back to article The Z-Factor: Meet the Simon Cowell of Linux

Canonical chief Mark Shuttleworth - a friend and my former boss at Canonical - has never had much love for rival Linux vendor Red Hat. So when he labelled Red Hat Enterprise Linux "legacy" technology during his keynote at LinuxCon in Barcelona, Spain, this week, aligning it with Solaris' faded glory, it was perhaps not …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The BigYin

RedHat...legacy?

Pfft. That's just something to get a few headlines.

Here, Mark me lad. How's about getting a few OEM deals so we can buy Ubuntu pre-installed in the UK. You know, that country where you are based?

2. Hayden Clark Silver badge
    Unhappy

How about actually making Ubuntu work?

Get rid of that Unity bollocks, for starters. I actually installed it on a netbook. With no "netbook remix" available, you're forced to use Unity on an 800x480 screen. And guess what? It's complete pants. With the old app classifications gone, unless you know what, say, the image editor is called, you can't find it unless you scroll through a list of every single installed application.

Oh, and re-instate support of the kind of elderly hardware that folks can recycle with Linux!

1. J 3
      Linux

Re: How about actually making Ubuntu work?

Just because you don't know how to use it it does not mean it doesn't work. If you don't know/remember what the image editor is called, write "image editor", or even just "ima", and you get a list of image related programs with pretty obvious descriptions. But yeah, categories are gone, and that sure is not to everyone's taste. I say good riddance, because back then the struggle many times was to remember, or hunt down, in which category some more obscure program you needed would be. At least with Linux we have options for every taste -- which some will promptly say is Linux's limiting factor, but that's another can of penguins.

2. Fatman

Re: Unity

On EVERY new Ubuntu install I am responsible for, that clusterfuck called "Unity" gets ripped out.

On a desktop it is an abomination!!!!

For one group of (l)users, I installed the "XP-theme" fakery, and even got confirmed WindblowZE (l)users not to realize it wasn't WindblowZE!!!

God, did some of those fanboys shit a brick when I revealed that they were using Linux.

3. lsatenstein

Yes, Canonical is jealous of RedHat.

I run 4 distributions on my desktop computer. Two of them are Fedora (32bit and 64bit), and two of them are Ubuntu (32 and 64bit). I also have windows.

When installing any version of UBUNTU, the installer will never build a grub.cfg that includes Fedora, or Centos.

I wondered if this is a bug, but now that I read the opening comments about Canonical, I realize it was intentional.

After installing Ubuntu, I run grub-mkconfig >/tmp/grub.cfg. I checked this grub.cfg out and it was complete. It included RedHat versions as well.

Fedora, Centos, Red Hat derivitaves developers don't lose any sleep about this.

4. PAT MCCLUNG

Clerk

Shuttleworth, Canonical and Ubuntu are a plague on Linux.

5. Captain Underpants
    Unhappy

*Sigh*

Yeah, Red Hat's legacy technology, which is why they've got an actual revenue stream from enterprise customers as well as a community-supported freebie version where all the bleeding-edge dev work goes, which gets updated every 6 months.

It's sad to see someone attempt to be a Linux advocate by crapping on other mainstream and commercially viable strains of Linux.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like