back to article Nokia tries its luck with a sub-£150 Win Phone 8: The Lumia 620

Nokia’s latest budget smartphone brings the price of admission to Windows Phone 8 below the £150 mark. From today O2 will sell the Lumia 620 at £149.99 on pay-as-you-go, a bargain considering what’s inside. The network will also chuck in an additional free colour cover. Other operators will also offer the 620: Three and Virgin …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I'll take 10 of them.

and pocket a cool £1500 and then throw them in the bin....

Oh, you mean they aren't paying me £150 each to take them??? Damn, there goes my plan....

1. Shagbag

No one is buying them

If O2 is knocking them out at £149.99 then they can't be moving off their shelves. I'd better wait some more - it's like PriceDropTV :-D

2. K
      Thumb Up

Re: I'll take 10 of them.

Barry, you have obviously pissed somebody off so much that they have created 28 (and counting) fake accounts just to vote you down!

Barry, I salute you. Keep up the good work :D

1. hplasm
        Happy

Re: I'll take 10 of them.

So now there are 28 happy Win8 users? Who knew!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One question

Can it send contacts via Bluetooth ? Coz WP 7/7.5 can't.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One question

There's Contact Share and Bluetooth Share apps on WP7.

The 620 is a WP8 device which can use NFC as well. Or use a QR code generation app and scan that on the other phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sorry - I call bollocks.

Yes, there's contact share - via *SMS* or *email*. As for "Bluetooth share" WTF is that ???? You made it up.

From the horses mouth.

Now my Nokia 3210 could send a contact via BT. My wife's android can. But if I want to send her a contact from my phone ?

It may be a little-used feature. But when it's available it's very, very handy. And it says a lot about MS arrogance that they felt they could try and move forwards without it.

Just out of curiosity, does the iPhone let you send contacts via BT ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Sorry - I call bollocks.

"Just out of curiosity, does the iPhone let you send contacts via BT ?"

No

2. dogged

AC, you're asking the wrong horse. Nobody said it was a WP feature. Just a Nokia feature, since 7.0.

see for yourself.

3. ZillaOfManilla

Can you send anything via BT on an iPhone, other than audio to headphones or speakers? I know you can get bump or whatever it is called but can the OS do it without apps?

2. David Webb

I have an app on my Lumia (called Contacts Transfer) that does what it's called, via bluetooth, I think the reason you can't do it like you normally would (select contact, click "send") is because the contacts are from your social networks and email contact lists rather than how they would previously be stored as a vcard on the phone. Does make backing up your contacts pretty easy however........

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
        Unhappy

I'm sure I read the reason you couldn't is because MS didn't implement the required part of the BT stack ? Also why you can't transfer files over BT.

I can't speak for others, but a few times I've found it useful to be able to BT a picture or MP3 to someone in the same room without using email, or MMS (which can cost). Also BT to BT is *way* more secure depending what you're sending.

3. cambsukguy

The 7.8 update adds that, at least on Nokia's.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

...just another reason WP is shite ...

I just tried to google to see if this new feature is a 7.8 one, or Nokia (given that "Bluetooth Share" is a Nokia-specific app), and could find nothing to tell me if it'll help my HTC Trophy. Documentation is woeful.

I thought one of the sine-non-qua about WP was it mandated a minimum hardware spec ?

Anyway, still no reason for me to ever buy, or recommend WP to anyone.

4. Fuzz

My Ativ S can send contacts via bluetooth or NFC, I can't remember if that option was there on my mozart because I can't remember the last time I wanted to send a contact via bluetooth.

1. send contact

2. searching for bluetooth

3. not found

4. tell friend to check they are discoverable

5. go to start

3. qwarty

Good value, not a bad spec, it can't be long before there are good phones sub-£100 PAYG opens up a whole new market of people who would never go for a £35/month contract or pay £400 up front for a smartphone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

These aren't just for the student/kid PAYG crowd, there are probably more potential smartphone customers in India and emerging markets than in the UK/EU/US.

