back to article Samsung mocks Apple lawsuit in SuperBowl teaser ad

Samsung has released a star-studded teaser video for its ad that will run during this Sunday's SuperBowl "El Plato Supremé", a clip that mocks patent and copyright litigation – and, by extension, its long-running adversary, Apple. In the video, funnymen Bob Odenkirk, Seth Rogen, and Paul Rudd are seen discussing ad ideas for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dazed and Confused

Even if the average fan doesn't get it

The media will,

Likely to create publicity, which is what adverts are supposed to do. They work even better if you can get all the news channels to advertise your advert for you. Saves a bloody fortune if you don't have to pay for all the air time yourselves.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Even if the average fan doesn't get it

In its own way it's also an oblique reference to Apple's own original "Think Different" advert which I think ran at a SuperBowl: everyone recognises who is being attacked. Back then it was IBM and this is a more post-modern: it knows it is all about being in on the in-joke. Good attempt to move Samsung's image upmarket.

2. Keith 72
      Happy

This ad's going to go down a treat. Look at how agitated the AC fanbois are just from the snippet of the ad. Hilarious!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So subtle as to be irrelevant - most people will wonder what they are flogging - Samsung Galaxy so what?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

Re: AC

I guess they don't care. It's just a "get attention" add. Does anyone notice what the iPhone/iPod do that others don't, or do the adds just play nice music and show happy people?

Some adds do show the product, other times it's just about showing something fun to potential customers. Or in this case, getting attention, possibly for the wrong reasons. ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thats just US advertising catching up. Its about brand placement, not selling a specific product.

Some ads in the UK, it can get to the end and you still have no clue what it was about. But the point is it sticks in your mind, along with the brand.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No it's just a badly targeted ad with an obscure jab at a major US company that most people will not even get - would have saved my cash.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Genius - not. Samsung the next big thing - then 'ideas?' - then some supposed joke about trademarks that actually comes across as if they are taking the p*ss out of the super big plate - whatever. You come away from it thinking what was that about before moving on to more interesting thoughts. Big fail.

I would rather have seen an ad by Google for Android.

1. Danny 14
        Thumb Down

silly waste of money though. Do people sit and watch adverts in the breaks? Surely that would be pee time or get more chow time.

2. David Barr

Good casting

Everybody loves the Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad, smart move to cast him as the lawyer.

Even if it doesn't connect with people about the Apple lawsuit stuff, all the same it's entertaining.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a nice way of dodging the fact that they were found guilty and are being asked to pay $1 billion in damages.

1. DF118

face

palm

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

Re: face

Does Apple even own the trademark to iPod in China yet? Or iPhone in Mexico yet?

1. Daniel B.

hehe. They have to pay something like 40% to iFone in Mexico. Karma!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Joke

"palm"

Oh, FFS, don't drag them in to this, too.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No problem. The justice system is well known for it's sense of humour. The timing is perfect.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pay up Samsung. Perhaps Apple should publish a clock with the 1.05bn plus interest ticking UP and a sign saying CRIME DOESN'T PAY ??

1. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

How about that AC post a clock with "time to clue" on it, but with no hands (thereby ensuring that it doesn't violate Swiss Railways' trademarks, unlike Apple)?

1. Frank Bough

Most importantly

Apple paid up and changed the icon because the Swiss were in the right.

1. t.est

Re: Most importantly

Changed?

I never saw any change, but they did pay a hefty sum of money.

2. Not That Andrew
        Joke

@AC 18:53 : Perhaps it could be a Swiss railway Clock?

The post is required, and must contain letters.

3. Naughtyhorse

yeah!

and Samsung can get a guy dressed as Lucy Koh in a bulldozer to knock the fucking thing over.

works for me

4. bdam
      Facepalm

True, but not as embarrassing as Apple being ordered to print apologies for the same lie in the British press.

Then told to again, because they apologised wrong.

5. AlbertH
      FAIL

Sore foot, Apple?

Heard of the expression "shooting yourself in the foot"? That's Apple - they sued their ONLY supplier of screens, memory and processors. Samsung have (of course) increased the prices of the components radically....

Apple then contacted LG to see if they could buy screens - "Yes" said LG, but then pointed out that they only bought them in from Samsung, and the price had just gone up radically....

Every "manufacturer" that Apple tried told them the same thing....

Have you noticed that Apple have stopped advertising their (abysmal) IPhone 5 and their (abysmally under specified and grossly overpriced) tablets?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Sore foot, Apple?

I somehow doubt it was their only supplier and as for increasing prices my guess it's contractual based on volume - Apple have dropped the volume so much (buying elsewhere) that they pay more per component.

Apple do not need to advertise them - tablet sales were up 49% compared to last year and they sell every one they can make. iPhone sales are also well up on a year ago.

Not much point spending money advertising a product that advertises itself. Even the people I see with non-Apple tablets refer to them as iPads - I have never heard anything say WOW it's a Galaxy - just don't happen - unless it's the more famous Galaxy made of chocolate.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Sore foot, Apple?

Underspecified - you mean because Samsung have to make it +1 DPI - why not 16.1Gb RAM and 32.1Gb RAM for instance. Then a +0.1" screen... you get the point.

4. Steve Knox

Misquote?

I believe the quote in the ad was actually "I could never get a Samsung. I'm a creative," which served only to make that character even more risible.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Misquote?

Watch the ad; there's a link. He clearly says "I'm creative," not "I'm a creative."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Reckon it actually alienated a lot of potential customers = shot in foot. Yeah look at all you d*cks queuing to buy a phone when in reality they would love for anyone to want it that much.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Yeah, samsung doesn't make any popular phones! Thats why Apple are trying so hard to cause trouble, because they aren't worried at all.

The S3 did ok, might even be a few folks waiting for an s4, they might even get it home without being robbed. Just because thousands of people don't camp out for weeks waiting for a phone doesn't mean it's crap. Shit you wanna see devotion, try thinking back to the queues outside toys r us for tracey island's!

3. Frank Bough

At your level, perhaps?

5. Roger B
    Thumb Up

Good to see Saul survived the end of Breaking Bad (I guess?)

and also, Go Niners! Yes I'm a Brit, from the UK, but I was a huge 49ers fan in the 80's and am very excited about watching the big game on Sunday night.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Good to see Saul survived the end of Breaking Bad (I guess?)

> but I was a huge 49ers

Watch out! They're gonna sue your "ass".

1. Roger B

Damn! sorry, Go "Fifty-minus-one-ers" am I allowed to wear my surprisingly small gold jacket?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Roger B "Good to see Saul survived the end of Breaking Bad (I guess?)"

What arse modded down your comment ?

6. Chad H.

Um, okay, its amusing, but what are you selling?

You could see some phones there, but no real good shots of them.

Could ultimately be an ad for anything.... which means it ends up being an ad for nothing.

1. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Not true. It's an ad for the brand, which is harder to pull off but more effective in the long term if they succeed (which this looks like it might).

In this specific context, it's challenging the Apple brand, not the iPhone 5GsXPodTouch9 with Retina Display (or whatever).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No-one gives a fig about it being a Samsung. it just happens they make some of the better / cheaper Android phones at the moment but they have nothing unique so that could change when the wind changes.

My money is actually on Motorola or even Nokia - Nokia still shift a huge number of handsets - whack Android on them and they would probably have 20% of the Android market right away. They reason they are not is because there will be little or no profit in Android - apart from Samsung there is little money being made.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No-one gives a fig about it being a Samsung. it just happens they make some of the better / cheaper Android phones at the moment but they have nothing unique so that could change when the wind changes.

which would be the whole point of the ad, to turn samsung into a desirable brand rather than just a producer of cheap android phones.

1. BorkedAgain
            Happy

Au contraire...

My Samsung Note was anything but cheap when I got it, albeit some time back, but it's functional as all hell and damned good value, all told.

Cheap? Pah.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Au contraire...

"make some of the better / cheaper Android phones"

I read that as that Samsung make some of the best and best cheap Android devices. i.e. that they make a big range (price wise) and they're all pretty good

2. cordwainer 1
              Childcatcher

Re: Au contraire...

Your phone may not have been cheap, but at least it wasn't cheap.

[Score: Language flexibility-1; Chance of worldwide mutual comprehension, ever-0]

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Gonna take more than a super bowl ad to them desirable. Fact is most people would buy Apple but buy Samsung as it's cheaper.

1. Mark .

Aside from being untrue (Samsung outsell Apple even at only the high end; plus many Apple sales are made up of cheap products, like the older phones still on sale, not to mention other areas like mp3 players), I find this argument odd anyway. The cost of a phone is just as much a part of the product - any old fool can produce something if cost is no object, but delivering it at a cost that people buy is what takes the skill.

I mean, you might as well say "Most people would buy Apple, but buy Samsung as they make better phones". It's absurd to handwave away the latter part as an excuse, and spin it as Apple being better. Rather, the fact that Samsung deliver to customers here means it's they that have done better. The fact that a hypothetical Apple might do better in a hypothetical world where the phones were better or they weren't so expensive is neither here nor there.

2. Doogie1

@ Malcolm Weir

Ok. I'll bite. What's the point of an ad for a brand?

1. Frank Bough

Clue

I think the clue is in the word "brand".

2. AlbertH

What's the point of an ad for a brand?

Perhaps you should ask the same thing of Apple! Their adverts for their computers were always designed to be "aspirational" and suggest that there was a justification for their excessive prices. They were always trying to sell a "brand" rather than a product.

1. Doogie1
            Facepalm

@AlbertH

I think you'll find "Their adverts for their computers" , as you describe them, were ADVERTS FOR THEIR COMPUTERS. And you call Apple users stupid!

2. Paul E

Not selling anything yet..

Its not an ad for as product its the ad for the ad for the produce.

3. Van

"Samsung Galaxy" "The next big thing" was clear enough for me

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah it has such a ring to it when most people I know call their copy-pads iPads etc. Galaxy is over-used - we will see Galaxy toasters and kettles next.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The next BIG THING in... WHAT? Toasters, fridges, how every everything in the GALAXY that's the point we are going to dominate the whole GALAXY muhahahahah.

