freezes like this are associated with calm conditions over the UK. Do you really want all transport to stop because the windmills aren't turning?

2. ecofeco Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Re: another pipe dream

From those wind generators that are being rejected.

Oops.

14. Nuke
    Facepalm

And the point is?

Main problem with electric vehicles at the moment seems to be the need for charging points for batteries every 100 miles or so:-

www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/14/elon_musk_apologized_tesla_s/

So instead, we go for a system that requires induction points every few yards?

15. Lee D Silver badge

- Inefficient charging.

- Miles of roads ripped up (again)

- High-cost metal loops put into the roads.

- Knock-on effects of huge inductive loops on car radios, satellite equipment, and everything else you get in a moving box of metal controlled by electronics when you induce a huge current in it.

- "free" electricity (so someone, somewhere pays for you to charge your car, and assumes you'll ONLY charge your car on it).

- Differing standards / compatibility already.

- And, at the end of the day, no worse than having a free plug-in point where you park and at home (or for buses, at the DAMN BUS STOP!). In fact, that makes infinitely more sense to do that than to have this junk underneath the road.

I love the way we talk about just ripping up miles of road, slapping in some humongous, inefficient inductive coils into both the bus and road (yeah, because nobody would steal metal while it's got power running through it, right?!) and it all just working better than plugging the bus in for an hour at the beginning / end of a journey instead.

How would it work on motorways? At 70mph, I would be "in range" of a 30m inductive coil for less than a second. To get an hour's worth of inductive charging I would have to drive over 108km of coils with no gaps. Not only is that a HUGE amount of metal, that's a huge amount of digging up the roads, and a very unusual driving pattern. Multiply it up by lots and lots of cars, lane, buses, and everything else and it's a stupendous waste of resources to do what a battery and a plug socket can do.

Even assuming that plugging it in is only twice as efficient as inducing the same current, I could get the same power in 30 mins of being parked (and even buses spend more time parked, over a day, than they do moving). I think an extra electric bus taking it in turns to park for 30mins or go for a 30mins circuit of the route is going to be cheaper than ripping up even 1km of roads. Take into account peak periods (more expensive electric) and system-gaming (drive car along road, take it home, swap battery - or use car to power something - drive car back along road whenever you run out of juice, hey presto free electricity without even having to modify the car or charging systems).

I've heard some utterly ridiculous ideas, but induction charging vehicles by in-road chargers? Please. If you want to do that, just save the effort and change the roads for mag-lev tracks and have done with it. More efficient, same power source, same number of changes required to vehicles and much, much, much less electricity wasted inducing currents in passing trucks full of metal.

1. D@v3

Motorways

"How would it work on motorways? At 70mph, I would be "in range" of a 30m inductive coil for less than a second"

Unless it's the M25 at peak times, where it can take 10-15 minutes to go over that 30m section of road, so all the time you are effectively stationary, but still using power (radio, air con etc..) you wouldn't be using the (or at least, much of the) charge from your batteries.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Really Lee D?

Of course it's entirely possible that cars could be made out of something other than metal.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One problem hopefully solved

This sounds like a good idea getting past the battery issue of current electric cars. However there is an excessive drive to reduce our energy consumption and worse we have replaced energy generating power stations with wind farms and solar panels. The push for less co2 destroys any hope of rolling out this technology very far.

Considering how great the last gov was at securing our energy supply could we trust them to deploy this technology and deploy the required energy sources regardless of the nutters?

1. localzuk Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: One problem hopefully solved

Excessive drive to reduce energy consumption?? What? Reducing energy consumption is something we should all be wanting to do every day - as it then costs us less. Regardless of the environmental arguments.

How can a drive to reduce consumption be excessive?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"How can a drive to reduce consumption be excessive?"

When the reduction is enforced and reduces the quality of life.

1. Steven Roper
          Big Brother

As Mr. Orwell so rightly pointed out in 1984:

"...and at present the electric current was cut off during daylight hours. It was all part of the economy drive in preparation for Hate Week."

Of course, the real reason the power was cut off was precisely to reduce the quality of life; part of the underlying principle that power is asserted by making people suffer.

17. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Thumb Up

If they electrify the M25...

just do the left hand lane, maybe then it would keep Audi, Merc and BMW drivers over to the left, rather than hogging the outside lane(s).

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Graphene

I bet graphene has a role to play here. Mix it into the tar and lay a road that generates the required field when a current is applied?

19. Peter Ford
    Thumb Down

Didn't Oxford do something like this?

Years ago, they put some buses on a limited route with a charging point at the railway station. Those buses I think used a big flywheel to store the power, which was spun up by induction while it waited at the stop.

To me, the bus application is a realistic use of something like this: the stops are fairly predictable and at the ends of the route are often a couple of minutes idle time to spend charging. Add in the fact that bus engines are not the cleanest things on the road, and that electric drive gives you the sort of low speed acceleration that works well on a bus, and you're sorted.

HGV's could probably get some use from this sort of thing, although it would be simple just to plug them in at service stations while the drivers take their requisite tacho breaks...

If we could remove stinky diesel engines from public transport and freight that would cut a big chunk of the pollution and emissions problems, even if the cars all stick to internal comustion engines...

20. Dr. Ellen

Shriek! Wail!

If you thought the fuss over powerline cancer and cellphone cancer was bad ....

