back to article Google-Moto slips out of Microsoft's grapple in German court wrestle

Googorola has scored another win against Microsoft in Germany, as a Mannheim court decided that the ads'n'mobes conglom didn't infringe on one of Redmond's patents. Specifically the regional court said on Friday that Moto products didn't infringe on Microsoft's patent that allows apps to work on different phones. "This …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shagbag

"Motorola won a ban on Xboxes that ended up blocked by a US court"

This FUD.

A US Court has no jurisdiction in Germany. Just like a German Court cannot impose an "EU-Wide" ban.

I don't know where these "journalists" went to school but it wouldn't surprise me if their lecturer was #1 irrelevance Florian Mueller.

1. ratfox

Re: "Motorola won a ban on Xboxes that ended up blocked by a US court"

Nevertheless, an American judge can apparently order Motorola not to have enforced a ban ruled in Germany. At least, the ban has not been enforced, and I doubt that Motorola would be so merciful if they could help it…

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not FUD.

A US court does not have jurisdiction in Germany but it does have power over a US company headquartered gloablly in the US. If a US court tells a US company in a US court to play nice in the EU, then that caompnay has to comply or face the courts in he US. That side of it has nothing to do with the German courts.

1. Ron 6
        Devil

The only thing I can see being done is for M$ to ship the boxes to Germany. Which then seizes them. The question then becomes, what will be done with the Xboxes:

1) Destroy them at customs?

2) Put them in customs storage? (If so, at who's cost?)

3) Send them back to M$ in the USA?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

???

"Microsoft's patent that allows apps to work on different phones."

Any more details on this? I assume its some sort of abstraction layer patent or something equally crap.

3. mark l 2 Silver badge

Allowing apps to work on different phone, surely JavaME which has been around on feature phones for years already allows an app to run on different phones. So unless the patent was granted a while ago there is plenty of prior art on this one anyway

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like