The only Galaxy I like is chocolate and the one I live in.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. AlbertH
      Boffin

Stupid is as stupid does...

Could ultimately be an ad for anything.... which means it ends up being an ad for nothing.

Obviously the advert was aimed way above your head. No need to feel bad. Most Apple users are fundamentally stupid - they buy Apple because they're intellectually challlenged and believe that it's "Easy to Use".....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Stupid is as stupid does...

Mus be why I see so much Apple kit used by universities.

2. Ted Treen
        FAIL

Re: Stupid is as stupid does...

@AlbertH

It must be terrific to be so intellectually superior that you can make such sweeping generalisations AND a) think you're smart and b) to expect anyone with an IQ greater than their shoe size to believe you and even praise you for it.

"Stupid is as stupid does" indeed.

7. Suricou Raven
    Happy

Superbowl fans are busy right now.

There's a minor scandal going on in the world of handegg. The Raven's linebacker Ray Lewis has been publicly accused by Sports Illustrated of taking performance-enhancing drugs, after he was caught trying to find a source for growth hormone. He then proceeded to dig the hole a little deeper by claiming that no less than Satan himself, old red-and-horny, was personally responsible for this slander upon his reputation. The accusations leveled no less than a week before he is due to receive a 'Lifetime of Inspiration' award from a prominant Christian sporting body.

It's all of dubious foundation right now - speculation based on what may be just circumstantial evidence. Only time will see if the accusations are indeed true or not, but it's already got the fans of the sport divided.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Superbowl fans are busy right now.

I'd be more worried about him stabbing someone after a trivial argument.

Which of course one does not have to be worried about because it he was found COMPLETELY INNOCENT in a COURT OF LAW of ALL CHARGES except the ones about obstructing the course of justice and concealing evidence.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not a Galaxy Fridge as that is what they will be back to selling in a year or so when Motorola, Sony or someone else come out with the next best Android phone.

1. Denarius
      Trollface

think differently and at tangents

given the bloating of OS to make phones smarter (and harder to just make calls on ) how about a salute to the past and something big ? A software equivalent to the Ford Galaxy ? Oh, sorry , all ready done by ${your favorite target}

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ask Galaxy owners if they would definitely buy a Samsung device next time - probably 10-20% would.

Ask Apple owners if they would definitely but an Apple device next time - 80%+ would.

This game is Apple vs Google - Samsung are a pawn and when people move to 'whatever next' they will see a huge drop in revenue and across the board as so much of their revenue is dependent on mobile now (i.e. selling screens, flash, CPUs) and they tried to screw Apple (their largest external customer) and who else would buy from them.

Let's assume Motorola make the next best phone - Q: would you buy chips, flash and screens from Samsung (a competitor) or someone else? A: Someone else.

1. nsld
      FAIL

ah

And you obviously pulled those numbers out fo the arse of the magic elephant as I highly doubt they could have come from anywhere else.

Are you enjoying your extra row of icons and getting lost all the time?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: ah

Try doing a bit of research. Enjoying your malware and iOS users now have Apple Maps and Google Maps and before you get too smug:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/technology/news/article/-/15610781/police-warn-of-safety-concerns-from-google-maps/

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Android Malware:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2018388/android-devices-in-u-s-face-more-malware-attacks-than-pcs.html

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

More Android Malware:

http://www.itpro.co.uk/645244/trend-micro-five-times-more-malware-found-on-android-devices-than-pcs-in-2012

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Android Secure - think again?

http://www.neowin.net/news/android-malware-to-reach-1-million-cases-in-2013

This is the Android achilles heel and Google seem either unwilling or unable to try and resolve. I really can't believe if people KNEW they would be so keen to buy Android devices.

1. Androgynous Crackwhore
              Stop

Slow down RICHTO AC... you'll blow an aneurysm.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yeah down vote the truth whydontcha - check the referrers probably lots of Samsung HQ / Korean IPs lol.

4. nsld

Well, having read all of your anonymous coward posts I thought I would reply to the first one to save other the pain of wading through the neck deep swamp of PR faeces that laces the next two pages.

Despite your best efforts and extrapolations its still the case that you pulled your numbers out of the arse of the magic elephant that wanders the grounds in Cupertino.

Why post anonymously, are you embarrassed to admit you are a paid PR commentator?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

84% - see: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8915861/Apple-iPhone-users-most-brand-loyal.html

Read it and weep.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

60% for Android and if you said a Samsung running Android it would be even less.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I'm surprised 60% even know they have an Android. Of all the Android users I know some have Kindle Fire's which really are almost proprietary and more locked down than iOS etc. Others have a mix of cheap Android phones and tablets but most use them for little more than calls + text and many have no data tariff <lol>.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Thumb Up

I have a question for the Non-Anonymous cowards: This is an observation that could be wrong, but out of the Apple, Microsoft, Linux fans...more Apple fans than any of the others seem to post as an Anonymous Cowards. Why? If they are so proud, then...well you understand where I'm going.

For the people that think Samsung isn't advertising anything here, well, I sort of agree. However, I think that the advertisement is solely a mockery of the USA's USPTO and regulations around it. To that I say, BRAVO! Now make it stick!

1. Stuart Elliott
              Facepalm

I'm a iPhone and iPad owner, and am not an AC, but neither do I feel the need to ridicule someone else for what choice of phone / tablet they own either, so I guess that makes me a rarity around these parts then?

2. Anonymous Coward
              Holmes

> "more Apple fans than any of the others seem to post as an Anonymous Cowards. Why?"

Their bosses in Cupertino require that they comment on several dozen websites per hour if they want to collect a paycheck, so there's no time to register for all the sites. Much faster to comment as AC.

1. Quxy
                Pint

Anonymous astroturfing

Yeah, you gotta wonder about that, as you scroll past the dozens of ACs spouting shrill marketing-speak advocacy for Apple and Microsoft who inevitably comment on this sort of article. Now, we all know who the *Linux* evangelists are around here, and none of *them* are anonymous... ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

We need an option to hide all the AC comments

Oh, wait...

3. danny_0x98

Patents and trade marks are different under US law, and this is all about not running afoul of the NFL's ip-guardians.

I suppose it could be read as allegory regarding the patent dispute initiated by Apple, though one has to recall that Samsung has initiated some suits under patent laws. One could argue that was retaliation, but we'll never know. So, Samsung is essentially okay with patent law. Does the NFL zealously enforce trademarks? Indeed it does, so the ad is not hyperbole.

Here's the thing, Samsung could invoke the game and the teams if it paid the big, big bucks to the NFL. They are basically saying they won't, even though they spent a fair penny for good talent in an ad that will be hopelessly stale by the end of the month. (Unless they filmed alternates for other, similarly trademarked events, such as the Academy Awards.)

The three all are in proximity to what we presume are Samsung devices, but we don't see any one using them beyond having, holding and waving around. Frankly, because I think all three actors are great, we engage with the conversation, frustration, and Odenkirk's variety of cut-offs more than the props. The scenario is a bit false in that the attorneys do not discuss script issues with the actors. Since Odenkirk's attorney is the enforcer here, isn't it a mistake that he also has a Samsung device?

Regarding effectiveness as a branding exercise. "We're the guys whose attorneys insist we say stupid things so we don't get sued?" All righty then. There's some real differentiation.

4. chebucto
              Paris Hilton

Perhaps because, generally speaking, pro-apple posts get modded down to hell, even when they state simple fact?

There is a bitter dislike of Apple here that would likely makes most people who value their account reputation hide behind the AC mask.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

On here you could say anything true o positive about Apple and get down voted and anything negative or untrue about Android / Samsung and get upvoted.

1. PrivateCitizen
                  Stop

anything negative or untrue about Android / Samsung and get upvoted

If negative and untrue comments about Android / Samsung got upvoted, you would have millions of upvotes by now.

Did you mean to say something else?

2. PrivateCitizen
          Stop

84% - see: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8915861/Apple-iPhone-users-most-brand-loyal.html

Read it and weep.

Nothing more recent? Like since the S3 came out?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The point is people are more brand loyal to Apple - Samsung is just another Android phone. When it's due for an upgrade the user may as well buy a HTC, Asus, Motorola, Sony or one of many, many more.

So what are the chances of someone buying a Samsung Android phone today definitely buying another Samsung Android phone in 2 years time. It all depends firstly on whether the user sticks with Android (perhaps 60% would - or should I say 40% would not). Then how many of those would commit say in the next 6-12 months to definitely buying a Samsung when it's due for renewal - let's be generous and say half.

So 100 people buy one today - 60% would be prepared to buy Android - so that's 60 people left. Of those half may commit to it being a Samsung - so that's 30 - i.e. 30%.

1. elaar

"The point is people are more brand loyal to Apple - Samsung is just another Android phone."

It's the "brand loyal" that makes people judge you.

"When it's due for an upgrade the user may as well buy a HTC, Asus, Motorola, Sony or one of many, many more."

Yep, it's called choice, a healthy market, it's what keeps prices to a minimum.

"So what are the chances of someone buying a Samsung Android phone today definitely buying another Samsung Android phone in 2 years time", Who cares? You're saying this is worse than sticking with Apple for the rest of your life?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

You are proving their point - the issue was not would you buy Android (this is not iOS vs Android) - the issue is would you buy Samsung so that means would you buy Android (60% of people say they would) then would you buy Samsung - maybe - maybe not.

People get all worked up thinking it's an attack on their beloved Android.

So bottom line is for every S3 sold today how many would definitely buy a new Sx in 2 years time whereas for every iPhone 4/5 user far more would buy an iPhone x in 2 years time.

1. PrivateCitizen

So bottom line is for every S3 sold today how many would definitely buy a new Sx in 2 years time whereas for every iPhone 4/5 user far more would buy an iPhone x in 2 years time.

Because they are locked into the iOS ecosystem and changing will be painful.