21. MJI Silver badge

I was thinking overhead then Scaletrix

Overhead needs a return which is why railways work so well. But slot cars - sounds good to me.

I used to have a slot bus and slot lorry - Minic

22. Jess--

wouldn't there also be an increased drag imposed on the vehicle as a result of the induction based charging

23. John Tappin

Will nobody suggest the hybri scalextric option?

Looks forward to the crossover section!!

1. Sorry, "Sorry that handle is already taken" is already taken.
      Go

Re: Will nobody suggest the hybri scalextric option?

I envisage a full size version of the Race 'N' Chase I never got as a kid.

Can't wait for the tipping bridge/jump section. :-D

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One day we'll wake up

To find someone's nicked the M25 for copper.

25. ecofeco Silver badge
    Unhappy

Thank god I live in the US where we are leaders in high speed trains, alt energy, mass transit and electric vehicles!

Oh wait... never mind.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lateral thinking

We could either continue our search for solutions using the expensive technological options at our disposal, or take advantage of Nature's head start provided by many millions of years of variation and natural selection. What I am suggesting is that we look to nature for some kind of biological transport mechanism - one that has evolved over time to do the very thing that we require. One with sufficiently predictable behaviour, that is able to be programmed for the desired task. One that consumes renewable resources, and produced bio-degradable waste products. Perhaps several units that fit this description could be harnessed together, to provide an engine that can be attached to some kind of carriage unit.

I realise that this is a radical proposal, and has obviously never been tried before, but I believe that it could work. I suggest that we start with limited trials. Naturally public safety is a primary concern, and therefore I suggest that a suitable attired safety officer could walk in front of these experimental vehicles carrying a red flag.

1. Steven Roper
      Thumb Up

Re: Lateral thinking

The problem with your suggestion is that if we did use said "biological transport mechanism", we'd all be up to our necks in "bio-degradable waste products"!

27. Nigel 11
    WTF?

Bus stops?

I'm surprised that the obvious seems to have been missed. Busses spend a lot of time stopped at predefined locations - bus stops. Put the induction chargers at the stops (only). Give the busses some sort of secure-ID so that the charging turns on only when there's a bus at the stop. Installation cost greatly reduced, freeloader problem greatly recuced. Add yellow lines and discharge monitoring and cameras for further defense against freeloaders.

28. mark l 2 Silver badge

Bratislava in Slovakia still has the electric trolley buses so they are still in use in other places of the world. Unfortunately in the UK we ripped up most of our tram and trolley bus infrastructure when we thought the car was going to be the bees knees and no one would need public transport anymore

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is hardly new technology or application - Inductive Power Transfer (IPT) has been around for years and keeps getting a prod every 5 years or so. The company I used to work for installed a light rail system about 10 years ago for a tourist spot. The gear was amazingly expensive, was expensive to install and does emit a reasonable amount of RF which can cause more than a few issues if you need to use any other sort of cellular or HF device... It did work though, and for the short length of rail was a good choice of technology.

The cost benefit ratio for regular roading (with all the logistical issues of getting high voltage power along miles and miles of roads) is not going to ever make this a viable option. I think a good example of this are the IPT "Cateye" reflectors (Centre line delineators) which use a radio based IPT system. Despite being a viable and very neat product they are still not popular due to the cost of installing and maintaining the system in the harsh roading environment. They are a specialty device used for specialty applications where a cost benefit can be proven (like tunnels or motorways).

That being said, I still think the original concepts of IPT / near field charging systems were brilliant for smart phones - less tangle on my desk..

30. RLWatkins

"Pantograph"

It is indeed a wonderful word, and refers to a device used to create a drawing by tracing another drawing.

It's used occasionally and *fancifully* for the gizmos on top of electric streetcars, because of the gizmo's slight resemblance to an actual pantograph.

1. Nogbad1958
      Joke

Re: "Pantograph"

You know I always thought that it was either a measuring device for christmas entertainments, or a way of sorting semi nude piccys on the web

31. bag o' spanners
    Pirate

twofer

Put induction coils under speed bumps.

32. Allan George Dyer
    Facepalm

Backups and bank cards...

Hopefully, all the banks will have changed to chip-and-pin before this is deployed.

The popularity of tape for transfers to off-site backup might suffer.

33. baguar
    Headmaster

More lateral thinking - generating electricity

I always wondered about doing this in reverse - use the movement of vehicles over induction loops in the road to generate electricity.

Nor sure about the practicalities of this, no doubt some brighter spark (*ahem*) than me can point out the many and obvious flaws in this cunning plan.

34. TheDillinquent
    Alert

Let the train take the strain - best of both worlds.

Why not put the charging loops into car carrying carriages on trains? Then you would be able to drive onto a train in your limited range EV and drive off at the other end with a fully charged battery. HS2 would start to make sense then.

35. This Side Up
    Headmaster

Pantographs

"pantographs (a wonderful word, referring to the sprung connector usually seen atop a tram or train that collects power from an overhead cantenary wire) "

No, it collects power from the contact wire. The contact wire is suspended from the catenary by means of droppers. A catenary is the shape of a chain with finite mass suspended between two points. For obvious reasons the contact wire needs to be as flat as possible although it zig-zags from side to side to avoid wearing a groove in the carbon contact strip on the pantograph.

36. Mips
    Childcatcher

Stupid! Inefficient!

As any power engineer will tell you.

It is only lightweight electronics guys who think differently.

This topic is closed for new posts.