2. bunual
      Thumb Up

I bought my smartphone 2 years ago for £100 on PAYG which had a 480x800 screen. Got the unlock code from the operator, rooted it and put on a newer version of Android. I'm still using it now and because I only use it occasionally, it'll do a weekend without charging. So many smartphones are aimed at the £400 mark that they forget there are others who'd like some of the benefits but are willing to skip the very latest hardware to get a decent price.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Beautiful, goes well with the colours on my collection of Durex lube

1. Simon Harris

... and if you lick the covers you'll find they have the same flavours as the fruity condoms.

5. Zola

How much RAM?

Hopefully more than the 256MB in their other lowcost WP7.5 device, the Lumia 610, which couldn't run popular apps because it didn't have enough RAM. Most outfits would learn their lesson and ship more RAM in future, but this is Nokia, so probably not.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How much RAM?

It has 512Mb, no powerhouse but what made you FUD 256Mb when you had no clue whatsoever.

1. Zola

but what made you FUD 256Mb when you had no clue whatsoever.

Because that's what the last "low cost" WP7 device had, half the memory allocation of it's more capable brethren.

1. SoftFox
          WTF?

Yes, but before people post stuff on forums such as this don't they do any research first or just bang away a post in two secs...?

1. Zola

Yes, but before people post stuff on forums such as this don't they do any research first or just bang away a post in two secs...?

Couldn't be arsed to waste time on research, it's a Lumia for gawds sake. It was easier to ask the question.

2. dogged

512, apparently. The reviews indicate that this is plenty.

6. Flocke Kroes Silver badge
    Joke

Don't forget the jury foreman

Apple's most dangerous patents:

1) Glass to the edge of the device - not quite as the back cover curves up to the front.

2) Four columns of icons - only three in the pictures.

3) The colour black - black background and border - oops.

Only one of the three infringed, but I am sure Apple can find a jury foreman that can convince the others three is approximately four and they should award punitive damages for all the patents anyway even if they are not infringed. If we say $50 per device per patent and triple damages for willful infringement, I make the total fine about $4931.12 - assuming that they sell all 6 and 3=4.

7. Khaptain Silver badge

Next week in the headlines

Headline : Nokia are now "paying" people to take "any" of their Win8 phones.

Headline : Microsoft annonces an "unbelievable " amount of Win8 have now shifted ( Obviously exact figures will not be provided).

Headline : Dell annonces that in collaboration with Microsoft and Nokia, 3 free Win8 phones will be included in the purchase of any Dell computer.

Headline : Microsoft annonces yet another increase in amount of Win8 that have now shifted ( Obviously exact figures will not be provided).

Headline : Elop publically flogged by unknown chair wielding, ape like figure with alopecia.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Annonces

I can normally resist my grammar nazi tendencies, but this is such an unfortunate error, and three times in one email...?

Please replace with announces.

I'm going to lie down now

1. Khaptain Silver badge
        Headmaster

Re: Annonces

Ooopps, my daily language is French and unfortunately "annonce" is correct in "french*.......

Must remember to "write" in English.....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A bargain

Yeah right! I couldn't give a shit if they were 10p each the OS is complete rubbish! (I've not used it but been told)

1. The FunkeyGibbon
      Mushroom

Re: A bargain

You're a prick. I've not met you but I've been told...

2. Callam McMillan
      Trollface

"(I've not used it but been told)"

Becuase people who go on about how great/crap a product is never have a hidden agenda?

Would I buy one of these for myself? No. I love my Galaxy Note with Cyanogen on it too much. Would I buy one of these phones for my wife? Possibly, as all she wants is a phone that makes calls, does texts and runs skype.

1. Manu T

There are other and better phones that make calls, do texts and run skype.