That is a really good way to do business. Its not like it isnt going to eventually start to reduce the number of new entrants to the ecosystem or anything, is it?

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"It's the "brand loyal" that makes people judge you."

Set your own house in order before doing too much judging - people in glass houses and all that.

2. Tom 35

You say that like it's a good thing

People who buy an Apple are now stuck with Apple. If they switch they have to rebuy all their apps.

If you have a Samsung, you are not locked to Samsung, you can buy any Android and keep your apps. Or you can have a Samsung phone and an Asus tablet and still share apps.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: You say that like it's a good thing

Stuck with iOS is a bit like only having the earth - whereas on Android I could hop from one asteroid to another.

iOS has more and better apps and as it makes more money for devs it will probably continue that way - can think of worse ways to be stuck. My 3GS was fine - it still is as I passed it on knowing the new user still gets updates etc. I bought a 5 for the better camera but the old phone was well over 3 years old - swapping over was a painless process and it all continues to work with my Apple TV.

1. Philip Lewis
                  Thumb Up

Re: You say that like it's a good thing

"Stuck with iOS is a bit like only having the earth - whereas on Android I could hop from one asteroid to another."

Brilliant metaphor!

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

S3 is a decent enough phone but nothing someone else could do not and probably will - cheaper.

Nexus 4? Sony? Lenovo? Nokia even if they had not put too much into WinPho. Point is Samsung are riding a wave for now - they make the cash selling the handset but that's it - there is no loyalty to Samsung specifically - if anything it's to Google.

1. PrivateCitizen
              Stop

Re AC @ 2021

S3 is a decent enough phone but nothing someone else could do not and probably will - cheaper.

Good. From the customers point of view that is great and we should applaud it.

From Samsung's POV it is also good because by the time they do, Samsung will have moved on and as long as enough people want the "good" sooner, they will be profitable.

The iPhone 3 was a decent enough phone, but nothing someone else couldnt do and did a lot cheaper.

Sadly the same can be said about the iPhone 5.

there is no loyalty to Samsung specifically - if anything it's to Google.

So? Why should people be loyal to any brand if it isnt delivering the goods people want? If Samsung continue to delivery a device that does what I want at a price I want to pay, I will buy it. When it stops, I will stop.

I am glad Samsung have used Android because that gives me the flexibility to move to other platforms if and when they are better.

Are you suggesting the "brand loyalty" to Apple is good because it encourages people to buy products that are not significantly better than the competition at the same price point?

If you really are, I am surprised.

If you arent, clarification would be nice. Ideally in one post at a time but it is up to you.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

So if that's the point why are Samsung so keen to build a BRAND when surely all they have to do is make sure they make the best Android handset and people will come cash in hand - simples. Hence the ad was pointless.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

WTF? Someone else for whom the penny has dropped. Brilliant, where are the fandroid responses?

2. Chris Miller

Brand loyalty

I see this as part of the attraction of the Android ecosystem. When the time comes to change my Galaxy, I can stick with Samsung or, if there's a better offering from another manufacturer, I can switch and still keep almost all the apps I'm familiar with. This gives rise to competition, which has a history of generating better products. Because Apple can rely on a high degree of loyalty from their users, they are under less pressure to innovate.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. VinceH

Re: Brand loyalty

"Because Apple can rely on a high degree of their users having invested good money in apps and are therefore locked in if they want to continue using them, they are under less pressure to innovate."

There. Fixed it for you.

I agree with you totally, though - being able to carry apps across one one phone/tablet to another, even if it's from a different manufacturer, is definitely a big advantage of the Android ecosystem.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Don't see how people can genuinely say that about innovation - Apple innovate and the others copy - that's what started this whole issue. Apple did it - Samsung copied - now Samsung are trying to mitigate it - clever tactic perhaps but does not get away from the fact Apple did the iPhone and iPad first. Yes there were smartphones and tablets but not as we know them today.

The iPhone 5 is basically about the best phone you can buy - I'm not saying there are not good Android or other phones as well but the iPhone 5 is still a cracking phone. Considering the S3 is only about 20% / £100 cheaper - what's that a few quid a month over a 2 year contract - pretty irrelevant. Look at the new Blackberry - £30-40 cheaper - going to be a hard sell that one.

Apple service, support and longevity easily outweighs the price difference.

1. Mystic Megabyte
            Gimp

Why is it that when I read anon apple fandoid posts I always think of scientologists?

Oh yeah now I remember, they're both batshit crazy.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I see this as part of the attraction of the Android ecosystem. When the time comes to change my Galaxy, I can stick with Samsung or, if there's a better offering from another manufacturer,"

Good for you - not good for Samsung is it?

1. PrivateCitizen
          WTF?

Re AC @ 2030

Good for you - not good for Samsung is it?

It depends.

It forces Samsung to keep trying to produce something worth getting, which is certainly good for the customer.

If Samsung drops the ball, the miracle of the market economy will punish it and give another supplier the opportunity.

The annoying thing about Apple is that it tries to avoid this and looks to lock people in. Once you are in the iOS ecosystem, when it comes to time for new hardware, if you dont like the Apple version, you dont have the same choice.

If it wasnt for the likes of Samsung putting pressure on Apple, and HTC etc putting pressure on Samsung, we would all be worse off, so your apparent campaign against Samsung is a bit strange.

4. Mark .

Quite. I'm thoroughly confused how, in a debate about Samsung vs Apple phones, people argue for the latter by saying "But Samsung users have more freedom to move to other makes of phones".

(I've noticed this generally with Apple debates. It doesn't matter what products one personally like, it just seems odd when one group of people aren't even arguing the debate by the same rules - it's like one set of people saying they prefer chocolate ice cream because it tastes better, and another saying they don't like chocolate because it costs less, there are lots of varieties to choose from, you can eat it from any make of bowl, and the chocolate factory doesn't make as much money as apple farms. It's like, yes but how on earth is any of that a relevant argument?)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Quite. I'm thoroughly confused how, in a debate about Samsung vs Apple phones, people argue for the latter by saying "But Samsung users have more freedom to move to other makes of phones".

Part - but not all - is driven by a certain AC who is trying to rubbish samsung and android simultaneously.

Remember the majority of the abuse heaped on Samsung is that android has the most malware and apparently most android users say they will consider any handset when they upgrade.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Brand loyalty: Samsung now #1 in the US!

Fanbois better update their anecdotes about being the most loyal customers. They now need to say 3rd most loyal after Samsung and Amazon.

So it seems that people are a bit shyer about proclaiming their lover for Apple.....

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/05/ouch-samsung-beats-out-apple-in-customer-loyalty-for-the-first-time-and-so-does-amazon/#mQE7zes48vWs4Kc0.99

Who mentioned about Apple having 82% loyalty?? Ancient History !!!

3. PrivateCitizen
      Stop

@Original AC

Well, limited sample size it may be, but 100% of the S3 users I know (13 people at work, 3 in my immediate family) intend to consider Samsung droid devices when their existing contracts run out (in around 16 - 22 months).

I went from an iPhone 4 to an S3 and have been fully satisfied. I know of three other people who have done that and only one person who went from an S2 to an iPhone 5.

Let's assume Motorola make the next best phone - Q: would you buy chips, flash and screens from Samsung (a competitor) or someone else? A: Someone else.

Are you saying apple users stick with apple when the phone is not the best, simply because it is apple?

Surprisingly honest if you are. (And, as I have said elsewhere, I have both sets of devices at home).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Original AC

Apple users stick with Apple because either the phones are the best or close enough - plenty of people still buy the older models so it's not just about having the newest shiny. They also value the service and support - I've owned Samsung and found it almost non-existent. They value the better security and usability of the devices (most do not need to re-ROM) and the fact Apple still support old handsets like the 3GS after getting on for 4 years so the lifetime cost is probably lower.

Contrary to the belief that all Apple users are frenzied upgraders I know plenty of people still using a 3GS day-in-day-out and apart from a few features it doesn't support and a few scratches it's still a perfectly good phone. I've seen Android handsets unsupported within a year of purchase and having to get into arguments with carriers about who is responsible etc. Joke.

So - yes - I can perfectly see why 80% of people would almost certainly buy another iPhone.

1. PrivateCitizen

Dear multiposting AC @ 2013 (1 Feb)

Contrary to the belief that all Apple users are frenzied upgraders I know plenty of people still using a 3GS day-in-day-out

Kind of implies that

So - yes - I can perfectly see why 80% of people would almost certainly buy another iPhone.

Means they will buy a new iPhone but not for decades.

Not really the point you wanted to make, was it? Its a shame you are so busy trying to say different arguments, in a dozen different posts, that you are starting to argue with yourself....

Samsung can be successful without Apple being rubbish, people can like Android or Samsung without it making your love affair with iOS "wrong" and vice versa. Get over yourself.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Samsung can be successful without Apple being rubbish, people can like Android or Samsung without it making your love affair with iOS "wrong" and vice versa"

Thumbs up for that!

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

It's exactly the point - their phones last a long time, they are happy to buy a new one so the phones being sold today are to lots of NEW customers not just the frenzied upgraders many people try to claim of Apple users.

I know plenty of people with iPhone 3GS and original iPads, plenty with 4's and iPad 2's - even though they could upgrade some have but many just carry on using the phone.

Apple are building a huge and loyal user base and getting loads of new people - not selling as many raw handsets as Android but I'd imagine the vast majority of 3GS handsets are still in use - either by their original owner or been resold / passed on to a family member.

1. PrivateCitizen
              Stop

@ AC 1430

I know plenty of people with iPhone 3GS and original iPads,

Doesnt bode well for Apple's sales does it? There is a finite market of newcomers which was the thrust of the big rant about Android users supposedly not sticking with Samsung.

Not buying a new release is the same as not sticking with the brand.

I have an iPad and went to an iPad 2 - that was (for me) the end of the line there as nothing else was an improvement, so when new models came out, I migrated to Android.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

If Apple wanted to sell more handsets they could stop supporting their handsets for as long - oh no that's Samsungs trick ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah that's representative - a survey done by a single person who has a S3 themselves of 16 people all composed of people at the same company (Samsung PR perhaps) or in the same family.

