back to article Yes, hundreds upon hundreds of websites CAN all be wrong

One day a couple of years ago I happened to hear an old song called “The Endless Enigma,” by Emerson, Lake & Palmer, that I remembered from when I was a teenager. Listening to it again reminded me that there was a line in the lyrics that I’d never been able to understand: I’m tired of ________, with tongues in their cheeks… This …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh

Shit - you're saying some of the stuff on the internet can't be trusted?

Well I never...

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Oh

That's right, but the tricky part comes when you realise that some of it *can* be trusted.

Those selfies you posted ten years ago which now appear as the "I feel lucky" hit when you apply for your first job, for example, are completely authentic. We need to find a way to teach the younglings *both* of these truths.

1. Mayhem

What's worse is the fact that a page that was once right can change behind your back to being wrong, or the other way around. And without looking at changelogs or the InternetArchive there's often little proof of what you remember a page saying.

2. Erwin Hofmann
      Thumb Up

... a Google search, for the two versions (whole strings) results in a 2 to 1 probability to get the wrong information ... meaning, there is a 33% chance to stumble on to some real facts here ... oh, and the top one, on the result list of the wrong version, states: "What is the meaning of the expression "liver for freaks" in this verse of "The Endless Enigma" from the album "Trilogy" by Emerson, Lake ... which spells even more hope ... let the cleanup begin ... ha ha ha ... well spotted ...

3. John Lilburne

No he's saying that more than 90% of it is bollocks and only 70% of that is gay pr0n.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

"90% of it is bollocks and only 70% of that is gay pr0n..."

Presumably there's some overlap there, too.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

there's a whole niche for overlapping gay pr0n there if you feel the need to explore it

4. TheOtherHobbes

If you think the Internet is bad, you should see the crap that gets printed in those newspaper things.

5. Erwin Hofmann
      Stop

... well, well, well ... I wonder if someone considers that neither of the verses are actually correct ... listen to the song [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQxc2-ERPug] ... it clearly says (in this and the version I have):

I'm tired of living with freaks

With their tongues in their cheeks

... now, how about that ... fool me twice, shame on me ...

Cheers

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sounds like "hypocrite freaks" to me.

However, it doesn't matter either way 'cos it's a shite song anyway.

1. BoldMan

I always thought that line said "Military Freaks"

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"Apologies to any affected Emerson, Lake & Palmer cover bands."

Well *that* image brightened up my morning...

3. Graham Marsden
    Happy

Obligatory XKCD cartoon...

http://xkcd.com/386/

1. Bush_rat
      Happy

Re: Obligatory XKCD cartoon...

Now that was amusing... Thank you for the pick-me-up

2. SoaG

386 has long been one of my favourites :) For this article though I think another is a perfect fit:

http://xkcd.com/978/

1. illiad

ahhhhh... is that why people hate wikipedia???...

1. BorkedAgain
          FAIL

"...people hate wikipedia..."

[Citation Needed]

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How sad is it that I don't need to follow the link to know that XKCD #386 is the "Someone's wrong on the Internet" one?

4. Allan George Dyer
      Joke

I hope you realise that there's a badly-written "u", it should read, "Someone is wrung on the internet". It's a protest against unnecessary networking of laundries.

4. Miguel Farah
    Thumb Up

It's even worse when it's YOU OWN mistake that gets propagated.

I fully agree with Mr. Mandl. I'd like to add another example of this... one that actually happened to me.

I am the author of a rather detailed research of the history of Chilean holidays. There's a particular one, September 11, that used to commemorate the 1973 coup. When I was starting out this work, I didn't know when exactly it began being observed, so I wrote down "No earlier than 1974." as a placeholder. At some point, I mistakenly reduced that to "1974", so for a while my research listed that year as the holiday's beginning. A few months later I corrected this when I found the decree-law that established it (published in 1981, so that's the actual beginning year)... but by that time several other sites had copied the wrong data, and it propagated from there. Three years later, it's still easy to find sites that list the wrong year (1974) instead of the correct one (1981).

At least I have the source to back it up and I've managed to convince two different people about this, so they've corrected their sites as well.

5. frank ly

re. Bootnotes

Non-muso here: What is a quarter-note? What is a beat? What is a bar?

Can you recommend a website that has simple examples I can listen to? (Can you recommend one that gets it right?) I need a website called 'music-for-people-who-enjoy-it-but-know-nothing-about-it.com'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: re. Bootnotes

You must have heard some drummer or musician say "1, 2, 3, 4" at the start of a song?

Well that's the four beats in a bar (4/4 timing).

I'll leave Bill Bailey to explain further using the Bill theme tune as an example :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uAo2rqWB08

1. frank ly
        Thumb Up

Thank you AC. There's always somebody here who knows:)

I've got off my intellectual backside and had a look in Wikipedia (an easy place to start) and found this, which has examples:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_(music)

As might be expected, this contains other technical words related to the description of music............ I might be gone for some time.

2. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
        Thumb Up

@AC 31st Dec 11:54

You must have heard some drummer or musician say "1, 2, 3, 4" at the start of a song?

I'm glad that you made that differentiation.....

2. jonathanb Silver badge

Trying to think how to explain it in terms a non-musician would understand.

Beat - you should generally be able to bang the table or your foot or something at a regular speed, and the changes in notes will generally fall into that beat. In a lot of music, the drummer will do pretty much that, in classical music, the conductor will wave a stick to keep time.

You may notice when listening to the beat, that one beat in every four for example is stronger than the other beats. That stronger beat represents the beginning of the bar.

In Britain we generally use words based on italian words to describe note lengths. These are as follows, with each one half the length of the previous one in the list

Breve, Semi Breve, Minum, Crotchet, Quaver, Semi Quaver

The Americans use english translations of the german words. These are as follows, with each one the same as the equivalent position in the previous list

Double note, whole note, half note, quarter note, eighth note, sixteenth note

3. Naughtyhorse

err...

if you really want to know about headcase time sigs like 456/234 then it will prolly be on a subdomain of www.doityourselfbrainsurgery.com.

but there is a great resource on harmony\chord structure at

http://jamestaylor512.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=897

4. Robert E A Harvey

Bar: where you find all the people who can explain beats and time signatures

1. VeganVegan

and if you hang around that bar long enough, you will get a laugh when someone simply mentions the XKCD number.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

and if you hang around that bar long enough, you will get a laugh when someone simply mentions the XKCD number

As you will if you hang around here long enough.

