back to article Snack-slinging robot restores faith in Yankee ingenuity

The Consumer Electronics Association is concerned about America's future. "The culture of entrepreneurship and relentless innovation has made America home to the greatest advances in technology," they argue. "But today, that culture is under threat." The CEA's leadership has not, it appears, had the good fortune of visiting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

American entrepreneurial spirit is only exceeded...

...by the greed of Chinese IP pirates

I fully expect the Popinator to be produced in Shenzen with no royalties paid to the naive originators of the idea.

Arrrr!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: American entrepreneurial spirit is only exceeded...

Only in America would someone invent a machine that shoots out pop corn.

Another reason never to leave the sofa, eating popcorn whilst drinking from a nearby gallon coke dispenser.

No wonder there are so many fat people there.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: A quick search

Shows they failed to patent this. So no worries, the idea is free to be used.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: A quick search

"Shows they failed to patent this."

I think that's because it isn't their idea.

There was a Uk show (gadget geeks?) that designed and built a prototype hot-dog launcher at a speedway circuit or something. You basically texted it your seat number and it shot it at you from about 100 yards away.

Limited success :) but the idea was there.

2. JeevesMkII
    Angel

Make one that dispenses skittles...

... and I'll be first in line.

1. Blitterbug
      Devil

Re: Make one that dispenses skittles...

...Oi! You could 'ave someone's eye out with that!

2. ravenviz Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Make one that dispenses skittles...

Peanut M&M's for me!

3. Aaron Em

Would work better

Skittles are much more aerodynamically predictable than popcorn, after all. I should know -- I did my master's thesis on that very subject.

3. skeptical i
    Pint

No mention of the Tuxedo Chocolate popcorn?

Dark and white chocolate drizzled popcorn, yum! No, really -- I thought "eww" when I first saw it but to their credit, they do it nicely and it's really tasty. Would make a mess of the crackerjaculator, though. :p

«-- popcorn's always better with beer

1. Swarthy
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: No mention of the Tuxedo Chocolate popcorn?

I gotta give you a upvote for "crackerjaculator"

<-- and a bill for a new keyboard.

2. h 6
      Thumb Up

Re: No mention of the Tuxedo Chocolate popcorn?

Your newly coined word "crackerjaculator" has scored you a whopping big hit of 2 links found by all of Google. Both of them refer to this article.

Well done.

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Go

Salted peanuts.

That's what it needs, peanuts.

But even though popcorn tastes like expanded polystyrene, I *still* want one!

5. Tom 7

Made a non voice controlled one many years ago

you cant be accurate with popcorn over any reasonable distances - and this thing is within arm reach and you could have got a good fistfull and be back reclining faster than this delivered.

I am however selling a voice controlled disruptor air jet for anyone in an office who has a colleague who purchases one....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Insert paintballs and change the voice trigger..

.. and you have the best home defence system a geek can buy. Or change the trigger to "f*ck" and encourage your kids to expand their vocabulary instead (that's the theory, in reality, hey will stand behind you and then swear :) ).

And, of course, you'll do this in a place that needs redecorating anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Insert paintballs and change the voice trigger..

http://youtu.be/E28-9zH1nSM

For your enjoyment

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lawyers dream?

How long before the personal injury court cases start - hit in eye, choked on piece hitting back of throat, etc. ?

8. Arctic fox
    Joke

"binaural popcorn delivery system"?

Has this got something to do with delivering the popcorn to both ears at once?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That popcorn turret looks like a toy for the birds.

10. Tim 64

Two words

Popcorn Chicken

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yorkie?

Anybody want to bet on how long until somebody's dog discovers how to modulate a bark to be "close enough" to "pop" to trigger this?

12. jake Silver badge

It's a hoax, people.

Turns out it's all camerawork & remote control. The thing doesn't work as advertised. The film was made to get !GooMyFaceYouMSTwit hits. Don't feed the trolls.

1. Tom 35

Re: It's a hoax, people.

just watching it I figured it was fake. They never show it making two shots in one take, and looking at the empty one there is no way for the popcorn to get from the bin up to the "gun".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No...it may well not be

You can see the feed tube near the bottom of the box in the photo. I once saw a system to deliver tablets to a testing machine that used compressed air, and I'm guessing this is how it works; suction draws popcorn into the tube (perhaps with a little vibration to reduce blockages) and when an optical sensor detects popcorn at the base of the feed unit, it is blown up.

The acoustic sensing is perfectly feasible. An ARM processor is easily able to deal with the processing required.

My guess is that it isn't real only because the air tank and compressor are quite large and external to the unit.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: No...it may well not be

Yes, it is a hoax. As reported by the news station KGO7 (one of two good news stations local to ElReg's SF office) a full 9 days before ElReg "broke" the story. See:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/bizarre&id=8818328

2. Richard Ball

Re: It's a hoax, people.

Yes. Two microphones won't give enough location information to do what this appears to do.

Nice film though, good model and good marketing.

13. Ralph B
    Black Helicopters

DARPA Interested?

No need to weaponize it - popcorn is already a deadly product of the American "food" industry.

1. jake Silver badge

Evolution in action. (was: Re: DARPA Interested?)

What kind of mouth-breather buys this shit, anyway?[1] I mean, seriously, store-bought pre-popped popcorn and store-bought microwaveable popcorn? WHY? It's not exactly rocket-science to pop it on your own stove-top, and flavo(u)r it to your own taste ... or, if away from your kitchen, in the nearest microwave with homemade pre-flavo(u)red microwavable pouches. It's a hell of a lot cheaper, too ... especially if you purchase the kernels from bulk bins. Don't know how? Try searching TehIntraWebTubes[tm]; I'm sure somebody has a page or two on the subject.

[1] Probably the same idiots who buy figs at markets at this time of year (a little later, persimmons & quince) in the SF Bay Area ... or the complete morons who actually pay for bay/laural/myrtal leaves.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Evolution in action. (was: DARPA Interested?)

Nurse!

jake needs his meds!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

mmmMaltesers...

15. Mark Reed
    Go

Bacon Sarnie Launcher?

In our office we could really use a Bacon Sarnie Launcher, one for the Reg SPB?

16. cortland

It seems, though

that there IS a kernel of truth to the article.

So to speak.

No butter, please.

This topic is closed for new posts.