back to article Samsung ordered to cough mobe sales figures to world+dog

Samsung has failed to keep under wraps sales totals for its Android-powered phones that are locked in a patent dispute with Apple. In a particularly snippy filing from long-suffering Judge Lucy Koh, she made it clear that she did not think the South Korean electronics behemoth had a good reason to keep the info secret. Sammy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG

You'd think they would be lasting to the world how many phones they sold.....

1. LarsG
      Happy

Boasting I mean

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well you are assuming the figures were not fudged I guess?

2. Vimes

I'd be more interested in how much Samsung earn from installing bloatware on their unlocked handsets. It's bad enough that the operators feel the need for customised firmware that conveniently includes the sort of crap we wouldn't normally want to go anywhere near, but now the handset makers seem to be getting in on the act too. And each system update from Samsung Germany includes these apps so I have to go through each time and remove them, and all presumably because Expansys got my 1st gen Galaxy Note from Germany.

That is unless of course somebody could explain to me how a taxi booking service app or a hotel finder app constitutes a core part of the OS, which is what Samsung tried to pass them off as when I contacted them to complain about this. I tried to get them to justify them including the apps in system updates but this was the best I could get out of them. I can't even use the apps - even if I wanted to - since they're clearly aimed at German users.

1. David Hicks

I knw you shouldn't have to do this...

But if you root the phone and install an app called SDMaid (IIRC) you can delete the crapware, even if the system doesn't want you too.

I too have a German galaxy device, a Note I bought when I bought in Australia from a hong-kong vendor and have brought with me back to the UK. None of these places require a german taxi app...

3. peter 45
    Alert

um

A billion at stake and the Judge does not realise that every single point will be argued? Does she understand what a billion is?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: um

Please us the correct terminology. I believe you mean Beeeellllion

2. Neil Greatorex

UK billion or US billion?

1. John H Woods Silver badge

It's a billion dollars. A billion pounds would be slightly more - not much, because long scale billion is not used for UK currency. Or for much else, tbh, but it very definitely is not used for pounds sterling.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Downvoter might like to check their facts. I was never a fan of the short scale, but it has been used officially by the UK government since 1974.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Used by the UK Government? Is that supposed to be a recommendation?

4. Dan Paul
    Devil

Keep it secret as long as possible Samsung!!!!!!!!!!

Why should Samsung be required to provide proprietary business information so that some Apple-ite judge can use it against them?

As I understand it, all parties in US Legal proceedings get the right to protect themselves from self incrimination under the 5th amendment to the Constitution.

Giving your enemy a means to calculate the "sum certain in damages" is self incrimination. The fact that the Judge is asking for this info practically proves that she is working for Apple.

The only way to solve all these cases is to use the logic of Solomon and make each side pay the others legal bills and donate ONE BEEELLION DOLLARS to the American Debt Relief Fund.

Oh, and publicly name each company as "Vexatious Litigants" so they get their asses handed to the court the next time they show up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Keep it secret as long as possible Samsung!!!!!!!!!!

Pay up Samsung - apple only have $120bn cash in the bank...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sorry but during the trial Samsung conveniently leaked evidence to the public when they could not present them in court. Now when asked to present the numbers, deciding otherwise is absolute double standard for this crappy company who can't defend themselves in dignity.

1. KjetilS
      FAIL

The court had already ruled that they would not accept the "evidence", therefore it is impossible for Samsung to leak it, since it per definition wasn't evidence.

2. Trustme

"cant defend themselves in dignity"

He says anonymously....

3. Tim Bates

"Leaked"?

It's hardly leaking when you create a full on press release about it. That's more like a burst pipe than a leak.

6. osx86

I have a slight suspicion that those numbers if revealed might be lower than what people expect.

7. Silver

This could be fun

Samsung has no problem boasting about "devices shipped" which is not a particularly helpful metric since 1 phone shipped ≠ 1 phone sold.

Finding out how many phones they actually sold, why the disparity between shipped vs sold and what happens to all those phones which are shipped but aren't sold could be interesting reading.

1. Tim Bates

Re: This could be fun

>Samsung has no problem boasting about "devices shipped"

Very few companies have problems boasting about that. Apple does it too, except when they're boasting about being sold out.

>why the disparity between shipped vs sold

Pretty easy - they simply don't know. They aren't marketing them directly to customers, and they really don't care if a reseller sells them on or just sets fire to them.

Besides - the whole court case will be about units produced, not resold. Apple are going to demand royalties on every one manufactured, not just the ones Joe Public got to play with.

8. ukgnome

And the groundhog year begins again.

If only the Mayans had been right!

9. Keep Refrigerated
    Go

Long-suffering Judge Lucy Koh

It is my understanding is that she's allowed the circus to continue whilst she allowed the clowns to run the entire show and keep the antics going... yet she keeps complaining about the noise.

Yes, poor Judge Lucy Koh, will they please stop asking her to perform the duties of a judge on this case, it's all a bit too much!

1. auburnman

Re: Long-suffering Judge Lucy Koh

I wonder what the legal mechanisms/options are for requesting a new Judge in the jurisdiction? She clearly wants to put the case behind her and can't seem to comprehend that every point will be fought bitterly at this financial scale.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like