Really, I can't help but wonder why people post the entire URL for XKCD references (particularly when they can't be bothered actually putting it in an HTML A element, so it's an actual link, grumble grumble[1]). Just cite the damn thing like you would an RFC:

"An HTTP user agent shouldn't cache the result of any non-idempotent request. See RFC 2616."

"Oh yeah? See XKCD 927."

[1] I used to have (my own improved version of) the Greasemonkey SuperLinkifier script enabled, so I didn't even notice this sort of thing; but I disabled it after I got tired of the noticeable slowdown rendering pages with megabytes of text. (Typically those were log files and such - obviously constructing an HTML page with megabytes of text is not usually desirable.)

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. illiad

errrrr... wikipedia???? :rolleyes: (hey YOUR turn now!!!)

6. Christos Georgiou
    Facepalm

Comprehension

One of the reasons I decided to learn English on my own (I had French in school) was to understand the songs I liked. My name is a giveaway, but in general, languages born and spoken around the Mediterranean sea (or the same latitude in general) have mostly comprehensible lyrics; you know, balance between vowels and consonants, since the closer to a pole, the more closed your mouth tends to be (more consonants), while the closer to the equator, you want to expel more heat (more vowels).

Anyway, I remember a summer vacation when I was 12-13, and we were at a camping site and next to us were two British ladies in their 50s. We became friendly, and at some time, I found the courage to ask for their help: “listen, this is a Dire Straits song that I can't understand the lyrics at some point, would be so kind to help?” They agreed. They listened. They couldn't tell what were the lyrics. One of the ladies explained to me: “You know, we don't always understand what the singers say.”

*That* was a revelation to me; I wasn't (that :) stupid!

Later on, I discovered that many LP records had sleeves with the lyrics in (bye bye cassette tapes!) Of course, even then there were other difficulties (“sings a streetsuss serenade”? “helluva start”? or the damned handwriting on “the Wall”...) explaining what it is you were reading.

Music. The world needs more music. Cheers and a happy new year to everyone.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: Comprehension

I worked in Germany with a (German) guy who learned to sing every Bob Dylan song word-perfect years before he learned English. He had no idea what he was singing, but that wasn't the point. Could lead to some strange interpretations, though... ("Aalen in der Wachs stau er", anyone?)

Oh,...and it's "Sings the street a serenade"

Happy New Year!

1. Mike 125

Haha great story! Mind you, that's how many people approached Bob Dylan's music, including me. It was that wonderfully awful nazal grind he made - it just seemed to grow on you, like smoking.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "streetsuss"

Try googling for "site:markknopfler.com streetsuss". A moment ago I found: "sings a streetsuss serenade".

At some point in 1982-1984 I had access to the vinyl record which came with the lyrics. I clearly remember being intrigued by the word at that time, though I can't guarantee it was spelt like that; it might have been "streetsus". I've had a few beers since then.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The Oxford English Dictionary online, "Draft additions 1993", has "suss" with the definition "Know-how, savoir faire; understanding, ‘nous’" and citations from 1979, 1987 and 1990. The citations are from "Sounds" and "Hi-Fi News".

I did wonder at first whether it was "suss, n.", "A slattern, slut", with citations from ?1565 and 1865, but I guess not.

1. illiad

right definition, wrong word...

see http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/1677719

2. illiad

the proper words are 'sings in the streets a serenade' ..

or to put it in the knopfler 'drawl'.. :)

" a luvstruc row meo, sings n th streets uh ssserunade... "

:)

http://youtu.be/MOe7Ke1JuuY

3. AbortRetryFail

The vinyl and also the first run of the CD (I have owned both) definitely say "streetsuss" on the printed lyrics. I always thought that was a little odd, but it was right there bold as day.

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

> “You know, we don't always understand what the singers say.”

On that note, it's possible that Frankie Goes to Hollywood"'s greatest achievement was to liberate the lyrics of Born to Run from Bruce Springsteen's mumblings.

"Beyond the Palace the hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard / Girls comb their hair in rear view mirrors and the boys try to look so hard" - who'da known?

1. Flugal

Frankie's version of Born to Run is a fine version (not that I'm knocking Bruce's. Thanks for the reminder.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On the back of Beatles album were the lyrics. Printed was, "Remember that the love you get is equal to the love you get." We thought that was a much more realistic version.

7. AbortRetryFail

Apocalypse in 9/8

Rumour has it that when Phil Collins played the drums for the Genesis track "Apocalypse in 9/8" (part of Supper's Ready) he didn't know how to drum in 9/8 and just did it by feel. Later he learned how to play it properly and many feel it wasn't as good.

1. Lonesome Twin

Re: Apocalypse in 9/8

I read somewhere (I don't think on the interweb!) that the track was basically an extended jam session, and they named it after they worked out why it sounded so 'odd'.

2. Mike Flugennock
      IT Angle

Rumour has it that when Phil Collins played the drums for the Genesis track "Apocalypse in 9/8" (part of Supper's Ready) he didn't know how to drum in 9/8 and just did it by feel. Later he learned how to play it properly and many feel it wasn't as good.

In junior high school, I played clarinet in the concert band, and so had the benefit of several years of music education and was able to read music and discern things like time signatures. Still, odd-metered time signatures were difficult even as I tried to remind myself that 5/4 was the same as 4/4, except that you're counting to five; I often ended up learning those pieces by "feel" as actually trying to count five to the bar while playing was clumsy and threw me off.

There's a popular old Grateful Dead tune, "Estimated Prophet", which is played in 7/4, and when subconsciously tapping my feet or bobbing my head in time with it, I'm always doing it by "feel" instead of actually counting seven to the bar. I once tried to consciously count off the bars in that tune and just couldn't do it.

