back to article RIM sets date for BlackBerry 10 reveal

Research in Motion has finally set an official launch date for BlackBerry 10. The full reveal will take place at event to be held on 30 January 2013. The much-hyped BlackBerry 10 platform will be announced "simultaneously in multiple countries across the world", the company says in its BlackBerry blog. While we have yet to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. FartingHippo
    Meh

Might be FANTASTIC

But, sadly, very few people will care.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Might be FANTASTIC

Anyone who is forced to use one now for business will care. Anything is better than the current clunkfest.

They're also popular with da kidz.

2. LarsG
      Meh

Re: Might be FANTASTIC

But it will have to be so fantastic and more than amazing to stop the slide.

But will it be just another touch screen phone?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"the long-awaited BB10 reveal could turn out to be an anti-climax"

Of course it will. People are just trolls. They always think they know best and will rubbish it without looking! Appleites especially.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sometimes I think Android users are actually androids, they don't seem to be able to break out of their programming.

Given Google's use of the term Nexus it seems obvious some of them are replicants and the replicants in Bladerunner were emotionally stunted too :)

3. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

RIM and Nokia

Both dead, just too stubborn and dumb to admit it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: RIM and Nokia

LOL, I suppose Aston Martin are dead because they have so little marketshare too compared to Ford or Vauxhall.

Cheryl Cole probably sells a million times more records than some of the people I like, but popularity does not equate to quality. Android stuff is just cheap.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So retarded

I think you just broke my monitor.

Unless you have inside knowledge that RIM plan to sell each BB10 device for over £100,000 ???

I didn't think so.

2. GeorgeTuk
        Stop

Hey AC,

I don't think this website is for you.

2. calonddraig
      Thumb Up

I think RIM are in a much stronger position than Nokia, at least they didn't sell their soul to the devil and tie their products to another company and OS (I.E. Microsoft). If BB10 on phones can indeed run android apps, as has been claimed, and is seen, at least by the public, as being more secure than android, it will go far. It may well also become the much-hyped 3rd ecosystem ahead of WP8. As for clunkyness... I hope not - after the lengh of time it's been in development.

Strangely enough, I remember another company about 15 years ago which was commonly believed to be on the verge of total collapse. People even suggested that the only way forward was to licence clones to Dell. They turned their business around and are currently rather popular...

4. Brian T
    FAIL

It's dead

Just came out of a meeting where HR talked about what to do "in the post-Blackberry era" for the 15k+ employees of our business globally.

I am of betting that the answer will be something shiney and media-loved....

1. ItsNotMe

Re: It's dead

My Uni has already ditched RIM. 20k+ users gone.

5. ItsNotMe
    FAIL

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RIM sets a date for the beginning of the final act.

There, translated the headline for you.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Look like I'm the only one

who's actually looking forward to this then. Vodafone called me last week to offer me an early upgrade and were slightly stunned when I said I was going to wait a couple of months until BB10. I guess they don't hear that too much these days!

1. GTX
      Holmes

Re: Look like I'm the only one

@MIB - That is very Captain Sensible of you! I'll be saying the same...

8. James 51
    Thumb Up

That will be a year into my contract. One more year should be enough time for decent handsets to be released and the prices to come down a bit. I am looking forward to it.

9. Blake Davis

minor correction

FIPS is misspelled in the link to the gov't approval

10. AJ MacLeod

I'd certainly have considered one, but I'm not going to buy a phone with no proper buttons. RIM will be cutting off their nose to spite their face if they only produce touchscreen BB10 phones...

1. AJ MacLeod

Ah, scrap that, I obviously picked it up wrong - I've read elsewhere that they are going to produce a qwerty version.

As a true luddite I'm really still looking for a proper PHONE keypad though... don't think I'm ever going to get a real replacement for my Pearl 9105 :-(

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Pearl 9105

Same here: though one with a browser that didn't fall over on any website more complicated than m.register.co.uk would be ever so nice! :-\

11. Big_Ted
    Facepalm

Did the writer actually do any checking before writing ?

Quote.....Then again, with civil servants now realising BlackBerry handsets are uncool and many loyal fans upset over RIM's enthusiastic embrace of the touchscreen, the long-awaited BB10 reveal could turn out to be an anti-climax

If you check you will find that the two devices being released are one touchscreen and one with keyboard still.....

12. Mike Brown

Missing word from the pic?

hurt

13. JeeBee
    Mushroom

RIM can still recover, Nokia ... not so much

RIM has to ensure that their products are still the best at their own particular niche - data security, enterprise integration, lack of games to distract users - and RIM will be okay in the long run, if not quite as big as it once was. And BB10 at least will be interesting to geeky people due to its QNX unixy base, and native apps a la iOS, which bypasses the VM drawbacks of Android. However they need to ensure they have no major newsworthy faults with BB10, and they need more software on the store (although the Android compatability layer will negate many issues potential users will have).

Nokia however is doomed. Threw it all away.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: RIM can still recover, Nokia ... not so much

I doubt I am the only person out there who dislikes in-app adverts. Blackberry is a track-free experience on the whole, and the clunky phones are hugely customisable. Even my cheapo Playbook (on which this is being typed) is actually very nice to use. RIM has suffered badly from simply falling out of fashion. But its products have their good points, like the multitasking, HDMI out and magnetic charger connector on the PB

14. Derezed
    Alert

Best thing...

...I did was ditch my Whackberry.

Zero apps.

Tacky handset (I went for the Pearl which lacked the only thing that makes the Whackberry in any way bearable, i.e. a QWERTY keyboard).

Cack browsing

Cack apps that DO exist

"pull the battery" out mentality to serious system flaws (meaning no wakey, wakey if using it for an alarm clock).

While I would love to spend time organising riots (like dem kids on da BBM though), or bashing my head against the wall as the BB service shuts down again, I will stick with my FAIL of an HTC smart phone. While it's touch screen is crap, it crashes now and then and it's a bit pants, at least it works.

The other day I saw a Whackberry tablet. It had some error message with a retro exclamation mark in triangle (here's one I made earlier) <- and some message about a "host not found". I thought that just about summed Whackberry up. Roll on the end for that failed company,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Best thing...

I don't see how

touch screen is crap + crashes now and then + is a bit pants = works

bit like saying my car is awesome!! cept the power windows don't work every now and then - it won't start if it thinks the wrong key is in the ignition and won't reset for half an hour to try again - occasionally the brakes need to be pumped a few times before it stops but its random so no way to tell until you try to use them.

Sounds like justifying crap because it replaced crap... still ends up being crap.

(Had an HTC Magic+ - worked great... if the battery didn't go flat prematurely... and the mic actually turned on when you made a call... and you could recieve calls if it decided to actually realize it was still full strength on the nework)

2. AJ MacLeod

Re: Best thing...

I'm not sure exactly which phone you're talking about, but your claimed experience bears no resemblance to mine (with the 9105.)

The default browser maybe isn't all that fantastic, though it's very usable - I have Opera just in case, though hardly ever have to resort to it.

I have 17 apps installed (actually quite surprised I have that many, but just counted them) - they cover everything I want quite nicely, from SSH client to Google Maps to Dilbert.

My phone is without doubt the most reliable and flexible alarm I've ever used and has never once failed to wake me as planned, for several years now. The phone itself is at least as reliable and actually works even better as a phone than the two (also excellent) Nokia bricks which I used over the previous decade.

All of which makes me more disappointed that there's not likely to be a replacement available when this one finally dies :-(

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like