back to article Intel pushes Atom-fueled storage for homes, SMB

Intel is pushing its Cedar Trail Atom D2550 and D2500 processors as the power behind a range of network-attached storage (NAS) systems aimed at small business and power home users. "The amount of data being created in the home and by small businesses is bloating," said David Tuhy, GM of Intel's storage division at a Thursday …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mad Chaz
    FAIL

Minimum IT knowledge for El'Reg?

"The NAS could then either be accessed online via a password-protected HTML IP address"

What's an HTML IP address exactly? And here I was sure that elreg had writers that at least had a basic grasp of IT.

1. Goat Jam
      FAIL

Re: Minimum IT knowledge for El'Reg?

Not to mention this gem;

"and a software-based RAID to make sure that data is safely backed up"

Anybody who thinks that RAID (let alone "software RAID" <spit>) is a "backup" needs to get a job that does not involve IT.

1. Volker Hett

Depends. I do use something close to this as my backup device and it has mirrored disks. Tape backup is too cumbersome and too expensive for home use, isn't it?

1. Mike Flex

> Tape backup is too cumbersome and too expensive for home use, isn't it?

The important thing is that RAID isn't a substitute for backup. Problems with your RAID system or just the traditional software or finger troubles can still zap the data on a RAID system. So you still need to backup your RAID data somewhere else. For home use that may well be to an external hard disk or two rather than tape.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OS?

What the best OS for a non-expert home user? Whilst some us might explore a flavour of Linux distro, I've seen the now-discontinued Windows Home Server present itself in a clear way (though never tested in anger), as it comes with software for the client Windows machines to create incremental images and selective by-folder backups, and to monitor the server. For the person who isn't inclined to learn about backups (but their casual 'IT consultant' insists they do it), polished Windows-centric software is probably going to add at least £30 to the server's price.

In terms of catering to the non-expert user, Apple's 'Time Machine' presents a very good 'physical metaphor' for what it's up to.

My above comments are about the UI of the solution... if the novice user doesn't use them, it matters not how well they function when the shit hits the fan// reading head hits the platter.

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons
      Thumb Up

Non-expert home users shouldn't need to worry about what OS it's running. Like mass-market Blu-ray players, media streamers and washing machines, they should simply be seen as appliances that do the job they're asked to do with the simplest interface and best reliability. The end user shouldn't need to know/care whether it's Linux, Windows or some custom beast.

In the case of a NAS, it depends on the features required, but in all cases, there needs to be a well documented backup mechanism, whether cloud based, or a USB hard disk or another PC/storage device. As someone else has put it - RAID is not backup, it's just better resilience.

3. Random K
    FAIL

Wow...

This is the most technically inept article I've seen in years (maybe a decade). Anywhere. Nothing personal, but Iain Thomson clearly needs to either find a new gig or apologize for slapping his/her name on an article his/her grandmother threw together after reading an Intel press release. I'm fairly certain you could find Amish who could do a better job. At least that would be forgivable. For shame El Reg, for shame.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Wow...

"I'm fairly certain you could find Amish who could do a better job."

QoTW. I tip my hat to you for that.

4. K

Field of dreams

Build it yourself, and they will surely come... Get a case with Hotswap drives, 6TB (4x1.5TB), 16Gb RAM, i3 CPU.. for the marvellous price of £300-£350. Take your pick of OS, personally I went for ESX then slapped on a couple of VMs, but you could just as easily go for FreeNAS etc.

If you don't want to get your hands dirty, buy yourself a HP MicroServer for £150..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Field of dreams

Watch out with VMware licences.

Player's been free (zero cost, even for commercial use) for ages.

Now, with V5, it isn't free for commercial use.

Who knows what games they will play with ESX?

I believe it's called "drug dealer tactics".

2. Flaco Dude
      Headmaster

Re: Field of dreams

4x4TB=16TB, e.g. HGST IDK Deskstar 4 TB Internal hard drive Serial ATA-600 3.5" 7200 rpm H3IK40003272SP

5. Neil 7

HP N40L Micrososervers

...are the dogs doodahs for a home/small office NAS - £120 after £100 cashback. There really is little point (and certainly no money to be saved) from building your own unless you're not happy with the compute power of the AMD dual-core processor which is more than capable of saturating a GigE network connection.

Upgrade the RAM to 8GB (about £30 these days), slap on FreeNAS or NAS4Free (both utilise ZFS which is a very cool file system), pop in a bunch of hard disks, boot from a 2GB memory stick and Bob is your uncle, Fanny your aunt...

1. Matt_payne666

Re: HP N40L Micrososervers

Ive got a HPMicroserver and a Qnap Atom based 2U nas and the Qnap runs rings round the HP when under load.

The Qnap saves time, it slots right into a rack and is up and running in minutes integrated into AD with ISCSI and Timemachine support too.

2. Christian Berger

Re: HP N40L Micrososervers

One should note that the HPs can use ECC RAM, which is a good idea for a server, particularly since the price difference between non-ECC and ECC RAM is tiny.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like crap to me

If you want a server with really lousy performance, go ahead, buy one, you'll never notice, cause, hey, you're just a home user and we all know home users don't need real performance .. at least for 5 years, or so, kinda, maybe, we're pretty sure, I think.

The Hp N40L is pretty good and the CriKit MicroServer smokes if you need a compact Xeon machine with more memory http://www.crikit.info. Acer had one too, but not sure where it went. Expect a lot more MicroServers to hit the market in the next 6 months.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would anybody want a NAS that runs on a powerhungry Atom? Just make these things with a nice ARM chip instead.

1. Gary Walker

Agreed - the only reason the Atom seems OK is that it's a very weak processor, and even Intel can build one that doesn't need 100w to achieve that. An i3 might peak in power, but would've done the work in a fraction the time, taming the power bill and feeding your data much more snappily..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like