Late '50s modern jazzman Dave Brubeck was famous for writing in odd meters; his big breakout hit from 1959, "Take Five", is written in 5/4, hence the title. At least half the tunes on his first three albums are written in odd meters; the track lists on the album jackets include, along with the track length, the time signatures. What was really great about that stuff was the fact that when you listen to those performances, they have a really relaxed, natural feel to them; they don't sound as if the band is really working hard to play in odd time signatures.

(Where's the IT Angle? Well, there's mathematics involved...)

1. Turtle

@Mike Flugennock: Re: Apocalypse in 9/8

Anything beyond 3/4 and 4/4 can be construed as a compound time signature. And even 4/4 can be construed as two measures of 2/4. So for 7/4, instead of counting, let's say, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7, one might count 1-2 + 1-2-3 + 1-2, or 1-2-3-4 + 1-2-3, or whatever combination happens to fit the accents and stresses of the music.

2. beep54
        Happy

Slight correction here. Take 5 was actually written by Paul Desmond who played alto sax on the original recording. Also Indian ragas tend to be in very peculiar time signatures (at least to most Western ears) such as 11/4 and 13/4. The first, for instance, can be broken up in three standard ways 4-4-3, 4-3-4 and of course 3-4-4. Mahavishnu Orchestra had a song called Dance of Maya that turns out to be in 10/8 time but is broken down in such a way that it is very hard to count out. It appears to the ear that in the middle the song shifts to a completely different time signature but it actually is just a different breakdown of the same one. This becomes apparent at the end when both parts get played simultaneously, but the to the jaw-dropped amazement of most who hear it. Fun stuff :)

3. hamsterjam
        Headmaster

Ahem.

The late Dave Brubeck (who I had the pleasure of seeing live when I was a schoolboy) was releasing albums ten years before "Time Out", so that is in no respect his first album...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Brubeck

3. Julian Bond

Always found that one easy. One-Two-Three-FOUR, One-Two-THREE, One-TWO,

Try this as a marching tune.

I LEFT my wife and my four fat children, RIGHT in the middle of the kitchen floor, I LEFT my wife...

1. John 62

My music teachers told me to count out music in /8 time signatures as "1 and a..."

i.e. 3/8: "1 and a"

6/8: "1 and a 2 and a" (common for Irish "deedly dee" music)

9/8: "1 and a 2 and a 3 and a"

9/8 is then like an uber-waltz

The big question is why 3/4 music and /8 music sounds 'lilt-y'. Further, why does a stress on the 2nd and 4th beats of 4/4 make it reggae/ska/polka and make you want to move funny?

1. JimC

Not just stress: the actual intervals between the beats need not be constant. This is sometimes called swing.

Them sometimes in compound time beats, commonly the second of each group of 3 may be effectively missed, so instead of (say) 6 evenly spaced beats you have four, but the first of each pair double length.

Related to this you'll sometimes find the first and third beats of 4 time lengthened, occasionally even to such an extent that the rhythym is closer to 12 time with the missed beats as above.

Of rock bands Thin Lizzy were major users of compound time sigs, which is one thing that gave them their distinctive feel. Much mainstream rock is rigidly stuck in 4 time, but Lizzy often played in 6, 9 and 12 time.

Its a very complex topic!

2. Mike Flugennock

The big question is why 3/4 music and /8 music sounds 'lilt-y'. Further, why does a stress on the 2nd and 4th beats of 4/4 make it reggae/ska/polka and make you want to move funny?

I've often wondered that myself, especially about the reggae groove. I'm sure a trained musicologist or music historian could explain it, but otherwise it's a mystery, at least to me; the accent on 1 and 3 makes me want to jump up and thrash my head up and down and play air guitar, but the accent on 2 and 4 makes me want to just sit back on the couch and take a bong hit.

Then, there's Don Powell's heavy kick-drum groove on all those old Slade records. Cum On Feel The Noize and Mama Weer All Crazee Now were awesome tunes, but they would never have been as great without Don doing that solid-four boot dancing groove. Compare it to Quiet Riot's cover of Noize from the mid '80s, where the drummer's just playing a straight-ahead rock'n'roll groove.

8. JimC

Its is amazing

How all those lyric sites out there seem to have copied from each other because you do see the same misreading come up time and time again.

A quite unrelated mystery is how I seem to understand lyrics much more easily now than I used to...Might just be better sound reproduction hardware of course, but I suspect there might be more to it than that.

1. Christine Hedley Silver badge

Re: Its is amazing

It's also amazing how few seem to credit the original transcriber. Though in cases such as these, that's probably a blessing.

2. Kubla Cant

"how I seem to understand lyrics much more easily now than I used to"

I've often wondered why I understand many previously incomprehensible lyrics when I listen to them while driving. It can't be a result of better sound quality, as several of the cars in question have had iffy audio and high ambient noise levels.

My theory is that while driving requires heightened alertness, the auditory and semantic content of the activity is low, so there is spare capacity for parsing lyrics. This looks pretty mad now I see it written down - can anyone think of a better explanation?

1. ShadowedOne
        Boffin

I attribute it to years of hearing language mangled by various people.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

You may be right about spare capacity, or it may be that conscious parsing of speech differs from unconscious parsing, so something you can't understand when you try to listen suddenly fires the right neurons when you simply hear it.

I'm told that there's a known effect whereby you can be sitting in a room doing something and suddenly someone in the background mentions your name. At that point, despite not having been listening to the conversation you are aware of the whole sentence *prior to* the bit where your name was mentioned (and presumably also prior to the point at which you became consciously aware of the conversation).

3. Rampant Spaniel

Perhaps it's intentional to track copying ;-) like how companies would put deliberate small mistakes in log tables (and similar) to catch other companies copying them verbatim.

4. Mike Flugennock

How all those lyric sites out there seem to have copied from each other because you do see the same misreading come up time and time again...

My all-time favorite was Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bad Moon Rising". It took me several years before I realized that John Fogerty was not saying "There's a bathroom on the right".

Oddly enough, though, I got Jimi Hendrix's "'Scuse me while I kiss the sky" line right off, the very first time I heard "Purple Haze". Go figure.