Confirmation bias?

1. PrivateCitizen

Yeah that's representative - a survey done by a single person who has a S3 themselves of 16 people all composed of people at the same company (Samsung PR perhaps) or in the same family.

That was my point and clearly stated at the time.

The fact you missed the underling point is probably due to the frothing rage you have against Samsung and Android. Its a shame you need to validate your like of Apple products by attacking everything else.

And no, no one I know works at, or for, Samsung. Most dont work in IT related spheres but about half the S3 users I know do. In my IT-related office, there are more android users than iOS users by about 3:1.

Three years ago this was obviously not the case and it was almost entirely iOS with a smattering of Nokia and Blackberry devices.

However, corporate issued devices are still predominately iOS / Blackberry - it is only people who have to pay out of their own pockets that have gone for Androids.

4. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

This repeated drivel with unsourced assessments about how many Samsung phone owner would or would not buy another phone is:

a) drivel, and unsupportable by actual facts

b) obscures (deliberately) the real question, which is "would you buy another Android phone" (to which the answer is obviously usually "yup") AND "would you buy a Samsung phone _if it turned out that it suited your needs at the time your bought the new phone_", to which, again, the answer is yes.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The facts are in the links. Not arguing iOS vs Android - arguing Samsung vs Apple.

Samsung's position is precarious as someone buying next time has to choose Android first then Samsung - so if that Guardian article is correct and 60% would consider Android and even if half went on to buy Samsung it's only retaining 30% whereas Apple retain over 80%.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Linux

Re: Forced to Innovate? Good!

> "Samsung's position is precarious as someone buying next time has to choose Android first then Samsung."

Good! Make Samsung innovate to keep customers! No wonder Apple is so far behind with their mobile tech. By the way - did your phone get an SD card slot yet? You know - for upgrading the storage without having to buy a whole new phone and get on a whole new 2-year contract?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Wow yes that really makes all the difference a SD card slot. I've had plenty of phones that had one and never got used. I tend to put on the stuff I want - 16-64Gb is not even my whole music library let alone anything else but it's all streamable via iTunes Match. Instead I just sync over what I actually listen to (incase I have no net connection) and certainly do not consider carrying a phone and a load of SD cards as a solution.

My media library is over 3Tb - how many Sd cards is that and how do you organise it / keep it up to date.

Apple do actually do the camera connection kit BTW - it's not internal but you can copy files onto the device.

1. PrivateCitizen

AC @ 0632

Wow yes that really makes all the difference a SD card slot.

Yes it does, for lots of people - it is not just about being able to just download your MP3 collection (but that is a significant factor for some people and its cheaper to buy a 64gb card than go for that option of phone) - its about being able to share file and access resources in more ways.

My media library is over 3Tb - how many Sd cards is that and how do you organise it / keep it up to date.

How long would it take to stream over your data tariff? (assuming it is a totally unmetered one)

Apple do actually do the camera connection kit BTW - it's not internal but you can copy files onto the device.

So, what you mean is, the iPhone is so good that people should pay extra to allow it to do something most Samsungs do out of the box?

Yeah, that makes sense for me - its always good to pay more for things.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Yes SD slot is SO important many non-Apple tablets don't have them either - Nexus 7 perhaps?

The reality is most peoples media libraries are far larger than their phone / tablet memory and even carrying an extra SD card is not going to change that. I have a pretty large library - what I should carry perhaps 20 SD cards - impractical.

2. heyrick Silver badge

"The reality is most peoples media libraries are far larger than their phone / tablet memory and even carrying an extra SD card is not going to change that. I have a pretty large library - what I should carry perhaps 20 SD cards - impractical."

No - you should realise the impracticalities of trying to put everything you possibly can on your phone. My media library, as for many people, spans entire harddiscs. How do I cope? It is simple - my favourite songs go on the phone, plus the new stuff I'm getting into. As for video, is it really practical to believe you might want to watch the extended revised director's cut of Blade Runner on a phone? Or how about the four hour miniseries Bag of Bones that was on C5 recently? Far better to use a phone for transient things that don't require a lot of concentration and can be stopped/resumed at will without destroying the following of the story.

At any rate, there is a core selection that will go on the phone, and the rest does not. Of course, if you have access (SFTP etc) to an on-line server with your content on it, you can always hunt around for <obscure song> if you really really want it, however please consider the amount of fail it would be to use swipey-scrolly to pick one song out of thousands. The API itself isn't designed for entire media libraries.

Learn restraint! You do not need everything you have with you at any given time!

3. PrivateCitizen
                  Stop

Dear AC @ 1549

Are you deliberately missing the point?

Yes SD slot is SO important many non-Apple tablets don't have them either - Nexus 7 perhaps?

The SD card slot is indeed important for many other people who buy tablets that have them, or end up spending extra on ways to get round the missing bit.

My Asus eeepad is still going strong even though it is years old because it has the ability to do the things I need to do.

There is nothing worse than facing a client and realising you cant get files off him or her, or that you cant show your presentation on their screen cos your device doesnt have a suitable monitor output.

The whole point of having different types of devices is that people have different needs. For me a lack of a USB port and SD card renders a portable device useless for anything other than home browsing. Obviously you think differently and thankfully there is a big enough market for manufactures of devices to cater for both our needs. Its a shame you think this is a bad thing.

The reality is most peoples media libraries are far larger than their phone / tablet memory and even carrying an extra SD card is not going to change that. I have a pretty large library - what I should carry perhaps 20 SD cards - impractical.

This is still completely missing the point.

When I buy device X, I might think that 16GB is great and more than I will ever need. However, a while later, I realise I need to load 18GB worth of "sfuff" (apps, maps, documents, photos, music, videos etc) onto it.

With a device that has an SD card slot, I spend a fiver and get a 32gb card to expand it.

With a device that doesnt have a card slot, I spend £400 to replace it.

Yeah, sure you can upload it all to the cloud and access it that way but mobile bandwidth is nowhere near fast enough to compete with the speed of an SD card and if you travel, roaming fees make this impossible.

You may be pleased that you are locked into one set way of using your device, but not everone else is.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

When I go to clients I would take my 15" Macbook Retina - it has Thunderbolt / Displayport out which can pretty much go to anything and HDMI. I can also take an Apple TV and setup wirelessly with little fuss if I needed to.

Oh and of course it has USB and SD slots - my iPad still has decent output options but I would typically use it for different things. Don't think anyone is suggesting an iPad (or Android Pad) could do everything for everyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
                      Anonymous Coward

Oh and the Macbook runs OSX but can also run Windows via bootcamp or as a VM - so I have lots of options. Apart from which I wanted a retina screen and frankly there are were no other alternatives from other makers at the time.

It's not cheap but I use it day in day out and expect to have it for about 3+ years - the last one was in good condition and I got not far off half what I paid for it so I'm happy with that - you may not be - that's why we have choice. Unfortunately many of the commentators on here would refuse to consider an Apple product even if it were better for them... but that's their choice as well.

2. PrivateCitizen
                      Stop

When I go to clients I would take my 15" Macbook Retina - it has Thunderbolt / Displayport out which can pretty much go to anything and HDMI. I can also take an Apple TV and setup wirelessly with little fuss if I needed to.

Good for you. I am sure you dont mind spending that additional outlay and having multiple devices in your car and your bag.

On the other hand, I am looking for a single device that allows me to do all the things I need there and then and ideally remains cost effective.

Spending £500 for something which does the job makes (to me) an awful lot more sense than spending £2000 for three things which, together, deliver the goods.

YMMV.

Don't think anyone is suggesting an iPad (or Android Pad) could do everything for everyone?

Which is the point - and the reason why knee jerk criticism of Android / Samsung / Whoever is pretty pointless.

2. imaginarynumber

"Apple do actually do the camera connection kit BTW - it's not internal but you can copy files onto the device."

Yeah, iWhatevers are so perfect that you HAVE to use the kit. I had the misfortune of trying to get 3 gigs onto an ipad using iTunes. After 6 hours I had managed to transfer two thirds of the images.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

" I had the misfortune of trying to get 3 gigs onto an ipad using iTunes. After 6 hours I had managed to transfer two thirds of the images."

Well family member got a new 64gb iPad (nearly full) - the old one was backed up - restored the new one - took less than an hour to restore the lot. I routinely copy large photo directories and videos to my iPad and certainly takes no-where near that time - transfer rates seem perfectly normal.

1. PrivateCitizen

Well family member got a new 64gb iPad (nearly full) - the old one was backed up - restored the new one - took less than an hour to restore the lot.

Over what type of connection?

64 gigabytes in under 60 minutes means weren't far off Gigabit Ethernet speeds. Normally you would expect 802.11n to take about 6.5 hours to do this without any other issues on the network and by being able to treat it all as a single chunk.

Did you get this over 3g or Wifi? What time of day did you do this?

Was it really under an hour? Unless I have borked the maths (which is always possible) it seems to me that 64gigabytes in an hour is over the maximum theoretical transfer rates for anything other than wired connections and I didnt realise the iPad had an RJ45 port.

Or did you mean over USB?

2. P. Lee

> Samsung's position is precarious as someone buying next time has to choose Android first then Samsung

I doubt that. Samsung got where they are by making decent android phones and there is no particular reason why that shouldn't continue. If "non-precarious" means being able to make vast profits out of rubbish phones, then I'm all for precarious. I was rather struck by the fact that the iphone 5 ads didn't appear to have anything to say.

Sorry, I'm still angry at apple for removing working software from their app store so that my ipod touch can no longer obtain software it used to run on it just fine. I didn't upgrade, so features have been removed.

So while I might get a Nexus over an S3 or an iphone next time, its because I want the best deal. These corporates do not have a relationship with me, I see no reason to pretend I have obligations or loyalty to them. "Fanboi" is a derogatory term for a good reason. Build the best phone (for me definition of "best") and I'll buy it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Wier

Why do you think that people buy (a) an iPhone or (b) an Android phone??? One is the trade name of a device, the other is an operating system. It is a logically ridiculous way of looking at it.

