back to article Black Ops 2 blunder has Mass Effect on buyers

PC gamers who rushed to buy Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 yesterday found themselves unable to play the new release when they found they received Mass Effect 2, a title published by Activision's fierce rival EA, instead. Gamers affected by the glitch - currently venting their spleen in several forums, including Steam and Reddit - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter Clarke 1
    Black Helicopters

Plan B

For special forces when the plan goes out the window then it;s 'Improvise, Soldier, Improvise!'

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow, in that picture the bloke looks like he's had his face photoshopped on!

1. Caleb Cox (Written by Reg staff)

I wonder why... ;-) I thought I had Commander, sorry, 'Major Shepard' looking pretty good, but we don't have the time to spend ages on trivial photoshop jobs, unfortunately.

1. Spleen

It's probably not a bad job, it's just that nobody played as the male Shepard so nobody knows what he looks like.

(For those unfamiliar with the game, it's not a transvestite fantasy thing; the voice actress who played the female Shepard is much better than the bland male one. I remember PC Gamer highlighting this in its review and I'm fairly sure it wasn't the only one.)

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Yes, off course it was the voice acting.

Nothing at all to do with the lesbian thing. . .

3. dssf

Mil Brevity Code

INT, WTF, over?

4. Grikath
    Trollface

In five years

A confirmed and unoped box will be worth meeeeeelioonss to Collectors...

1. Chris Houston
      Boffin

Re: In five years

meeeeeelioonss to the* Collectors...

fixed

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: In five years

How can you have a confirmed AND unopened box?

5. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

You think they're disappointed?

I bought Mass Effect 2 and it installed Mass Effect 2.

1. Not That Andrew

Re: You think they're disappointed?

Could have been worse. It could have been Mass Effect 3

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is fortunate indeed that those who are affected by this blunder are able to download it from Steam, free of charge. Without Valve, I imagine the situation would have been a lot more annoying.

1. Jediben
      Unhappy

Still not sold as advertised, so should be able to return it for refund or replacement, right?

1. a33a
        Go

I should think so, return and get a replacement.

7. Mondo the Magnificent
    Go

It happens...

Many years back received a Pink Floyd "The Wall" CD set for Christmas

I stuck it in the CD player, whoa and behold, it was Roger Whittaker! Even though the shiny CD insisted it was The Wall Disc 1, is was the whistling Whittaker... CD2 was correct.

Returned it to the record store and the chap behind the counter gladly exchanged it for a set that was as labelled.. but he was seriously amused by the mishap..

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: It happens...

Oh, mammy!

8. Chris Miller

I seem to recall an incident where someone inserted the wrong master disc and inadvertently copied their collection of pr0n videos for a mass distribution that went out to customers without further testing.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

9. Crisp

Download the game directly from Steam?

That is not a solution!

I want the discs in my hands so that when I eventually get bored of the game I can put them on eBay.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Download the game directly from Steam?

Or for when I in future want to play the game, but Steam no longer supports it / doesn't exist anymore!

2. Tom 260

Re: Download the game directly from Steam?

Considering it's a Steamworks game, eBaying the discs won't do you much good, as the serial code in the box is only good for the first Steam account it's used on.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sooooo

How long until the producers of Mass Effect sue those of Black Op2 for pirating the game?

11. Neoc

Question...

If ME2 is produced by Activision's rival... what was it doing in Activision's duplicators? Or isn't Activision burning its own disks these days?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like