1. Naughtyhorse

pml

love misheard lyrics, to date my fave is

'tonight i sellotape my glove to you'

almost certainly a pisstake rather than genuine but v.funny

1. Robert E A Harvey
          Facepalm

Misheard lyrics

Wogan built a career on it: 'Mulligan's Tyre', indeed.

His high water was Kenny Rogers:

"You picked a fine time to leave me Lou Seal,

with four hundred kids and a cop in the field"

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
            Pint

Re: Misheard lyrics

@Robert E A Harvey, so you've never heard the other version of Lucille.

I once worked in a hotel and when the band got bored they usually started singing their own version of lyrics:-

"You pick your nose before your meals,

Four hundred children and a crap in the fields."

Icon: The reason why most of the audience never noticed.

2. Cliff

"Sometimes I feel like throwing my pants up in the air" always does it for me

2. foxyshadis

A lot of people are constantly looking for subtext with their favorite stars. It's really no different from the people who breathlessly tell everyone about Harry and Hermione's eye-flirting in this one scene. With the gay rights movement just gearing up, you'd better believe a lot of people were looking for validation.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Open Source

Welcome to the open source world, why bother writing some code when you can search for some and paste it into your project.

I wonder how many bugs or security holes that causes.

Sometimes you really need to actually write stuff or work something out yourself. Same goes for lyrics :)

1. Juan Inamillion
      Trollface

Re: Open Source

Troll alert.

Or maybe just a twunt.

2. A J Stiles

Re: Open Source

I wonder how many bugs or security holes that causes.
      Very few, actually, and their effects tend to be well-contained.

You see, just knowing that other people are going to point and laugh if you get it wrong, is a pretty good incentive to get your coding right.

If a project containing badly-written code becomes sufficiently popular, some other programmer keen to make a name for themself will rewrite the badly-written section and either submit it upstream, or call their refactored version a fork (depending whether they want their name at the front of the credits, or just an easy life).

On the other hand, if a project containing badly-written code is not widely used, then its effects are going to be limited anyway.

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a dig. Thomas Edison never did, even when it was beyond obvious that alternating current was the future .....

10. hitmouse

Not just lyrics

There are so many music tracks on the net where a misattributed authorship has spread widely. Even where a YouTube poster seems to have been corrected hundreds of times, they don't fix the error e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BydBT6pEqz4 which has repeated misinformation to over 2 million viewers.

You then see people writing (again and again) - oh I've always loved X's music, when there is no resemblance between X's music and the track posted.

Mind you, with the dominance of iTunes where the composer of music no longer matters, the error pages start to win out.

1. pixl97

Re: Not just lyrics

There are many times finding the misattributed song has lead me to the actual artist. At least the internet makes it easily searchable when you have incorrect information and are trying to find what you are looking for. It was a real pain in the ass back in the day trying to sing to someone else to see if they could figure out the song you were talking about.

Oh, and my favorite "There's a bathroom on the right" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Moon_Rising_(song)

11. GregC

Error strewn tab was around long before the internet...

Over the years I've purchased many books of tab that had massive (and blatantly obvious) errors in them. I rapidly decided it was easier in the long run to not be so lazy and learn songs by ear. At least that way the mistakes are my own....

1. Canecutter
      Trollface

Re: Error strewn tab was around long before the internet...

Actually, for learning to perform a tune on the guitar, there is no better way than the long way.

1. Grab hold of the music score for the tune

2. Work out the fingerings yourself

3. Make your own tablature

4. Continue having fun.

1. JimC

You shouldn't really need the score unless its some weirdo jazzy thing with sus9 major 15th chords or something. Even a mediocre muso like me can grab the chords and so on out of most songs with a bit of practice. And back in the day it was the most practical way to do it anyway. Buying dots for more than a few songs would have been a big lump out of the strings budget...

2. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
      Happy

Sigh..... nevada.edu alt.guitar.tab, I remember it well.

12. Mike 125

It's not an Interweb thing...

This is not an Internet phenomenon. There have always been sources you can trust, and sources you can't. It's nothing new. That's why in science and medicine for example, the peer review "chain of trust" is fundamental. (Of course, it too breaks down sometimes.)

So the Internet just gives us more and quicker, not better. But I thought everyone knew that..?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Peter Scott

For many years the statue "Here am I - send me" by Kathleen Scott was often taken to be of her young son - the later naturalist Peter Scott. The reasoning was that it was a war memorial for the school he was then attending - and he was often a model for his mother.

Only one source on the web cited his 1967 autobiography where he denied being the model. Kathleen Scott's diary extracts in her autobiography show that when she started that work she simply referred to "the model" rather than "Peter".

The word of mouth prior to the internet had obviously propagated a misconception by one, or several, people. The fiction was obviously more appealing to people's sentiment than the facts.

14. Vincent Ballard
    Coat

"today a few hours of web-searching could probably produce a collection twice its size"

To save anyone who's curious the few hours of web searching, just go straight to kissthisguy.com (on the front page of Google results for «mondegreen database»).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: MONDEGREEN

Thank you thank you thank you.

I've been trying to remember that word since the beginning of the article. I expected it would turn up much sooner in the comments, though.

1. David Pollard

Re: MONDEGREEN

Remembering the "Gladly" mondegreen still makes me smile.

A young girl had taken her somewhat aged teddy bear to church. As sometimes happens to such much loved bears, one of his eyes had fallen out at some stage to be replaced with one not quite the same as the original, giving him a slightly lop-sided appearance.

The vicar asked her what the bear was called. "Gladly." she replied. "What a curious name," said the vicar, "How did he come to be called that?" "He's named after one of my favourite hymns," said the girl, "You know the one. Gladly, the cross-eyed bear."

15. This Side Up

’Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy'

Reminds me of Herman's Hermits' "She's a muscular boy".

1. Arrrggghh-otron

Re: ’Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy'

A couple that I've heard...

"There's only one red light, and that's your own, your own" (Levellers - One Way)

"Because your concious..." (Babybird - You're Gorgeous)

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

Or as my kids used to sing: "Money for nothing and your chips for free"

2. pixl97

Kinda like when people actually figure out the words to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lola_%28song%29

My rather conservative nephew was singing the song with the lyrics all wrong and was rather redfaced when I told him to go look them up. I still get a chuckle out of that.