Would you buy an iOS phone or a Samsung next time, sir? An equally bizarre question.

PersonallyI think the Samsung kit is fine, so is the Apple kit. I don't think the OS has too much influence amongst the non-nerd, non-geek fraternity (read: 99% of the customers), this idea is just a method of creating endless crap copy for second rate journalists and analysts.

5. YorksinOaks
      Black Helicopters

</Unoriginal>

I think that the first person to post this should sue you for $1.05 B , unless you're actually the same sad guy trolling this around every forum on the Register.

The fact that Samsung is in global top 3 in Semiconductor, screens, memory, printers, smartphones, tablets, TVs, Blu-Ray players, ships, buildings (Burj Dubai / Khalifa AKA World's tallest building in case you did not know) might tell you that they're no-one's 'kin pawn.

Can you list the original improvements made in 2 years from iP4 through iP4S to iP5? Same look (well, moved to Android Form-Factor) Same connector######### (oops, my bad) Own Maps (Oh, I did say improvement, didn't I) and Siri (is that still in Beta and therefore technically not a feature?).

Other than that, it's all kind of incremental, and a galaxy away from innovation. That's why companies resort to the courts, and since the Judge basically said that in the light of all the prior art, she cannot agree with the juries argument that there was wilful copying. The whole thing will get tossed at appeal, if the USPTO does not review and reject all the patents first (2 down, 4 to go).

Let's see if iP6 has some clever multipic camera application or 360 panorama, or phones the contact on screen when you lift the handset to your ear, a screen as long as your thumb-reach, multiple user profiles, expandable memory and USB OTG or some other innovation.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: </Unoriginal>

This incremental evolution is the same with any phone. Samsung play around with different screen sizes and stick a style on (how retro). I ask - what do people expect? The iPhone has a 20% bigger screen while being 20% thinner, it's got a 'retina' screen so is there really that much point having even more pixels - guess it's like making speakers able to reproduce sounds so high frequency no human can actually hear them.

It's got the fast 3.75G or whatever and LTE - it's got one of the best cameras on a smartphone, it's fast / responsive, you get good support from Apple and the handsets seem to last at least 4 years (3GS still going strong with updates thank you very much). Add in iTunes Match, streaming TV and films you buy from them to your device, great selection of apps, nice add-ons (like Apple TV) - just 'works' very well.

You see you may really want a stylus - some people might like it but for my use a finger does just fine and doesn't get lost.

6. heyrick Silver badge

"<i>Ask Galaxy owners if they would definitely buy a Samsung device next time</i>"

I'd like to try a Samsung, but out of my price range. I looked for the cheapest Android phone that could handle 720p video. I found on. A Sony Xperia U. I didn't want to buy another Sony as I was not thrilled at how in-your-face Facebook was on the Xperia Mini Pro, plus I didn't like some of the firmware stupidity (alarm won't ring if sound disabled) and that "you consent to blah blah" message every time you turn on GPS, not to mention an email client that was easy to confuse (would flag all messages as unread) and didn't have a select-all to make tidying the trash mailbox a flippin' nightmare.

Well... Lovely display, does HD, boots dead quick. Still on Android 2.3.something but is this the fault of Sony or Orange? It's an all-round nice phone. There is still Facebook integration but it doesn't go out of its way to get in the way. Stupid GPS message still there (maybe this is Android?) but the alarm now sounds iwhen the sound is disabled. Nicely too, soft and relaxing to help you wake. Email seems better, and you can select all now. The camera isn't bad given it's an imager stuck in a phone. It is surprisingly good at low-light/night photos where it will give a bright (but noisy) image. Which is better than the two other phones which will barely give any image at all. Minus points for the damn weird shutter button that almost enforces phone shake. The only downside is the hardwired 4Gb memory which seems a little cheap when I can get a 16Gb SD card for €12. But never mind, that and the strange glowing bar aside, I am quite impressed by this phone given the price of it. Especially the really nice display - did I mention that yet? ;-) It's a pleasure to lie in bed watching animé on those nights when I can't seem to get to sleep...

In case you hadn't guessed, I don't really have a brand loyalty so much as a platform loyalty. My next phone (in two years) may or may not be a Sony. It depends on what is available. It will be Android. I have a set of core apps, including the important apks on my computer so I can transfer them over and install them right away. Plus there is the familiarity aspect - I know Android.

So your headline might be better if it read "Ask Android owners if they would definitely buy an Android device next time".

Yes - I would.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "<i>Ask Galaxy owners if they would definitely buy a Samsung device next time</i>"

But you and most people on here are the exception - proven by "I know Android". Most people don't know / care if it's Android - it's just a full screen phone to them.

1. PrivateCitizen
          Stop

Re: "<i>Ask Galaxy owners if they would definitely buy a Samsung device next time</i>"

RE AC @ 2231

But you and most people on here are the exception - proven by "I know Android". Most people don't know / care if it's Android - it's just a full screen phone to them.

I disagree.

All the android device owners I know, know it is android. They know they have a google account and they know that they can use it on any other android device (some even know they can use it on Chromebooks as well).

7. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: Ask Galaxy owners...

Except that Samsung is a major global component supplier. The LGs, the Asuses, the ZTEs, the Oppos, the HTCs, use Samsung's components. Losing Apple as a component customer is not that big a deal. Apple will just go to another component supplier and that supplier is probably using Samsung's components.

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

better comparison, ask an Android owner if they would buy Android again...

Unlike Apple, Android is not a locked down ecosystem, I can choose from many phones for my next phone and not worry about loosing apps Ive purchased etc...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ask an android user if they would buy android again - the answer from the survey was about 60% would (or 40% would not). Now of those that would they then have to make the second decision of will it be a Samsung - would anyone really say today their next phone will definitely be a Samsung when who knows what Sony, Motorola, some as of now unknown to us Chinese company comes up with??

1. PrivateCitizen
          FAIL

Old news

Ask an android user if they would buy android again - the answer from the survey was about 60% would (or 40% would not).

You keep trotting this out, even though it is older than most Android models.

Now of those that would they then have to make the second decision of will it be a Samsung - would anyone really say today their next phone will definitely be a Samsung when who knows what Sony, Motorola, some as of now unknown to us Chinese company comes up with??

Which is still a good thing as it will keep companies pushing hard to produce good stuff.

Are you actually saying that Apple can bring out a shite phone, worse than any other manufacturer, and you would still buy it?

If you think that can never happen, then it is just as reasonable to assume Samsung wont do it.

10. albaleo

disappointing

The sounds like the voice of an ad agency. Clever, funny, cool, and so on. But I don't get the feeling this is a message from Samsung. It's disappointing. Say what you like about Apple, they're not slow to give an opinion or take action to support their 'beliefs'. (sorry, can't think of a better word right now) Apple says it's right to protect their designs and other IP. They persuade media companies to drop the drm on their products that are sold through the iTunes store because they say it helps everybody. Apple has an opinion. I haven't a clue about Samsung.

Some guys from Samsung in Korea saying what they think of Apple would have been much more powerful.

Yeah, I know. It's TV. It's the USA. But still...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: disappointing

Samsung's opinion seems to be whatever Apple are doing. Their hardware is ok but nothing others could not do better - they have no USP and are effectively just passing customers to Google. They make no ongoing revenue and their position could change rapidly. Apple are building the whole lot - they sell you the hardware, the OS and the media and add-ons like Apple TV etc. I'd say Apple's position is a bit more secure than Samsungs?

1. PrivateCitizen
        Stop

RE AC @ 1940

Samsung's opinion seems to be whatever Apple are doing. Their hardware is ok but nothing others could not do better

Nothing about the iPhone 5 is something others couldnt do better, but Apple fans will claim others havent and the same can be said about the S3. Other can produce better, but they havent.

Most other manufacturers would end up using Samsung components when they tried to do better anyway...

I can win the lottery, but I havent.

they have no USP and are effectively just passing customers to Google.

Possibly, but I doubt this is entirely for free and even if it is, it is a risk for the company not the customer.

For customers it is actually a bonus cos if a miracle happens and Samsung goes titsup, all the user has to do is move to HTC (or whoever).

If a miracle happens and Apple goes titsup, iPhone users are stranded.

They make no ongoing revenue and their position could change rapidly. Apple are building the whole lot - they sell you the hardware, the OS and the media and add-ons like Apple TV etc. I'd say Apple's position is a bit more secure than Samsungs?

Only because they trap people into an ecosystem. Its like saying AOL's position is a bit more secure than the Internets.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Except Apple are the ones that moved to remove DRM on music, they let you 'Match' your music in the cloud (whereever you got it from!!) - Kindles are far more locked in than Apple. I can import my own media into iTunes and it's on my iPad.

If being locked in is having access to the largest and safer app store - maybe it's not iUsers being locked in but everyone else being kept out <LOL>.

1. PrivateCitizen
            Stop

Dear AC @ 1553

Except Apple are the ones that moved to remove DRM on music,

After being the ones to use it in the most oppressive manner imaginable first. If it wasnt for the early incarnation of iTunes forcing a DRM'd format on everything I got, I would have had much more access to my OWN music six years ago.

they let you 'Match' your music in the cloud (whereever you got it from!!)

Great if you dont have much music or a magically faster internet connection than most people on the planet. I store all my MP3s on my NAS which streams to any device in the house and allows me to tunnel in when I am on the move.

Much easier than using an iCloud.

Kindles are far more locked in than Apple

I dont get the point here.

If being locked in is having access to the largest and safer app store

It isnt.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"

If being locked in is having access to the largest and safer app store

It isnt.

"

You need to open your eyes to some facts:

http://www.neowin.net/news/android-malware-to-reach-1-million-cases-in-2013

Can you genuinely and accurately claim Android is safer than iOS? Nope.

1. PrivateCitizen
                Stop

Can you genuinely and accurately claim Android is safer than iOS? Nope.

Nope. Where did I claim that?

