back to article World fails to implode during Gates-Jobs gagfest

We were expecting to wake up to technological armageddon this morning, following the endlessly trailed public meeting of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates at the All Things Digital conference (D5) near San Diego last night. No such luck: instead of kicking off the final battle for dominion over the universe, the billionaires traded …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Greg Nelson

User Friendly Fire

Back in the day Apple users touted a user friendly interface. Artsy types dressed in black waxed creative on their Apple computers while early wintel computer users saw Apple's user friendly, touchy feely, love fest as a cover for locked down boxes that couldn't be hacked. We viewed Apple people as weak prey. Well not really prey. We couldn't actually kill and eat them. We knew cannibalism was wrong. 'Lord of the Flies' was required reading and we knew what would happen if we actually killed and ate Apple users. "Damned fruits!"

Gates is a geek. Jobs is cool. I'm pretty sure he'd tell you he is if you asked him. Just as Apple stuff is cool and the people who use it are cool. Someone mentioned Apple used a photo of a young Miles Davis in one of their ad campaigns. Miles heralded 'The Birth of Cool' but he knew cool was an accolade not a claim, and, if you called it or yourself cool then it just wasn't cool. Somewhere in the back of Job's mind must be the shadow of another American who was around when cool was birthed. Lenny Bruce said, "there's nothing more pathetic than an old hipster." Interestingly when I goggled the quote I never found Lenny as the source. Apparently Dr. Evil of Goldmember fame is now owner of Lenny's quip. That ain't cool.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ruddy Hell! It's Harry And Paul

If only real life had been like the Gates & Jobs sketch(es).

Some didn't think they were funny. I thought they weren't too bad.

3. Test Man

Ruddy Hell

Am I the only one who thinks of "Ruddy Hell! It's Harry and Paul" when reading this story?

;)

4. David Crowson

Re: comments by Greg Nelson

Strange , when I Google that phrase I get one hit only, and it´s Lenny Bruce....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22there%27s+nothing+more+pathetic+than+an+old+hipster%22&btnG=Google+Search

Which Google are you using ?

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well there's an explanation

It couldn't be technological armageddon, these guys have seen too much water flow between them.

In short,they're old, and getting tired. Gates is no longer the frontpiece for Microsoft, and Jobs is used to being the untouchable god. Lets not ruffle any feathers uselessly, hmmm ?

6. Morely Dotes

@ David

He said he "goggled" it. One can only conclude his goggles need cleaning.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: comments by Greg Nelson

David, the difference is that you enclosed the phrase in quotes and Greg presumably did not.

8. Charles

"The Road Ahead"

I think that Beatles comment was a sly (and snarky) reference to BillG's notoriously bad book "The Road Ahead."

9. Greg Nelson

@ By David Crowson

My results differ from yours. Using quotes brings a reply of no matches found and a suggestion to remove the quotes. Yahoo! shows the same results. I tried to track down the quote because I'm fairly certain I'm not accurately quoting Bruce. To the best of my knowledge Bruce release two LPs, one a double. I owned both but they've gone the way of all things. I don't recall the quote being from his live standup work. I'm fairly certain the quote I sought can be found in his book 'How to Talk Dirty and Influence People'. Just as an aside the book is worth the read if only for the part where an old lady storms from her house brandishing an elephant gun at police officers who are attempting to arrest Bruce for impersonating a man of the cloth.

Apologies for the spelling and grammar errors rife in my posts. I work for 45 mins to an hour or so then shoot through various sites, sometimes carelessly firing off posts as a form of relief.

I'll clean my goggles, but, be forewarned, I'm given to seeing things through a glass darkly.

10. Alex

Mellow

Its amazing how a couple of billion dollars and world domination can mellow a guy out, isn't it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like