16. ArkhamNative
    Devil

Ugh, lyrics sites

Yes, the same errors "lifted" and copied everywhere. Even worse is the pop-over ad: "Click here to get <song> as a ringtone." Woo! 1994 lives! (ftw: Google preview -> cache -> text only version.) Small smile for the sites that add the line "Lyrics by <site>" to the centre of the lyrics.

Yes, the Internet is a cesspool, from wikipedia to forwarded emails debunked by snopes.

17. John Savard

No Right Answer

Looking on the web, I've found two other versions of the lyric...

I'm tired of living with freaks

and

I'm tired of hypocrite freaks

...perhaps listening to the song will help decide between them.

18. Camilla Smythe

Dad was Right After All

"This modern music. Can't understand what they are mumbling about and stop changing the channel on TV when I am watching cricket whilst pretending to be asleep."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu4lAGp2PHc

1. Pigeon
      Thumb Up

Re: Dad was Right After All

My dad would listen to football on an earphone, watch the news on the telly, and snooze at the same time. If you changed the channel on the telly, he would wake up and say "Hey, I was watching that". Is that multitasking?

19. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
    Pint

Pyramid Song, anyone?

I have determined the best way to start a punch up between music theorists is to take them to the pub and then ask them the time signature of a popular song.

20. Aldous
    Pirate

Filesharing made it worse

A few people with misnamed mp3's suddenly spread through the masses so Electric hellfire clubs cover of "sunday bloody sunday" got mislabeled as MDFMk. Even funnier is a whole loiad of songs being reclassed as KMFDM remixes and the owners of said files refusing to believe they were not as "they had every album" (despite the fact these songs appeared on none of the bands albums

21. J. Simon van der Walt

I'm a professional music educator, and I see students make errors based on mistaken transcriptions all the time. Not just internet transcriptions, though: sometimes they transcribe something themselves and don't quite get it right. Often the problems are in the piano reductions put out by the publishers. I found my first mistaken time signature years ago in the sheet music for Sky's first album, and there is what seems to me a very questionable transcription of the rhythm of 'Recorda Me' in one of the Real Books.

As far as the internet goes, I seem to remember a while back looking at online tabs for 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree', and I couldn't find a single one where I could agree with the chords given.

I have a dream that one day someone will open source the entire history of recorded music – the origial stems, that is – so that we can go back and listen exactly what the keyboard player was playing in bar 7 that day. Oh, plus the original autograph scores to every movie ever made :)

1. Mike Flugennock

mistaken tabs, chords, etc.

...As far as the internet goes, I seem to remember a while back looking at online tabs for 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree', and I couldn't find a single one where I could agree with the chords given...

I shudder to think of how many young guitarists out there are trying to learn old Jethro Tull songs from tablatures or fake books, given how Ian Anderson was famous for writing songs with torturous "designer chords". Back in college, when some of my friends who played in local cover bands were trying to learn Tull tunes, the most commonly-heard question seemed to be "How the hell does he play this stuff?"

1. Naughtyhorse

Re: mistaken tabs, chords, etc.

Ill see your Jethro Tull and raise you a Steely Dan.

At least with a bogus tab you can kinda use it to work out whats wrong and thereby get the correct chord/voicing in the end.

Much more irritating - try finding a tab for chuck e's in love - loads of hits, all for just the intro (the piss easy bit)

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: I have a dream

...which curiously enough reminds me of the story that when the makers of Mamma Mia asked Björn and Benny what the backing tracks actually *were* the reply was "Er, dunno exactly, we just played lots of stuff and mixed it all up until it sounded right", followed by many weeks of sitting listening to tapes with the original sound engineer to try to reverse engineer what the hell had actually made it onto the album.

So if you really want to know what the keyboard player was playing in bar 7 that day, I think you should get hold of the original tapes and beg the assistance of M. Fourier.

22. sandman

Far from just the internet, I've come across factual errors in paper-based books, sheer weirdness on some e-books owing to bad transcription (not entirely sure the transcriber's first language was English) and really bad errors in TV documentaries. I remember working as an advisor on a history one but was told by the directors assistant that he wasn't going to use a particular, absolutely critical source, because "that wasn't the story he wanted to tell". The end result was therefore complete bollocks and misrepresented the facts, but is now the "popularly" accepted version (if you get your history from TV that is ;-)

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Intentional errors

There is a school of thought that suggests that some errors are introduced intentionally by the publishers, and are used to identify the original source of copies of printed works.

This is particularly said of music manuscripts, so that if someone copies by hand some sheet music still in copyright into Sibelius or Rosegarden to produce 'clean' copies, supposedly free of copyright, the publishers can still identify and take appropriate action.

I keep reminding members of the choir I sing with what they can't do when it comes to music copyright. All I can say is thank heaven for the library service in the UK, who can loan/rent out multiple copies of music to choirs and orchestras at reasonable rates to reduce the temptation to buy one copy and just photocopy it.

1. Chris 244
        Facepalm

Re: Intentional errors

Are also: Sandy Island.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Intentional errors

There is a school of thought that suggests that some errors are introduced intentionally by the publishers, and are used to identify the original source of copies of printed works.

I know this to be true because there was an album documenting "secret marks" which were small alterations made in limited-edition collotype prints of old master paintings, at the publishers I worked for. Neither the process nor the procedure had been used by the company for decades, but we still had copies (stock even!) of those beautiful prints and the slight alterations which would give away a copy.

For the legal pedants: the paintings themselves, of course, would be long, long, out of copyright. However, copyright exists in the reproduction itself too. Want to publish this print too? Fine... but go and do your own negotiation with the gallery for physical access and get your own transparency made, and work from that, not our print.

2. foxyshadis

Many ebook transcriptions come from OCR+spellcheck, and are only updated if enough people report problems. I've found that professional versions are no better than your average pirated transcription/scan, and some pirate communities exclusively deal with proofread versions that are actually better than the selling copy.