I said being locked in wasnt the same as having access to the largest and safer app store.

Being locked in is being tied to an ecosystem which means should you become dissatisfied with either the direction the OS is going in, or the quality of the devices manufactured, you find it very hard to migrate to another platform. Pretty much every app you have purchased is lost and depending on how you have stored your data it becomes a pain in the arse to move it over to your new ecosystem.

So, given this, it is understandable that for people looking to take their first footsteps in the new world order, that the open environment of Android is more appealing.

Yes, there is more malware hiding in the android space, but the number of compromises of android devices is not scaling up in line with the doom and gloom predictions.

Maybe it is because 99% of apps in either iOS or Android repositories wont see the light of day so it doesnt matter if they have malware on them or not.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Well, limited sample size it may be, but 100% of the S3 users I know (13 people at work, 3 in my immediate family) intend to consider Samsung droid devices when their existing contracts run out (in around 16 - 22 months)."

Exactly - INTEND TO CONSIDER means squat. 60% would select Android and of those some would buy Samsung but why not Sony but why not HTC but why not Motorola but why not [insert almost anyone].

Android is a race to the bottom for profits as more and more manufacturers enter the already crowded market - it's all good for Google but for the manufacturers??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As more and more Android handset makers are out there the market will get even more fragmented and force prices and margins down and down.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Still desperately flogging you long dead and never coherent "fragmentation" hobby-horse, eh RICHTO? This "fragmentation" of which you speak with such foreboding is a wonderful thing. It's choice! Freedom! Competition!... all good and healthy stuff for the consumer. I'm personally enjoying it immensely. I can see why it'd be a bit of a bummer for Microsoft PR you though. Must feel like you're the kiddyfiddler in the prison shower, being told to crush the soap with your bare hands!.. oops! It's slipped out between your fingers... again!... gonna have to pick it up... again!

2. PrivateCitizen
      WTF?

Woosh

RE AC @ 2024

Exactly - INTEND TO CONSIDER means squat. 60% would select Android and of those some would buy Samsung but why not Sony but why not HTC but why not Motorola but why not [insert almost anyone].

You are missing the point in your crusade to use numbers here.

If Samsung drop the ball and produce a bag of shite handset, then no one will buy it. They are not zombies obsessed with making sure the things they buy all are from the same brand, they are people who want the best device that fits their needs.

This means they will look at the latest Samsung device first. If it sucks, they will go elsewhere. It is the miracle of choice and it is what creates the market forces that drive development.

If people would just buy the next Samsung handset, whatever it was, then the devices would end up being total shite. (Hi Nokia....)

Android isnt a race to the bottom - devices are not getting worse, or less featured - it does, however, keep pressure on the costs which is one of the reasons why Android devices tend to be significantly cheaper than iOS ones (one, not the only).

If you like Apple and think iOS devices are the greatest thing ever, then good for you - there are lots like you - but why do you need to bolster your use of iOS by denigrating Samsung / Android? Are you that insecure about your brand choice?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Woosh

You mean 'when' Samsung drop the ball you will buy another Android handset - that's fine - but it does make Samsungs position more precarious.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

So if the next iPhone is utter rubbish

You'll still buy it anyway?

If Apple roll a turd in glitter and put it in an "iPad N" box, you'd buy that as well?

I doubt it, yet that's your argument here.

1. droolian01

Re: So if the next iPhone is utter rubbish

I'm afraid that most probably would.....

Correction.... I think iP5 owners aleady have!

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

That's a bit like saying that the sun would not rise tomorrow. Apple can pick and choose the best components - why should it not be able to continue to make some of the best phones. iOS is the killer selling point for iPhones and iPads - better security and more / better apps. Developers know this and developers make most of their cash on iDevices so see far less risk.

Look at the malware stats for Android - it's absolutely shocking - that alone would put me off Android.

1. PrivateCitizen
              WTF?

That's a bit like saying that the sun would not rise tomorrow.

So why do you assume Samsung will drop the ball and alienate customers more than Apple will? Apple can pick and choose the best components, but Samsung make most of the best ones anyway.

You are trying to argue two opposing points here - which is a bit strange.

Samsung & Android users in general are a bit more honest in saying that when they change devices, they will go with the one that best suits them at the time.

Apple users (you in a zillion AC guises) seem to say "we are brand loyal" but that this means you will still go with the best device, just that you assume it will automatically be an iShiny.

The fact is when it comes to upgrade time, people will almost always look to the newer version of the thing they have - Nokia relied on this for decades - and only if that is below par will they look elsewhere. Samsung or Apple, iOS or Android.

Brand loyalty is a problem when the customer ignores the mediocre latest release (iPhone 5) and still buys it because its the BRAND they want. However you seem to think that is a good thing.

Look at the malware stats for Android - it's absolutely shocking - that alone would put me off Android.

I thought you were trying to make this about Samsung, not Android in general? Try to be at least a bit consistent.

2. PrivateCitizen

You mean 'when' Samsung drop the ball you will buy another Android handset - that's fine - but it does make Samsungs position more precarious.

As is should be.

Blind fanboi loyalty to crap products is counterproductive for everyone.

If Apple fans were more able to move around, then maybe we would see a return to the groundbreaking improvements of the early iPhones. The difference between a 3GS and a 5 is pretty pitiful.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

3GS to 5 - what do you expect. Is a bigger screen on a Samsung some major GROUNDBREAKING improvement - or a stylus = joke - unless you mean jumping back in time 5+ years.

These are phones - they pack in a huge amount of tech but in reality what are you expecting other than changes in form factor. They have great cameras, super fast CPUs and quite a lot of storage.

It's really got to the point where most has already been done - i.e. if you want more battery life you need a bigger battery - they may make slightly better batteries and slightly more efficient components but if a current phone lasts 1 day - to get say 3 days is going to mean a bigger battery / device.

They have retina screens - see little point in going more. They have LTE - yes you may tinker with the frequencies but until LTE is commonplace it's the best we have.

So with all these phones expect faster CPUs, different sized and shaped screens, high megapixel cameras etc. - expect we might see fingerprint authentication on the next iPhones but what do people expect from a phone?

1. PrivateCitizen
              Thumb Down

Dear AC @ 1602

3GS to 5 - what do you expect.

Something to justify the change.

What you are basically saying here is the same as I have said - the iPhone 3GS was a good enough device for anyone wanting to use an iOS phone and there is no point them ever upgrading again.

I bet that is exactly what Apple want to hear and it is a great way to justify spending a few hundred quid every 12 / 24 months.

2. CarlC

And just to illustrate PrivateCitizen's point:

I got myself an ASUS tablet (running Android) in the middle of last year - it is a great, fast device and it has all the apps I need (from the Google App Store). However, I was lucky enough to get to try a Samsung Note 10.1 table (also Android) and loved the USP of the SPen apps.

So I purchased a Samsung Note 10.1 and took all my apps and data with me in one easy move.

If ASUS make a better (in my opinion) tablet later I may switch back. Not great for ASUS or Samsung unless they commit to improving their devices to give me what I want (and in ASUS's case win me back), but it is excellent for me and for consumers in general

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very funny

Yeah, it's hilarious watching a me-too Korean knock-off company taking the piss out of a company who innovates.

I'm wondering when Reg readers will suddenly change from being Apple-bashers to Samsung-bashers? Microsoft had their time in the spotlight as the whipping boy, now Apple. Is it Samsung's turn next? Or maybe Google?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Very funny

Yeah, it's hilarious watching a me-too Korean knock-off company taking the piss out of a company who innovates.

Who is that then?

What innovations are there in the iPhone 6 or iPad mini?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"What innovations are there in the iPhone 6 ..."

No one outside HW engineering at Apple knows, moron.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So either "none" or the exact same number as there are in the S3, HTC One and so on.

Thanks for the clarification.

2. Van

Apple havn't invented anything, not even the first computer (for which the ran ads having a dig at IBM)

3. droolian01
      FAIL

"Yeah, it's hilarious watching a me-too Korean knock-off company taking the piss out of a company who innovates."

Watch and weep, ifool

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=wFeC25BM9E0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwFeC25BM9E0&gl=GB

Sent from my splendid S3.

13. Mage Silver badge
    FAIL

Title and Post Very funny

Me too knock off?

Apple: Glossy slick products: The list would fit in the Title and ALL are an Apple Gloss on Prior Art. Apple didn't invent GUI. laptop, Solid State Media player, Tablet or Smart phone. They did do them well.

You could fill the limit of the Post with Products that Samsung innovated and invented in every area of Electronics and many Electrical and Mechanical. They are like today what RCA, Motorola, Edison and Westinghouse were in a previous age, all rolled into one. Everything from Diggers to BD players and TVs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Title and Post Very funny

And all at low single digit margins.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Its true - look at Samsungs margins ex-mobile.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Samsung were making decent components for Apple to put together into a great phone - but they got greedy.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is there an English translation for this post?

14. dogged

@diodesign

Hey Chris,

are all these AC's the same person?

1. Notas Badoff
      Unhappy

Re: @diodesign

Since a couple dozen plus plus of these replies all read the same - exactly the same - it has got to be the same person. Being wrong in double digits makes it somehow a _better_ wrong?

Dude, substitute one car manufacturer for Apple and another for Samsung. Reread. If you don't sound obsessively stupid to yourself, then you really shouldn't get involved in discussions regarding the real world.

Can we please have 'avatar' icons for ACs so we can tell when someone's gone off their meds?

2. PrivateCitizen

Re: @diodesign

Hey Chris,

are all these AC's the same person?

It seems likely.

Either that or a lot of people like to post very similar sentences in quick succession rather than make them all one post.....

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung make fridges like many other people, make TVs like many others, make everything like many others - even phones. There is nothing special about their stuff - it's ok but functional and you buy a Samsung today and you may but a Samsung whatever next time but no real compelling reason.

They are happy selling a box today and banking the cash but it's not really long term - they sell an Android phone and pass you on to Google for future revenue.

1. hplasm
      Meh

Your point?

There's nothing special about Apple stuff either- except the price.