And YES, I have bought, used and burned a WP device. I had a horrible Lumia 800 which causes me so much grief that I started a boycot campaign against Nokia, the retailer and the repair-agent. I made a complete loss on it not to mention that the walled garden OS is so incompetent that even the most trivial things are a pain in the ass (just TRY adding a ringtone...AARRGGH)

So for me NO MORE Lumia's EVER AGAIN! Symbian is much better IMHO. And that too can make calls, do text and run skype.

Cheers

1. MIc
          Trollface

@Manu: How did the boycott go?

2. veti Silver badge
          Happy

@Manu T:

Nokia was the company that invented downloadable ringtones in the first place. If they've recanted on that, I for one will be flocking back to them.

Ob. XKCD.

3. Dave 15

I've been told that people that believe stuff they are told but never test the theory end up looking like complete morons....

I think you've just proved that for me, many thanks

9. Jess

7.x?

£150 for an obsolete system?

£100 for a second hand N8, save £50 and get an obsolete system which still has enough users to ensure decent support for a couple more years.

1. Callam McMillan

Re: 7.x?

No, this phone is WP8, but they have also released a 7.8 upgrade to older models.

1. hplasm
        Meh

Re: No, this phone is WP8

So still £150 for an obsolete system

1. MIc
          Thumb Down

Re: No, this phone is WP8

@hplasm

how is it obsolete? How did you measure obsolescence?

1. hplasm
            Angel

Re: how is it obsolete?

I like this definition, it seems apt:-

Obsolete: imperfectly developed or rudimentary in comparison with the corresponding character in other individuals.

2. dogged
      Facepalm

Oh Jess, I know your torch is burning brightly for Symbian but do read the article before posting.

It runs WP8.

1. Jemma

Gotta go with Jess here.. The fact that its windows 8 makes not the slightest. A newer featureless crippled wasteland is still a featureless crippled wasteland. Course you could go buy a 2008 touch pro/diamond for £35, flash it and install hostsUI, it'll even overclock.. All the fun of the tiles, none of the Ballmerhorrea.

Or indeed you could get a belle based phone, a smartphone -as opposed to the one all new WP 'special'phone category.

Windows Phone 8 - does about half what it says on everyone else's tins...

Symbian must be spinning in its grave... What is this I see before me? An S3 rom for beagleboard...?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You clearly havnt used WP8 - It is much better and faster than Android / IOS. And over 160K apps now.

2. MIc
          Thumb Down

@jemna

How is it a featureless wasteland?

What does it say it can do and does not?

So much bad info out there.

1. Jemma

Simply compare Lumia specs to anything running symbian belle and my point she is made. Compared to Symbian, which itself came from EPOC, not-win-mo is a joke for a power user, and not-win-nt is barely better. Tv-out, winmo could do, symbian does, windows phone.. Ooh look, no go. Decent integrated 1998 grade bluetooth integration, oh failed again. USB-OTG even android can manage, WP? Nope more chance of getting a saddleback to 20,000 feet.

The most telling thing? That it all runs perfectly well on a single core processor running at less than half the speed of the quad cores needed to stop Android syrup syndrome. Not to mention inbuilt proper multitask and secure app features. Should I go on?

WP7 was based on the same CE core as Windows mobile which dates from the mid late 90s, WP8 on an NT core from the same era. Oooh look at my shiny new OS... Oh wait, is that a BSOD I see before me?

The depressing thing is that Symbian has suffered from the run to mediocrity that has happened due to IOS and 'droid. It is harder to program for because the people who developed it thought there should be some resiliance in there. The other approach is the 'hail and well met, script kiddies' one, and we know were that has gotten android, FCs, malignancy, and shutdowns galore. When Alexander the Great got to the sea it is said that he cried since there was nothing left to conquer, 10 minutes with Android programmers and he'd have thrown himself in, or gone totally postal. Mediocrity is not something to aspire to (although you wouldnt know it for looking).

2. Jess

Whoop, yes I read it too quickly.

However, odds are my point about a second hand N8 not being totally obsolete before it may easy still turn out true, given Microsoft's previous history with mobile platforms.