Of course, real books have plenty of editing failures, too, so it's hardly unexpected....

23. Pete 2 Silver badge

Mondegreens

The mishearing song lyrics has a long and distinguished history. So distinguished, there's even a word for it.

However, in the particular instance: try listening to it through headphones - it's at about 3:30 into the track¹ and (if you crank it up to 11) comes over loud and clear.

I suspect a worse source of error in the internet / smartphone age is autocorrect.

[1] Return of the Manticore, side 3 track 3.

1. Lonesome Twin

Re: Mondegreens

Ummm.... more misinformation. It's at about 1:30 into the track. hth ;)

24. John 62
    Coat

Slightly overblown parody of REM circa Automatic For The People

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF0w7fJGVbQ

Flameproof coat for deflecting flames from people who will downvote me for linking to a Hale and Pace video!

25. keith_w
    Big Brother

Anarchist's cookbook

Why are you so sure those errors which resulted in self-maimed bombers were accidental?

26. Charles 9

6/8 time...why not 3/4 time?

I suppose there is a reason some compositions emphasize the eighth note rather than the quarter note. I'm just curious why some state their time signature as 6/8 rather than the reduced form 3/4 (which sheet-wise has the same effect--three quarter notes last the same amount of time as six eighth notes all other things being equal).

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: 6/8 time...why not 3/4 time?

Apparently it's down to the fundamental note length not being 1/4 note, but half as much again, ie, 3/8ths (a dotted quarter-note in sheet notation). Three/Four time is typical of waltzes and has a ONE two three and ONE two ... beat structure, but I'm not sure how to describe how 6/8 time sounds, or even whether it necessarily has a fixed place to place the emphases.

Anyway, while reading this article, quite a few thoughts came to me. Several posters have brought some of them up already, but not all..

re: the xkcd strip... is the word order even right in that?

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/005424.html

re: "kiss this guy" I believe (I read it somewhere on the Internet :) that Hendrix became aware of this mishearing and on some occasions actually sang the modified lyrics. Certainly one time I saw him on a BBC program it sounded more like "kiss this guy" than "kiss the sky" to me. Also, this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%27Scuse_Me_While_I_Miss_the_Sky

I loved The Smiths, but lots of their lyrics were indecipherable to me... "horn-shoed bicycle on a hillside desolate???" And forget about My Bloody Valentine....

Getting back to time signatures, I hope you mentioned Time Out by the (sadly) recently-deceased Dave Brubeck. While he didn't write the famous Take Five with its 5/4 time signature, all the tracks on the disc have unusual time signatures. It still sounds great today...

1. Charles 9
        Happy

"Apparently it's down to the fundamental note length not being 1/4 note, but half as much again, ie, 3/8ths (a dotted quarter-note in sheet notation). Three/Four time is typical of waltzes and has a ONE two three and ONE two ... beat structure, but I'm not sure how to describe how 6/8 time sounds, or even whether it necessarily has a fixed place to place the emphases."

I'd been wondering about it for years, and now I have some insight. Dotted quarters with plenty of other eighths in the sheet--maybe in triples (producing a da-da-da rhythm) and/or following a quarter (for a daaaa-da rhythm). Now I can visualize it and can recall plenty of music that had these types of rhythm. Thanks.

1. Hungry Sean

yeah, that might not have been the best example for deciphering a time-signature. 6/8 time is normally played as something weird called a "compound time signature", though it is less frequently played straight (each eighth note gets a beat). There isn't enough information in the time signature to know which way it is intended-- sometimes the music itself will clue you in (e.g. by breaking the eighth notes into groups of three).

House of the Rising Sun is a nice example of how this time signature feels and why it's called "compound"-- you can feel properties of both 3/4 and 2/4 in each bar-- the lyrics are clearly two beats to the bar (there is- a house) while the guitar part is going 1,2,3 1,2,3. . . it's a pretty distinctive sound.

2. Cameron Colley

Re: "Kiss this guy... "

There's a live recording (the Isle of Mann?) where he sung "'scuse me while I kiss this police man..."?

2. Dr Chopps

It's all about the beat. 6/8 divides the bar into two groups of three, e.g. a polka instead of a waltz.

The start of "Money" by Pink Floyd has a 7 note beat, which can only be danced to while inebriated...yet the song was included in a compilation album of "Greatest Dance Tracks".

“No matter how big the lie; repeat it often enough and the masses will regard it as the truth.”

― John F. Kennedy (as copied and pasted from some random website)

1. Mike Flugennock

The start of "Money" by Pink Floyd has a 7 note beat, which can only be danced to while inebriated...yet the song was included in a compilation album of "Greatest Dance Tracks"...

Yeah, I wondered about that, too. Could be because when it goes to Gilmour's big solo in the middle, it breaks down into a regular 4/4, almost a kind of a swing groove; then, when the solo winds down, it goes back to the 7.

Jethro Tull's "Living In The Past" is another long-time fave of mine. To this day I'm amazed that any band back then could get onto Top Of The Pops and have a massive hit with a song played in 5/4.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As others have said, it's mostly a "feel" thing. 6/8 time is also syntactically useful for cases when the music is played in triplets, but the music has a "1 2 3 4" rhythm to it. Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is a good example for the "feel" of 6/8 music, although Beethoven didn't write it as such.

4. DB2DBA

Why? Consider the 6/8 march "The Washington Post", which was a popular two-step dance tune in its time. Try doing that with an extra beat to the bar...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Consider the 6/8 march

Surely marches must be 2/4 --- because you have two feet, and always lead with the same one.

1. Charles 9

Re: Consider the 6/8 march

A 6/8 signature can operate as a for the purposes of marching while also allowing triplet beats for the music (since 2 and 3 both divide cleanly into 6). IIRC the jig "MacNamara's Band" is based on marching music, but you can hear the triplet pattern of the notes within each third or "step" beat of the song.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Pint

Re: Charles 9

Thanks. I was thinking that anything like that would be 2/4 or 4/4 with tuples. I guess that is not the case.

Not that I have thought about it much, or ever got any real musical education, but the nuts and bolts can't help but occasionally fascinate a music lover.