1. VinceH
        Trollface

Re: Your point?

Applytes are quite "special", though.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: Your point?

Applytes are quite "special", though.

I used to have an Apple, but it fell in the shitter. I used to feel special. Nowadays I'm just another applostate with an Android phone ... and loving it!

2. Frumious Bandersnatch

Samsung make fridges like many other people, make TVs like many others, make everything like many others - even phones. There is nothing special about their stuff - it's ok but functional and you buy a Samsung today and you may but a Samsung whatever next time but no real compelling reason.

They are happy selling a box today and banking the cash but it's not really long term - they sell an Android phone and pass you on to Google for future revenue.

According to the recent article here Samsung started "in 1938 as a company selling dried fish and vegetables, and moved into electronics in the late 1960s". OK, maybe the dried fish and vegetables were only "functional" and there was no real compelling reason to buy Samsung dried fish and vegetables the next time.

But consider that they're now one of the top companies in Korea (if not the top, judging by the fact that their top man is the richest guy in the country). Do you really think that the sort of business minds that brought the company from such lowly beginnings doesn't have long-term aspirations? Do you really think that they don't care about, eg, their Galaxy range, and that they'll happily "pass you on to Google for future revenue"?

Could you imagine Bill Gates or Steve Jobs having that attitude? Is it even conceivable that Samsung won't do all it can to keep and expand its customer base?

Finally, one non-rhetorical question: is it possible that Apple pays people to pollute discussions like this with drivel like yours? Absolutely.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Do you really think that they don't care about, eg, their Galaxy range, and that they'll happily "pass you on to Google for future revenue"?"

I'd imagine they 'care' but I'd imagine they can do little about it. They are stuck - move away from Android to their own or another platform and it risks their future business but don't do it and they end up YAAM (yet another Android maker) in a market with downward pressure on price and nothing that makes them unique.

They use the galaxy name on everything - galaxy cameras - so much it's meaningless. Galaxy fridge, galaxy microwave?

1. Mystic Megabyte
          Black Helicopters

You do realise that your Apple TV is spying on you?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Google is spying on you. I'd be more worried about Google - a company that essentially makes money by selling access to you (mining your data etc.). They give Android away as they were terrified iPhone would walk away with the market.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Evil Goooooogle

Google is spying on you. I'd be more worried about Google - a company that essentially makes money by selling access to you (mining your data etc.). They give Android away as they were terrified iPhone would walk away with the market.

Do you think your iShiny is protection against google? Google Maps, Gmail built in clients, Google Docs.....

16. Thatbloke

Samsung reputable?

Not sure I'd want to buy anything more complex than a fridge from Samsung or LG. They've bought market share by being cheap and by offering handsets and tablets to the telecoms crowd at low, low prices. Their dominance is all the more sad when you look at the relatively poor performance of more reputable companies like (in terms of customer service and legacy support) MS, HP, RIM and Nokia - all of whom could have made a good play if they'd been quicker to see where the smartphone market was heading.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of professional power tools...

Panasonic, hitachi, bosch, dewalt, makita etc.. all churn out the same products in the same price range to the same market and all enjoy their individual few years as top dog. Fact of the matter is once someone has invested in one standout product they continue with the brand for compatibility's sake only. Release a single product that is a clear winner and you can get a generation of new buyers tied in to your brand... Apple had (maybe still have?) this but it won't last forever - think Nokia, Motorola, Rim - due to inevitable overpricing, stagnation and complacency. Maybe Samsung is ready for their 15 minutes?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Reminds me of professional power tools...

Reckon they are already well past the 10 minute mark as can't really imagine people buying another Samsung when their contracts are up in 18-24 months. Things could change very quickly for Samsung as now 'mobile' are their own large customer for many divisions and they have no ongoing revenue opportunity. Google do not want any one manufacturer to be too dominant and they will want to cash in on their own brand - Motorola.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

can't really imagine people buying another Samsung when their contracts are up in 18-24 months.

Your lack of imagination is the problem not reality.

Large numbers of people went from the S2 to the S3.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Large numbers of people went from the S2 to the S3."

No one is denying that - the issue is that will only happen if the S3 is the best / equivalently prices Android handset - if Motorola had the best Android handset at that price the S3 sales would have suffered.

This is GOOD for Android users - the issue I was making is that it's BAD for Samsung - they have nothing unique or special about their handsets and therefore much less loyalty.

Apple in one way forces loyalty in that they are the only maker of iOS devices but it's whether that bothers you but they also generate loyalty in having beautifully designed devices, devices that are typically more secure, perform well, reward developers (more) and with overall better service and support.

I'm not going to win over and die hard Android users (and that's not the point) - it's just to show that Samsungs position is more precarious than Apple's. Apple could come out with a cheaper phone or different screen sizes - it's an option for them - they did it with the iPad - the '5' was a fairly minor change but we could see a iPhablet - but you are still an Apple customer.

To me the risk to Apple is by not offering more choice - i.e. someone may really want a phablet so ends up buying a Note 2 etc.

1. PrivateCitizen

@AC 0741

Isnt this the whole point of most of the objections about Apple's ecosystem?

I agree that Samsung have to work bloody hard to keep sales, but the alternative is a bad thing for everyone (including Samsung in the long term).

All Apple releases have been pretty minor for years now (iPad 2 and iPhone 3GS were the biggies IMHO, others may well think differently) and this is largely because they have a loyal customer base which removes their drive to really innovate.

You may think this is good for the company but it isn't. It opens up the possibility that a new player can appear and suddenly shift lots of products in a way Apple havent anticipated (and I am not necessarily saying Samsung - or anyone - has done this yet) and if Apple is unable to innovate quickly enough it suffers (again, say Hi to Nokia).

Over the last three years, Apple has gone from being an uncontested leader in the smartphone and tablet space to actually following the direction taken by other companies (iPad mini for example). This does not spell doom and gloom for Apple but it shows what happens when a company relies on customer loyalty.

It is much better for the market, for the industry, for customers, for everything even, if manufacturers are forced to keep producing good stuff if they want to retain customers.

At a fundamental level, there is as much unique and special about the S3 as there is an iPhone 5. There are apps to do the same things (frequently the same apps) on both Android and iOS - gmail and google docs works on both... - for the average user Android is secure enough for their activities (even the US Government has a hardened version of android for the ultra paranoid).

This more or less leaves the "Beauty" of the design and the price. There is no point me arguing over which is nicer looking between the S3 and iPhone5 as it is very much a personal choice, but the lawsuits seem to imply they are similar now.

So its down to price. Apple would be actually insane to try and compete on price because it's main selling point is the "prestige" value where is allows the owner to show the world how rich s/he is. This is a bit diluted by the fact it seems like world + dog at the benefit office seems to have an iPhone, but it is still the strongest aspect to the Apple brand.

18. croc

How to tell if an ad was worth the money spent...

Watch the ad. Ten minutes later, see if you can remember the ad. Now see if you can remember who the ad was for.

1. Doogie1

Re: How to tell if an ad was worth the money spent...

Not sure I agree with that. I remember the Go Compare adverts but they don't make me want to use them. I don't agree with mindless brand loyalty so selling a brand doesn't work for me either. The barista advert was very clever but this doesn't come close.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

When I hear 'Samsung' I just think of pretty average 'white goods' and 'Galaxy' makes me think of chocolate - this ad does not change that.

I have a Samsung fridge - it works but if it needed replacing I would not necessarily buy another Samsung. My iPad on the other hand - I've tried various other tablets but still prefer it - just works, reliable, Apple support is great - Samsung support on a phone I had stunk. That's all I have to compare it with.

How many Samsung phone / tablet owners reading this could genuinely say YES I would definitely buy another Samsung next time? That's not a 'would you buy Android' it's would you definitely buy Samsung. I actually think Motorola is a better make and if there were two equivalent tablets from Samsung and Motorola I'd buy Motorola.

1. PrivateCitizen
          Stop

Apple support is great

What did you have to ring them for if the device is reliable and just works?

How many Samsung phone / tablet owners reading this could genuinely say YES I would definitely buy another Samsung next time?

It is a misleading question based on your flitting between Android and Samsung in an effort to spread confusion.

Every Samsung phone user I knows likes it and will give Samsung first shot at a future upgrade. If something amazing happens and Samsung brings out a dog, they will either skip the upgrade or change brands.

Do you think Apple owners are so sheep like they will upgrade to a crap device just to stay with Apple or do you think they will do the same?

The S2 was a better phone than the iPhone 3GS (the last iOS phone I had) by an order of magnitude and the Asus eeepad is a better tablet than the iPad 1 or 2.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Apple support is great

What did you have to ring them for if the device is reliable and just works?"

If you sell enough you will get some problems / faults. Here is an example - I dropped my iPhone from head height onto block paving - was expect the screen to be cracked or something - no. Slight chip in the edge and seems the camera got slightly dislodged.

Booked an appointment with Apple - went to the store - walked out 20 minutes later with a new camera fitted. That is good service.

Friend has a Samsung - it developed a fault and kept rebooting randomly but many times per day. Did all the updates etc. - called Samsung - after several calls and well over an hour wasted on the phone they reluctantly agreed to have it back for repair. He sent it back - bye bye for 3 weeks = not happy. Then they sent him back a refurb = even less happy. That is poor service.

If they were going to refurb it anyway they could at least have turned it around quicker!

1. PrivateCitizen
              Stop

If you sell enough you will get some problems / faults.

No one is disputing that.

Friend has a Samsung - it developed a fault and kept rebooting randomly but many times per day.

A friend of mine had an S3 which developed camera problems - it was refusing to take pictures. He had a short call with Samsung tech support and picked up a new phone the next day. All docs, data and apps were sync'd over seamlessly.

YMMV.

19. croc
    Paris Hilton

Apple owner? Sucks to be you....

Having all your friends laugh at you for your screwed-up maps, your lack-of-bonkiness... Even worse, you'll have to spend big time bikkies to once again be part of the new hipster group.

