back to article Man takes old iPhone box, builds film camera

Most iPhone owners probably just chucked the handset's box in the bin seconds after leaving the shop. Not designer Scot Hampton - instead, he turned Apple's packaging into a film camera. iHole Scot Hampton's iHole camera Hampton’s dubbed his design the iHole and describes it as “a revolutionary analogue photographic device …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Geoff Thompson
    Thumb Up

Roll Film

Nice article, but it is a roll film camera using 120 film, 60mm not 35mm, just for the record

2. James Dodd

35mm Film?

yea, actually its 120 Film.

Interesting that don't really mention pinhole photography either.

You can make a camera just out of about anything...

Lego, Spam cans, matchbox's etc...

3. nick turner
    Happy

impressive

he made a 35mm camera using medium format film!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

rubbish

If this guy saved his money and didn’t buy an iPhone he could have purchased a proper camera. There was no need for this guy to show us how stupid he was twice, just telling us he bought the iPhone would have sufficed. Thumbs up for the effor though

5. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

In case people didn't notice...

The sample photograph in the article is a X-eyed 3D image, by the way.

6. P
    Stop

Uhhh ... No.

I am an amateur photographer, and I am pretty sure that any film marked '120' does not go into any camera marked '35mm' - that is a medium format, pinhole camera and not a 35mm (which refers to film frame size).

7. Lotaresco

<sigh> The youth of today

That's not 35mm film, that's 120 roll film. Typical of the iPod/Wkipedia GenY market that they can't tell the difference.

8. sig
    Coat

It's not a 35mm film camera.

It's a 120 format film camera. Or a 60mm film camera. Or a 2 1/2 inch film camera.

9. Stuart Morrison
    Coat

Register Hardware’s not convinced it’s revolutionary..

You turn, or 'revolve' the handle to make it work.

It must, therefore, be a revolutionary design.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

10. lee harvey osmond

Box brownie

... I myself would be loading that device with something cheaper than Ilford pro film stock.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Slow news day?

I am so bored of the flipping iPhone. It seems even its box is news worthy. Would this be on the reg if it had been built out of any other peice of folded card?

I used to make cardboard cameras about 15 years ago as a kid. This is about as revolutionary as making a wheel out of wood.

12. Trygve Henriksen
    Paris Hilton

120 / 135 Ilford.

Heh...

That's the same film I use in my Lubitel camera(which is a cheap, russian, plastic copy of an English Seagull, which is a knock-off of an... )

There's not that many other choices if you work with B/W 120 film and develop yourself.

I use the 135 stock in my Zenit Horizon, though, and no, there's no possibility of mistaking the two formats...

(Not even blindfolded... Or in a completely dark room... )

Paris Hilton because she likes having her photo taken...

13. Giles Jones Gold badge

Box

Who would throw the box away? Apple's packaging is attractive in itself.

Plus when you come to sell things, having the box is an advantage.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@osmond : cheap b&w films

As an avid b&w shooter myself, I'd love to know what cheap film brand you're advocating, because 'pro' ilford films are not really at the top of the price range. I mourn my apx and stock every roll I can grab, but the market has shrunk so much I'm happy everytime I find a shop which still stock true b&w film, any brand. Most of the time you find only c-41 chromogenic b&w, and it's a major PITA to work with in my cheap lab.

15. Kevin Mullet

well, I for one think it's neat.

boy -- a bunch of sourpusses on the net today.

I, for one, think it's wonderful to take something with a huge digital footprint and make something wonderfully analog out of it.

-KwM-

16. Mark Jan
    Jobs Horns

Camera Upgrade?

So, the box the iPhone came in takes a better picture than the iPhone itself. And here was everyone waiting for an upgraded iPhone with a better camera and 3G. The camera upgrade was there all the time!

The 3G bit might need the advanced Blue Peter course though...

17. Hedley Phillips

Not a waste of money

So the iPhone is good for something after all.

I take it all back.

18. Karl Lattimer

making a wheel out of wood

was far more revolutionary in its day

19. This post has been deleted by its author

20. Robert Feldman

1/2 Gigapixel camera

You are wrong in saying"despite the obvious lack of any megapixels." BW film has a resolution of about 200 lines per mm, which translates to about 100 megapixels for each square inch, or about 500 megapixels for the iHole's 120 film.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Sheesh...

Ignoring the fact I made one of these out of a shoebox aged 9 (I was 9, not the shoebox), I'm wondering why people are getting riled up about this?...

Incidentally, to all the "megapixel" aficionados - you realise pixel count isn't the be all and end all?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

title

An iHole for an aHole. nuff said

23. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Will we be seeing...

... an Apple Macro?

24. Jason Aspinall
    Dead Vulture

IKEA?

Am I correct in saying IKEA have had dibs in this "design" too? Looking at the first image of this contraption, that allen key looks suspiciously like something you'd get in a flat pack....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like