27. Arctic fox
    Thumb Up

I think that these (often very funny) "lyrical confusions" are driven by both the............

...........the artist's endeavours to fit the lyrics to the musical focrm the producer wants and/or the artist's own idiosyncratic take as far as pronunciation goes. The Nat King Cole classic "Mona Lisa" contains the following lines:

"Are you warm, are you real, mona lisa?

Or just a cold and lonely lovely work of art? "

If you listen to it it sounds for all the world as if he sung "are you warm are you rill mona lisa?" which does sound a touch peculiar. Oh, Happy New Year everyone!

28. Andrew Jones 2

Of course you also get examples of people using the internet to spread misinformation on purpose (for fun) - like the often regurgitated "you eat x spiders a year while you sleep" which was in fact an experiment to see how quickly misinformation will spread around the internet and become fact. It works in the same way - people republish the information until it becomes the definitive answer when you search. A quick Google search however several years after it was revealed that is was in fact a lie - shows that most of the results on the first page point to the fact it was a made up statistic. So in this example, yes - the web has corrected itself.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

re: "you eat x spiders a year while you sleep"

Or the one about how the daddy long-legs (crane fly) is the most poisonous creature in the UK/Ireland, and has venom that can kill a man. Only fortunately for us, it can't bite through our skin...

(yes, this is a myth, but a very often repeated one).

1. Anon

Re: daddy long-legs

No, no, lol. Not crane flies, but Pholcidae. And I thought they were meant to be the most venomous creature in the world. Anyway, Mythbusters disproved that: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/daddy-long-leg-spiders.htm

Nevertheless, they do an excellent job of keeping down the spider population in my abode.

29. Gashead

Jessie J

Whenever I get bored I go round the web correcting articles that assert Jessie J was born in Essex. It doesn't help that she states this in the first page of her autobiography.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The web makes it effortless for anyone to copy and “republish” any information that’s out there, regardless of quality."

That and any medium of copying. Since time began. But we can still go back and check and correct where ever possible.

31. Angus Ireland
    Happy

Wikis to the rescue?

My lyrics source of choice is LyricWiki (lyrics.wikia.com)

Crowd-source your lyrics, get the community to verify and maintain them, and back it all up with Gracenote-sanctioned versions (though sometimes Gracenote gets it wrong too - for example in Moby's "Lift Me Up", they list one line of the chorus us "[Unverified]". So very helpful.).

They even have the correct lyrics for The Endless Enigma ;)

32. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

I got serious grief from an ex gf who said I ruined her fave song when I sang:

"I'm like a bird, I'll only fly away.

I don't know where my phone is..."

1. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
      Facepalm

I'm mad after midnight

A friend accused me of having ruïned the ABBA song "Gimme Gimme Gimme" for him after having pointed out to him that the words are "... a man after midnight" and not "I'm mad after midnight".

33. Tel Starr

All this presumes...

That the bands involved were going with the written\published lyrics and not forgetting them and\or making their own variants up in the studio (or just having fun and doing some leg pulling)

1. Pigeon

Re: All this presumes...

Someone I knew (?) told me that his band sang "Ten days of felch" instead of "Ten days of hell", just because they were bored. (btw felch is a silly rude word).

34. Ocular Sinister
    FAIL

Printed books are just as bad...

I mean, there's even some weird zombie death cult with an obsession with crosses - all because they've got a book that says its true.

35. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
    FAIL

The most famous balls-up...

.. involves the writer Philip Roth. He wrote a story (as writers do...) which some reviewers misinterpreted. The Wiki picked these misinterpretations up and published them.

Philip Roth sent them an e-mail pointing out that what the wiki was saying was not true. The wiki refused to change it - because it had cites for the error, but only an email (from the original writer!) for the correct version. Eventually Roth had to write a magazine article pointing out the error - and the wiki took that as an adequate cite.

The story is here: http://www.ojr.org/ojr/people/alih/201209/2090/

36. Boris S.

No surprise

I constantly find incorrect technical information posted online. When you try to explain to the unknowing that it's incorrect, they assure you it MUST be correct because it's posted at 4,286+ websites or threads - so it MUST be true...or NOT!

The same applies to PC hardware testing where the tester doesn't use appropriate test procedures and then gets an incorrect result. People who know no different will argue that the results MUST be correct because they are published on a website. They completely miss the importance of proper testing methodology.

1. illiad

Re: No surprise

yes, and they usually forget to say WHAT OS they are using!! - the wrong one, causing more crashes... :( :(

- only use a forum, and if no answer, forget it!!! :(

37. Big-nosed Pengie

The same thing happens with chord charts. Many, perhaps the majority of, chord charts on the Internet are wrong - sometimes egregiously so. But most of them are identical, so clearly they're copies of the original wrong chart.

1. DJ 2
      Pint

I have bought guitar tab and chord books before that were obviously wrong. They can be a good starting point for a song, but you need to change it to suit your own style and voice and correct the wrong chords / voiceings.

Playing the exact recording version of a song is very boring and not a lot of bands are faithful to their original recordings.

I'm currently playing The Smiths covers with a country feel to them. Makes people laugh and sing along in silly voices.

Beer because the ultimate stage fright relaxant.

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only us dumb morons here!

And I bet you were also watching Idiocracy last night

39. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

I'm tired of liver and beets.

[Mum was a lousy cook]

40. John Deeb
    Boffin

error

The most obvious error demonstrated in the article was the assumption that accurate information could be looked up consistently in a general web search at all. The nature of the web itself as knowledge base is hit and miss with as a rule unauthorized sourcing. It's always more about connecting and making connections, information and people wise. Sometimes the impression can arise one can use it (the web as collection) as some kind of fast encyclopedia and supplier of arcane or trivial fact from a global data store but it just really isn't designed to do that. It was just one of those popular things that grew out of it, wholly imperfect but since people are not really looking for exactness when looking for song lyrics or music notation on a random site, this is perfectly okay. It's not something to worry about in itself. What is something to worry about is that large amount of people who have at some point bestowed certain qualities on the web which are not there and should also never be expected by professional users.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Misheard Lyrics....Alison moyet:

I grow wigs for the president of Newquay...