10. JDX Gold badge

Bargain

The 610 I got for £160 last year (it's a bit slow but otherwise decent). This is powerful enough to run the more demanding NT kernel and costs even less?

If it runs WP8 OK this is a seriously good deal, but that would be my main concern. Did they mention if it has SD support?

1. Pie
      Thumb Up

Re: Bargain

It has micro sd support up to 64Gb.

My lumia 710, cost £90 and it's been a good phone, this price point looks like it is as aggressive as that. Hopefully it will drop a bit more soon and I may pick one up.

2. Eddy Ito
      Thumb Up

Yes SD cards up to 64 GB according to this page.

3. dogged

Did they mention if it has SD support?

It does, according to o2.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

non western markets

only way it's going to appeal to those markets is with multi sim support....

12. ukgnome
    Thumb Up

Not Bad

the OS is quite good on a phone, and hopefully they have Nokia's build quality.

I reckon they might flog a few of these to the people that usually buy a cheap droid.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

The dreaded Windows Hate

Actually looks quite decent on a phone.

But no. I'm just never going MS ever again.

14. Alan Denman

A 3.8" odley world phone

Obviously it competes against other small phones.

As the cash rich trinket buyers have all been signed up by an iOther, this one is cheap

15. Fuzz

get it down to £100

Get this down to £100 and they'll sell loads, £150 is still a tiny bit too steep.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another question

Does it let you reset the lock screen picture ? I discovered to my cost, that once you set this, it's impossible to clear it. You can set it to a standard theme. But you can't remove it.

Seriously.

17. john devoy

Not so bad

There seems to be a lot of WP hate here but my lumia920 pisses all over my iphone4 for signal quality in calls/3g and wifi.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not so bad

And the 920 has a better camera, better maps, better Nav, a faster OS, better microphones, a better screen with higher refresh rate, better contrast and a more advanced touch panel....

2. MIc
      Thumb Up

I agree. the 920 has a lot of good stuff

3. MIc

Not to mention screen specs, wireless charging, NFC, camera, OS.

What I don't get is why in reviews it is never mentioned how it takes less time to do everyday tasks in WP than in android or iOS. Reviews are always just a feature set comparison. the Smoked by windows phone series seems to be a pretty good indication that the things you do most are easier on WP.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'Smoked by windows phone'? Wasn't that Ben the PC guy, an official astroturfer shill for Microsoft?

'Official astroturfer shill' may be too harsh a term... you may also call him a 'tech evangelist'. They mean the same thing.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1/4 of the price of my sister's iphone, would do everything she uses and she is closer to the average buyer than most people here.

19. Graham Jordan

How shit does this look?

Long time Nokia fan. 402 right up to the N95 (horrible machine) and out of love for the brand I have the Lumia 800.

Seems they want to fail by producing hideous looking devices built for 7 year olds.

The next batch better be a piece of art or I'm off this train.

20. andy gibson

The new "Microsoft way"

Try as they might, nothing Microsoft does is encouraging me to give their devices a try.

They use awful irritating tunes in their TV adverts (The Lenka video and song is just too abstract for me), and the non musical ones use "celebs" like James Corden and Holly Willoughby.

Work colleagues who own Windows phones try and convince me that I'll "soon get used to the interface over time", and the lack of apps will soon change.

Sorry, but that's not a chance I'm willing to take when there's a brilliant, easy to use interface and app store already out there on the 'droids, and their phones are great value - such as the Orange Intel San Diego I bought last week for £70 from the Orange store (20% public sector discount and rest from my phone fund).

1. imaginarynumber

Re: The new "Microsoft way"

"They use awful irritating tunes in their TV adverts (The Lenka video and song is just too abstract for me), "

Erm... I purchased the Lenka CD after seeing the W8 adverts. Mind you i haven't upgraded to W8 yet, I would happily but not all the drivers exist for for Vaio yet.