But you had your day in the sun, eh? Struttin' your stuff, waving that fruit bar all over everyone's face. Maybe you should grow a mullet... Yeah, that's the ticket!

<-- 'Cause she knows the price of becoming outmoded...

1. Doogie1
      Joke

Re: Apple owner? Sucks to be you....

Is that just Apple owners or owners of all fruits?

You sound quite grumpy. Have you had someone "wave their fruit bar all over your face".

20. Corinne

Am I the only person..

... who didn't immediately think of all the Apple/Samsung arguments, but instead remembered the clamp down in the run up to the Olympics of any use of the word "Olympic" by any shops in the area?

1. danny_0x98

Re: Am I the only person..

I didn't think of it because I'm here in Los Angeles, but that is exactly similar to what the NFL does regarding their game.

Which reminds me, the attorney supposedly doesn't know who might sue them when the owners of the trade mark, the only ones whose ip rights could be infringed, is well known. Could Samsung's real attorneys have told its real ad agency that suggesting the NFL is very thorough in enforcing its trade marks possibly defamatory? Or, is the (US) football league's name also a trade mark and out of bounds?

1. Daniel B.

Theres a Cracked article on "stupid things you can't believe are copyrighted" and they mention exactly this thing. I doubt they could be sued for defamation. Even if they could do it, doing so would actually bring the issue to the Streissand Effect.

2. Simon Harris

remembered the clamp down in the run up to the Olympics

Was just about to make the same point, but you beat me to it!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The battle may be Apple vs Samsung today but the war is Apple vs Google. Samsung are just one of many Android makers.

22. 404
    Pint

I like it -> decent commercial

Used the proper actors for the subject too - current flavors of the month in Hollywood.

All this iPhone v Samsung... sigh, no one thought Nokia/Motorola/RIM would ever falter either so give them time, nothing is forever. A few thoughts that will get some downvotes, I'm sure. I've never liked Apple or Steve Jobs, the superior attitude oozing off him has always put me in screw-you mode, if you know what I mean. I've always thought the MacOS clones should have been allowed to prosper and Apple might have never went through the years in the desert. Also have a scummy acquaintance(42) who has the latest iPhone to help attract little college girls at the bars but that's neither here nor there. Note quite the few grandma's with iPhones. Don't like the cradle to grave safe island hand-holding non-transferable money-pit either.

Enough rambling.. I've been through Nokia->Nokia->Nokia->Motorola->Motorola->Blackberry Storm2->Blackberry Torch(fail)->HTC Hero(fail)->Motorola ICS Razr-> and now looking to go back to Blackberry just for the secure messaging and the ability to run my own BES.

Fire Away!*

;)

*not sure if bad attitude lately or what but seems everybody's downvotes are multiplying rapidly :)

1. AlbertH
      Mushroom

Re: I like it -> decent commercial

looking to go back to Blackberry just for the secure messaging

You'd better look elsewhere - BB is in NO WAY "secure"!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I like it -> decent commercial

Secure messaging - what's wrong with any of the standard protocols over a high level SSL encryption or better yet SSL over a VPN? BB cannot really claim 'secure' any more.

23. Lord Zedd
    FAIL

How, exactly, are they mocking Apple in any way?

They are actually mocking themselves; trying to figure a way to make their product copy somebody elses as close as possible without directly violating copyright/trademark laws or paying for the right to use the name or likeness.

That immoral business practice cost them $1b last time.....

24. Daniel B.

Fun fact

The "El Plato Supreme" ad might be even biting on something that is true: NFL does troll over its rights to SuperBowl. If say, Domino's offers a special SuperBowl discount package ... they can't say it's the "Super Bowl package" but they have to say something like "The Big Game Package".

25. johnwerneken

Darn You El Reg

Now I might actually have to watch that game. Have no TV and several folks who know that have urged me to watch it on their over-sized TVs. Now maybe I'll be willing to, to see Apple get poked.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Darn You El Reg

Or just watch the YouTube clip its not really worth it though...

26. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

The real question is...

...do they run this ad in Spanish-speaking markets?

1. fandom

Re: The real question is...

No point, we like real football here, not the kind that gets played with the hands.

Well, actually I don't, but most people do.

27. AlbertH
    WTF?

Nonsense

Ask Galaxy owners if they would definitely buy a Samsung device next time - probably 10-20% would

Errr.... No. Recent market research showed that the numbers were exactly the obverse of your claim. The conversion rate of ex-Apple users to Android products is scaring Apple. There's nothing they can do to stop the loss of userbase.

When Galaxy S3 users were asked if they would exchange their phones for a free iPhone 5, NONE of them would.

Practically - the iPhone is incapable of 4G operation, has abysmally poor radio performance (calls are frequently dropped, cell sites are frequently unreachable, wireless network connection is unreliable), is really easy to break (failing switches, cracking screens), have poor battery life (most users have to recharge twice each day), and the software is simply flaky and poorly designed.

The Android eco-system has developed very quickly. Android 4 is faster, more stable and has a wider range of quality software than iOS, and most of it is free! Apple haven't got a product that can compete...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nonsense

Sounds like Samsung PR. Yet Apple have retaken the number 1 spot in the US - someone somewhere is fibbin'

Of course if you ask someone who just wasted £400 on a Samsung would you change to iPhone they would say no - it's like admitting you were wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Does sound like steaming BS to me. One survey says 84% of Apple users would buy Apple again - so it probably stands to reason the 16% that would not have to buy something else - so yes some of those 16% would buy Android. However, since the figure quoted for Android users was 60% equally there must be some that are switching to iPhone.

Two sides to every story.

Apple sales are well up, number 1 in the US and they make ongoing revenue - can't imagine Apple are too scared. If I were Samsung I would be more scared of Google (owning Motorola) or any one of the equally good other Android makers with an eye to their market.

1. PrivateCitizen
          FAIL

Does sound like steaming BS to me.

Any reason why this didnt go into the first post? They are only a couple of minutes apart and a lot of that will have been typing time, so its not as if you did hours of research here.

One survey says 84% of Apple users would buy Apple again

One old survey remember.

2. PrivateCitizen
        Stop

Sounds like Samsung PR

Android, not Samsung.

Of course if you ask someone who just wasted £400 on a Samsung would you change to iPhone they would say no - it's like admitting you were wrong.

Yet you also claimed hordes of people were returning their Android devices - which is exactly like admitting you were wrong. Getting a freebie swap to the more expensive device is a certain win if you really dont like the droid.

28. This post has been deleted by its author

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung have to try and push their BRAND as ultimately that's all they have that is unique. Anyone else could come up with an equally good, better and / or cheaper Android phone. Google played this well - get all the manufacturers to push the products out and buy Motorola as a threat to keep them in line.

Nokia have kept out as they probably realise it's ultimately no / low margin with no many people competing and so little to differentiate - WinPho is a big bet for them though against iOS and Android.

1. PrivateCitizen

re AC @ 1555 GMT

Samsung have to try and push their BRAND as ultimately that's all they have that is unique.

Well , ultimately that is what most companies have that is unique. Its why branding (and brand loyalty) is important to companies.

Anyone else could come up with an equally good, better and / or cheaper Android phone.

ACs (you?) have said this a few times. Yes it is true and it is what is good about the market and forces Samsung to keep trying hard. Go back an re-read the previous replies if you have forgotten what people said last time.

Anyone else could come up with an equally good or better handset but so far they havent. There are cheaper ones but at the moment Samsung seems to have hit the sweet spot of setting the price at a point at which people are willing to pay for the goodies.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When Apple Met Samsung

Soon to be a major motion picture.

"I'll have what she's having."

"Waiter, is that a mistake? A billion dollars for fruit cake?"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: When Apple Met Samsung

Is this the one where Apple left Samsung after Samsung did the dirty on them. Initially Samsung was ok - sold devices to a lot of people but eventually those people went elsewhere and Samsung were left having lost them and Apple.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: When Apple Met Samsung

"Apple left Samsung after Samsung did the dirty on them."

Yeah, but that ending's too sad. In the Q&A after the screenings, the IT Crowd wanted a happy ending. What about you?

What about a merger between Apple and Samsung? Appsung! (Sample?)

Corporate offices in Havana. Sweetheart deal from the Castro Freres. No taxes. Ever.

The other device makers go out of business.

Lots of high fives and cat stroking.

31. DerekCurrie
    FAIL

Samsung as juvenile and parasitic as ever

It's amusing to watch Samsung pull off their own mask and show the world their juvenile and parasitic nature. This is a self-destructive company and we get to watch the self-induced carnage. I'd hide my eyes if it wasn't simple justice.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm fed up of Samsung actually think Apple have a case don't think I'll buy a Samsung fridge, telly or microwave next time. Not saying I would buy Apple only but there is nothing special about Samsung that Sony or anyone else could not do next.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm fed up of Samsung actually think Apple have a case don't think I'll buy a Samsung fridge, telly or microwave next time. Not saying I would buy Apple only but there is nothing special about Samsung that Sony or anyone else could not do next.

It would worry Samsung a bit more if you werent one person posting the same refuse to buy message a dozen times.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The latest Sony devices look, feel and work great. The coming tablet looks awesome!

So, I managed to say something +1 about an android device and +1 about Sony.

This should send the Fandoid Sony haters into an intellectual melt down.

1. PrivateCitizen
        Stop

Androids

The latest Sony devices look, feel and work great. The coming tablet looks awesome!

Excellent - see the open market works for everyone's benefits. If Sony do manage to pull off a superb device at an equivalent price point, then well done for them and Samsung's business will suffer.

This is the "good" thing about free market capitalism. Companies try to encourage brand loyalty because that is what allows them to sell rubbish to customers who still keep ranting about it being the greatest thing ever (until the next one comes out and fixes all the previous faults because until the new one does it they arent faults).

Realistically, if Apple could produce a decent enough tablet which did the things I want a tablet to do, at a reasonable price, I would buy it. So far, they haven't and my old iPads are gathering dust now.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung found a way to have an ongoing revenue stream at last - selling replacement styli.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like