42. The Indomitable Gall

Case in point: Hogmanay.

Over the last few years I've seen a new myth appear and it's all over the sodding internet: the claim that "Hogmanay" (Scottish for New Year's Eve) comes from the Gaelic "Oge maidne"... which doesn't exist. There is something similar -- "òg-mhadainn", but this means the very start of a morning (predawn, I believe). And yet it has spread so profusely that you'll even see someone posting pictures of his New Year's parties under the heading "Oge Maidne".

It's being copy-and-pasted around so much that it's killing genuine truth....

43. Petrea Mitchell
    Childcatcher

15/16, really?

I've come across a few exotic time signatures in the course of my amateur choral career, but 15/16 is a new one to me!

Of course, having read the article, now I don't dare search the Web for an example...

44. Dana W
    Thumb Up

Oh yes........ For some reason I don't even understand myself, "I am not a dance music fan" I love the song "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" By Eiffel 65. Its even the ringtone on my phone.

But there is not ONE site on the internet that has not twisted the "Da Ba Dee" part into misheard lyrics. Not a single one. And if I argue the point someone will say, "You are wrong! I checked the official site!" this OFFICIAL site always tends to be Lyrics Freak or something of its ilk, where the Lyrics are contributed from the readers. Worse are the people who purposely contribute bad lyrics because the think its funny.

1. Huw D
      Coat

It's about the Scots

I'm blue, in Aberdeen I will die, Aberdeen I will die...

1. Dana W

Re: It's about the Scots

You think you are funny, but you aren't....................

1. Huw D

Re: It's about the Scots

I believe it was a famous Scots comedian that came out with that originally, but hey ho.

45. illiad
    Happy

sue lawley!! sue lawley!! :)

Ok, can anyone name the song this comes from???? ROFL ROFL...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. illiad

Re: sue lawley!! sue lawley!! :)

ROFLMAO!!!!! best yet....:)

46. BoldMan

Its The Police, not Sting (there is a difference you know) :)

and don't forget the classic "Massage in a Brothel"

47. Bernard M. Orwell

Money!

How can we hold this discussion on time signatures without mentioning the amazing Pink Floyd number "Money" which is in TWO time signatures (4/4 & 7/4) sometimes simultaeneously.

For the non-muso's try tapping one foot in time with the rhythm and the other in time with the melody.

:D

48. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Other Great Classics :

I'm Shaving off my muff for you (Houston)

Excuse me while I kiss this guy (Hendrix)

We built this city on the wrong damn road (Jefferson Starship ? Airplane ? Spruce Goose ?)

Here we are now, in containers (Nirvana, or was it Chinese immigrants ?)

And one of my favourite :

My anus is the center hole (J. Geils Band)

I'm sure there's a website somewhere.

49. daveeff
    Holmes

What is "right"?

I heard (!) Dave Edmunds got to play with Carl Perkins and was told his intro to Blue Suede Shoes was wrong, you're playing it like the record, I fluffed it in the studio it should go like this...

I have published sheet music that is less like the recordings than some on line tabs - although plenty of on line tabs that are v. wrong!

Dave

50. hapticz

The web ISN'T a library.

The hard copy in libraries is better vetted and verified, unlike the cheaply replicated slop that emerges from a web search. Data Integrity is carefully guarded in most life/death institutions (aka medical, military, financial). We're not talking about if it remains uncorrupted on some cloud platform or if the media (hard drives/dvd/flash/etc) will retain it correctly, but if the facts themselves are correct.

Music is another animal entirely, a mish-mosh of human rhythm, vocalizations, but perhaps the one most ignored is 'presence', or the direct affect by a performer on immediate persons physically present. I used the word AFFECT rather than EFFECT for purpose. (rather than effect :))

Money (and ownership of today's so called 'music") corrupts the process, removes the performer from the listener by insertion of duplicating process. And that is the only thing the big corporate RIAA and Sony types are in, duplication and shipping that around. They cannot be performers, artists or anything similar, so they steal the very heart of the artist's value from their work, and no one is the wiser.

STOP buying music, go only to concerts, LIVE concerts, where the artist can do what they do best, touch and see the people who care enough to show up.

Eliminate the greedy corporate overhead from the real art of music and communication.

Any artist of worth is not in it for greed, but for the love of the art. If their art is worth showing up for, they will never be hungry.

Out of the millions of performers, decide who are the real artists and who are the false profit takers, the cheap duplicators and clueless parrots.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The web ISN'T a library.

"STOP buying music, go only to concerts, LIVE concerts, where the artist can do what they do best..."

Hmm, I'm a musician, but I produce electronic music and don't perform live. I and others who do this surely appreciate your dismissing us as non-artists and cheap duplicators of heartless fakery.

Also, there are plenty of musicians whose most prominent talent is indeed touching the people who show up, but I'm not sure how many aim to do so in the way you envision.

51. daveeff

3/4, 6/8, 12/8 & compound time

I'm supposed to recognise 3/4 from 6/8 for music exams! I try and figure when the chords should change, if most of them change every 3 beats its 3/4, 6 then 6/8, 12 12/8 etc - but you can have split bars etc so you're looking for a lowest common factor & feel.

Often a 3/4 is a waltz, 6/8 a jig and 12/8 is a slow blues (think Gary Moore.)

AFAIK compound time is based around tuples - eg triplets

6/8 = 2/4 with all triplets (ie 3 notes over 2 beats)

12/8 = 4/4 ditto

That's what I read on the web somewhere ;-)

For 12/8 count it as 123,223,323,423; 123,223,323,423 etc

From just a melody line I can end up counting 1 2 3 4 and confusing 12/8 with 4/4 :-(

52. Mike Flugennock

What sometimes compounded the problem for me...

...was, along with mis-hearing lyrics, trying to decipher lyrics from British bands who used British slang in their lyrics. I never had much trouble understanding Ian Anderson's pronunciation, but every now and then I'd be like... "dog-end? fag packet...? What tha'...?"

53. JCitizen
    Megaphone

ELP RULES!!!

No brag - just fact!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like