back to article Facebook offers just a week of free Android AV

Facebook has extended its security program, adding another seven vendors to the list of folks offering free anti-virus software through its AV Marketplace and also including Android security products for the first time. But one of the Android malware zappers, McAfee’s Mobile Security, is free for just seven days, a far shorter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

After experience of Facebook - no thanks

After experience of McAffee - no thanks^2

1. Steve Evans

Re: Meh

Agreed! 7 days with mcafee would feel like a life time!

1. steve876
        Thumb Up

Re: Meh

Actually, Mcafee Mobile Security was one of only three anti-malware solutions for Android that had >90% detection rate for all tested malware families. F-Secure and Kaspersky were the only other two from the 41 tested that achieved the same detection rates.

2. nuked
    Holmes

Surely tightening their near-illegal privacy policy would yield better results?

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

...better results?

Baby steps!

I always thought Facebook's security posture could only get better. I am, however, surprised that it has.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good or bad the free version of Lookout Mobile Security Is good enough for me on my Android phone. Actually it does more than what I would expect out of a free AV app.

4. Justin 9
    FAIL

Use AVG on my Android Mobe

I would never put Norton or McAfee on a PC unless you want it as slow as a computer from 1986. I expect these mobile packages would do the same for you mobe.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Use AVG on my Android Mobe

After experiencing the supposed benefits of AVG (And the gratuitous bloody marketing that came with it) I'd never have considered it for Android.

Om my PC it was nearly as awful as McAfee

5. Khaptain Silver badge
    Happy

Lambs to the slaughter

I wonder how many FB users actually know what an AV actually does ? other than "eventually / hopefully" generate a bit of cash for Captain Zuck et al..

6. dssf

hehehe

"emitted", hehehehe

7. g e
    Holmes

Who cares

Google are doing their own aren't they?

I'll take Google over Failbook any day regardless of respective shortcomings.

8. Buzzword

"Facebook launched the AV Marketplace back in April..."

I'm a regular Facebook user, but this is the first I've heard of it. They certainly haven't promoted it, at least not in the UK.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like