WRT the interface, IMO Android, iOS, WP, hell even WM are pretty easy to use. App count- largely a meaningless pissing contest but yes it is true that devs are likely to focus on android and iOS first. That said as a WP user I don't lament the fact that I cant download the latest crap being hyped via social networking sites by people that are so technologically challenged that tying their shoelaces presents an issue.

As an aside, it amazes me that so little has changed since WM2003. I used to upgrade handsets regularly as a result of hardware improvements, the processors were slow, the ram expensive/volatile. Early 2007 (pre iphone) I had a 5" screen. GPS, blah, blah blah.

What can i do now on my phone that I couldn't do back then? Very little and in some respects less. The only thing has really changed is the rise of the phone fanboi...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The new "Microsoft way"

Android is very unstable, buggy and laggy compared to Windows Phone though. Windows Phone just works.

Chances are you will have to install a custom ROM and spend hours tweaking things to get a similar level of use out of an Android handset.

21. Sutton Stourmead
    Meh

WP 7 and WP 8 bashers

Looks nice - not sure it will be enough to compete seriously against the big guns in the market but it will make lots of owners very happy, and will certainly appeal with it's 'world around your contacts' ethos. side by side, i think virgin users looking for something premium-ish now dropping into their pricerange would 'get' it easier than an iPhone. I think thats the strength this new phone will play to.

now, WP 7 and 8 bashers...Grrr shame on you!

I got my Lumia 800 on pretty much first day release in Autumn 2011.

It was an 18 month Contract and was a Premium phone back then - by the time the 7.8 firmware upgrade breaks cover, I'll be just weeks away from a stanard renewal-upgrade to something else. I dont feel abandoned by Nokia in this regard as I paid my money and made my choice and deeep down I know phones are ultimately disposable. Likewise I wouldnt expect Ford to come and update my car engine mapping in 18 months time, and I'm ok with that. I've lived with this phone and seen all it's good and bad sides.

As such I feel entitled to opine on this handset and OS.

What i dont understand though is people who have clearly never owned a WP 7 or 8 device slagging the platform and hardware off so unreservedley.

If you've got one, 90% likely you had to take it on contract and yes, if that was recent, i can understand frustration at being lumbered with an OS which looks really similar to 18 months ago , but then you did choose buy it when there's plenty f choice on the market so it's a moot point.

I doubt there's many people at the moment who are so loaded they can buy one on a whim to try out, kept it for a month then sell it on because they couldnt live with it...

So if you are going to criticise, please do so from a point of experience, or else you like the classic fandroid / fanboi idiot.

This also goes for iPhone owners hating android even though they've never had one, and same for android owners who've avoided the applecart. I just dont get it!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WP 7 and WP 8 bashers

Um... you don't need to *own* a Windows phone to know it is a bad idea.

An analogy: you don't need to own a pet to understand the responsibility that goes into owning one.

There are plenty of mobile/telco shops out there with Windows phones on display, and they let you finger and prod them to your heart's content.

Occasionally, you may also have the oddball friend who has a Windows phones. You can *borrow* his/her phone to play around with, you know? A shockingly novel idea to you perhaps?

Many of these pro-WP shills out there have this silly idea that just because you didn't purchase, or have never owned a Windows phone before, it somehow invalidates your less-than-flattering opinion of their beloved products. Or you're automatically a fan/sheep of one of the Big Two mobile camps.

Keep it up with that siege mentality. Windows phones' market share will continue to languish.

1. Sutton Stourmead
        Meh

Good counterpoints , glad you've called me as a WP fanboy - I do like it but it's got SO much room for improvement that id shy away from accepting my fanboi award ... It has it's pretty major problems like font sizes , inefficent use of screen size, plus a minor issue THAT IT WONT CHARGE WHEN FLAT - haha need to do CPR on it (hold down on key for ten seconds, wait for the first vibrate buzz, THEN insert the live charging cable) but nothing in the phone makes me hate it.

I also have an iPhone 4s, and my wife has an Android Motorola phone.

