back to article O2 to save the British High Street ... with money-off vouchers

O2 is opening its free voucher scheme to every small retailer in the UK, even those which aren't O2 customers, as long as they're not franchised from a megacorp and have a high-street presence. The free scheme, which allows retailers to offer money-off vouchers to O2 customers, was launched in July, but was only available to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Waspy
    FAIL

Yawn...another ill-fated attempt by a telco to be anything to consumers but a data pipe and a phone leasing solution. Honestly, there are three things that punters care about, 1) having a decent signal and data connection on the network they choose 2) being able to get an expensive phone on loan with a 'reasonable' cost and suitable airtime/data (although getting a phone this way is marginally more expensive and locks you in for ages but people seem happy enought to sign away) 3) good customer service when things go tits up. That's it.

Consumers couldn't give a shit about anything else the telcos do, they are simply another utility, and the quicker these companies realise that this is heir fate since they bottled it and screwed up the first time round, with high data rates and near useless services (remember the awful walled gardens with shit news, crappy java games and ringtones, after the promise of 'full internet access'?), the quicker they can stop spending money on this crap. Then we might see some quality investments in the networks and cheaper contracts.

1. tommy060289

You may have a point, except...

with the exception of three virtually all the mobile companies offer the exact same service at the same price bands. Just look at the iPhone, there is virtually no price discrimination across o2, vodafone and orange. most other phones are largely the same.

Network access is also starting to become less of an issue with the merging of networks like orange and T-mobile and im sure this wont be last merger

and why the hell would I want to 'loan' a phone when I can get one free with a subsidising contract or I can buy the phone upfront and get a cheap contract anyway! Giff and three both offer excellent sim-only deals, the other providers....not so much. At least then I actually own the phone and its not like you cant sell them or pass them to youngsters/elders when your done. I really dont see how loaning a phone is honestly going to change pricing structure by anything worth while

1. Danny 14

Re: You may have a point, except...

indeed. People also forget that you can buy a phone upfront and look at a 0% credit card transfer for that amount (with charge) and pay that off over whatever time you had your contract. Then you get to pick and choose your SIM only when new deals come out.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like