back to article JBoss is juicy, but Vert.x could bring sexy back to Red Hat

Seven years after Red Hat snatched JBoss out from under Larry Ellison’s nose, the enterprise Linux distributor is continuing to squeeze the juice from the open-source application server. Red Hat spent $350m buying JBoss in 2006 and today it forms the technology backbone and the brand-name basis of Red Hat’s enterprise …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does Werner's surname really translate to what I think it does??

2. David Dawson

How does rollout of openstack

Affect the use of JBoss?

To generalise somewhat openstack gives you VMs, it doesn't give you application stacks. That would be a PaaS job, like cloudfoundry (vmware) or openshift (Red Hat).

Either of those could (and indeed, probably should) be put onto something like openstack or vsphere.

They provide full stacks in the way that it is implied that openstack does. In fact, OpenShift, from Red Hat, is based on JBoss.

1. blofse
      Thumb Down

Re: How does rollout of openstack

That's what I thought, Jboss is a J2ee container and ec2/openstack are vm's like you say...

so according to Gavin Clarke, you can just bung an ear onto any web-server, lets say Apache and it will know what to do (implied by this report)!

Whoops. Wrong. Your fired!

I suggest deleting this report otherwise it may create a bunch of student ignoramuses, it's simply misinformation!

3. David Halko
    Go

Vert.x and Node.js

> Vert.x could also eclipse the industry’s most recent best hope, Node.js

It is sad that Server-side JavaScript from Netscape never took-off in popularity - it ran everywhere. Perhaps JavaScript was too immature, at the time.

Node.js has an unfortunate & unhealthy dependance upon Google's [non-portable] V8 engine while Vert.x sits on Java. It is great that Node.js sits on Joyent cloud, but Vert.x has the potential to sit on more public & private clouds than Node.js can ever exist on.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

OpenJDK ...

I was wondering what are the security implications of using OpenJDK rather than the Oracle version of JAVA?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like