The Moto is s-l-o-w but compact , good looking but poor for doing pretty much most things that arent games or ringing people.. But it's bullet proof, waterproof and BABY proof - we both love it.

The iPhone just drives me up the wall - i'm not suited to that style of os but the phone itself is lovely, solid and has all the features i need - again i dont hate it but dont really like using it that much for calls and sms's. i do like it for internet and as a small e-reader.... Plus, if i put it down in a client meeting , everyone i hope makes the mental connection between me, my phone, my style, my company, a certain level of associated affluence and status, and they start thinking I'm a good person to do business with.

I think borrowing a phone, yes you'd get to see the shiny side of any OS but you wouldnt get to see the grotty underbelly unless your mate let you go and muck about importing and exporting contacts and calendars on your laptop. So borrowing isnt such a shockingly novel idea to me as my comment made out ..

I'd like to think I have a fair idea of what goes into making a good application, network service, and phone hardware - for instance I worked on sending the first ever MMS's over a decade ago , using digital cameras and Nokia communicators, happy days!

I've never stuck to a platform for longer than 1 phone contract, as variety is the spice of life... Beloved as many of my exes have been, i've always gone to something new, usually as an early adopter. Seriously thinking Blackberry 10 this renewal !

I stand by my comments that 'hating' a phone without owning one is dumb , but see your point about pet ownership... you can research and get advice and compare specs and the like, and that knowledge conditions you - you'll know if its roughly right or not for your circumstances , but until you have had one in your hand for an appreciable time and SEE how your own usage gets tailored to the capability of the phone, see what it lets you do and what it stops you doing, you wont be able to say if you 'hate' it or not. reeling off a spec sheet of cans and cants just helps me decide if i should go for something or not. it doesnt shape my accquired opinion.

'Choosing' a phone is a different matter entirely - Many phones meet my requirements , but in this instance I chose the Lumia as it was black, gloriously seductive looks and relatively rare, and my mental checklist told me it could cope with my needs at the time (ring people, FB, SMS and an ok camera) - the OS has made it a pleasant journey along the way. And it's horses for courses - a friend asked me if i had a phone he could use - by this he meant exclusively iphone , he loves it and cant get on with my phone , and thats fine too :)

2. JDX Gold badge

So the fact I've never owned an Android phone or run Linux desktop does not diminish the credibility of my statement that they're shoddy and not user-friendly?

Using something for a few minutes or using it day in and out are totally different. If I used Linux every day I might come to love all the things I'd have to learn, which on first impressions just annoy me.

2. Jess

people who have clearly never owned a WP 7 or 8 device slagging the platform

Quite simply it's because of the way they pulled the plugs on Symbian. (It is No-Win I specifically hope will fail.)

Windows phone is a non starter for me because it is locked to an apps store (just as iOS is).

I bought the N8 for the SIP VOIP features and the GPS. I have found the camera and the media replay facilities fantastic too.

A Windows phone is in no way a replacement for a Symbian phone. It may be a replacement for an iPhone.

So I'm hoping the new BB10 is good or Tizen happens, otherwise I will be down the android path.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nokia/Microsoft doesn't get it

People do not want crappy phones with a crappy OS at *any* price point.

People do not want Microsoft's dog food (Bing, IE, Xbox LIVE, Skydrive etc) on their phones.

People are happy with iOS/Android, and there are better options for cheap phones.

A lot of talented people have left Nokia, only to be replaced by more Microsoft sycophants. Nokia is now a hollowed out 'shell' company. Only Microsoft's acquisition of it awaits.

That is why the total global market share of Windows phones remains abysmal, despite the sheer amount of marketing and money pumped into it.

I predict even RIM/Blackberry will leapfrog Windows phones in market share.

23. imaginarynumber

not sexy but what do you expect at that price

I might consider this as a backup phone. Anecdotally, I suspect that a lower spec WP8 unit will be less sludgy than a droid costing the same amount.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like