back to article 3G Google Nexus 7 inbound

Asus is ramping up production of a 3G-enabled Google Nexus 7, it has been claimed. Citing a "well placed insider", website Modaco says the cellular-connectable tablet will launch in roughly six weeks' time. Google Nexus 7 Android tablet Beyond the incorporation of an HSPA radio, the Nexus 7 3G will be essentially identical …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

nano sim...

doesnt apple have a patent on the nano sim?.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: nano sim...

Think everybody in the telco market has a patent in some technology or another, with SIM's it's about standards and in that there is FRAND, either way somebody will have some patent and they will get paid a token amount.

Sad when we look at things that the direction were going in, probably have a weekly Top 40 patent chart soon - be nice to see and watch which patents make the most for which artists erm I mean companies.

2. MikeyD85

I'd be tempted by a 3G N7 on a contract. Considering the device is so cheap anyway, the contracts should be pretty nice, certainly no more than £15/month for at least 1GB of data.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh great, just as the world (and me) has gone out and bought the wifi one, Google releases the one many of us would have gone for in the first place.

Anyone wanna buy a wifi-only Nexus 7?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

WiFi Only

I initially thought that, but in reality I always have my phone with me and WiFi/Bluetooth tethering is so easy that it doesn't make sense to have two separate contracts/SIMs.

So in reality I would actually prefer to only have one data access device (the phone) with the other (the tablet) tethered to it.

Just my use-case obviously.

1. Rob
        Go

Re: WiFi Only

Ditto, I'd be tethering my phone too. I'm hoping this news will pop a few cheaper WiFi Nexus 7's on to the market as I was about to buy one.

1. Luke McCarthy

The only problem I have with that is my phone's battery dies really quickly when it's in wifi hotspot mode, so I just tend to avoid using the Nexus 7 outside of wifi range unless I really need to.

2. Spudbynight

Problem is my phone is normally flat after about 7pm....

2. DrXym

I expect most Nexus owners already have a phone in their pocket capable of tethering. I've never understood the attraction of paying through the nose for a 3G enabled version and the mess and expense of managing multiple data plans.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

let me explain

simply:

tethering

eats

battery

in

no

time

this is just one reason, and not the only one.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Oh great, just as the world (and me) has gone out and bought the wifi one, Google releases the one many of us would have gone for in the first place."

Don't worry - Apple will slap an injunction on this when they reveal that they've patented the method of releasing a sequence of incrementatl products over a period of time to cause people to make multiple purchases!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why then buy the Wi-Fi one in the first place? It's not as if there aren't any other decent Android 7" 3G tablets on the market. As decent as the Nexus 7 is I didn't buy it because of the lack of 3G and the lack of an SD card slot.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I still have my wi-fi one under the 28 day no quibble guarantee.

Perhaps it should go back and I will be able to get what I really wanted in the first place.

Why didn't they release this on day one, I am sure I am not the only one who was waiting for it.

And no I don't have a smart phone I can tether it to.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hold on.....

.....it's black, it has a screen, it even has bloody corners. Right, i'm telling Apple!!

5. Dropper

Cool

Very cool device, but I hope they remembered that Apple invented squares and rectangles.

6. gregkelly1985
    Paris Hilton

The big question

is how much? Putting £100 on top of a £160 starting price would be far too steep.

7. JimPMM

Don't get the need for 3G-enabled tablets

Surely the vast majority of people would (like myself) use their phone as a WiFi hotspot for their WiFi-only tablet device on the very very rare occasion they're out and about and desperately need internet connectivity on it...? I for one would much rather do that than have yet another contract to pay for, especially as there's no difference in the speed of connection I do get / would get.

8. Laurent_Z
    Boffin

Ditch the 3G

and just put a microSD slot in the darn thing !

9. Steve Evans

3G enabled...

I can't help but be amused at the idea of an N7 with a SIM... If it's not limited to data only, and supports voice, you can all look like Dom Joly!

BTW, I'm completely happy with my non-3G 16gig N7. Still got 12gig free because I remembered it isn't an mp3 player!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DSR

Would far Rather have a3g device than have the hassle of recharging my phone twice a day or risk having my phone go flat

Considering returning my week old nexus 7 under distance selling regs. But I have gotten used to having it around now.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

use case

Regarding the need for a3g device,I spend 3 hours a day commuting. Notcommon, but there are few of us about.

12. pullenuk

Good idea as people who saying what the point soon find out that running it off your phone 3g connection means charging your phone up more than once a day. My xoom got 3g and i find it very useful, my phone keeps charge all day and my xoom keeps charge for a week. It uses less battery on 3g than wifi.

So this is a great idea.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does it come with a tube of glue so you can stick the screen back together when it comes off?

Also, being Google branded don't expect any customer service unless you go to the national media about it.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/07/27/nexus-7-flaws/

14. Richard Lloyd
    FAIL

Confused why you'd ever want 3G on a tablet

So let me see:

* The 3G version will cost a lot more than the non-3G.

* 3G data limits are chronically low - a typical monthly quota of 1GB can be used in under 2 hours, especially if you stream video. Once you exceed your limit, you'll either get cut off, throttled massively down or have to pay a fortune for exceeding the limits - none of which are desirable.

* If you really must use 3G, it's possible you can tether it to your mobile anyway.

So, really, 3G on a tablet makes no sense especially if you have a mobile phone already (two SIMs, two contracts or PAYGs, two data plans to potentially exceed), so I'll stick with my SIM-less N7 plus an HTC mobile should I need to tether to 3G in emergencies.

1. offal

Re: Confused why you'd ever want 3G on a tablet

So let me answer

I don't care about the extra cost (unless it's over £100 then I might)

I would never use 3g to stream video

I tend to use 3g data for a couple of hours a working day (unless you are doing something stupid you won't exceed data allowances)

Using 3g on my phone ruins the battery. (not to mention making it hot enough to melt my face if I want to make a call) A tablet usually has a better battery, is used for a few hours a day - but I need my phone to be available at all times.

So 3g on a tablet (for me) makes sense. If you already own a device a sim only plan with generous enough data allowances doesn't cost that much. Two parallel contracts is no harder to run that one.

In short, to everyone who can't see the point of a 3g device. You aren't everyone.

15. stuartnz
    Thumb Up

Choice is good

When I was looking at buying my first Nexus 7, I was disappointed that it didn't have 3G. Once I did buy it, and found how well it worked tethered to my phone, I realised that for me, 3G is unnecessary. I won't embarrass myself by revealing how much data plans cost up here in Aotearoa, but since I work from home and thus am mostly on WiFi, tethering my Nexus 7 lets me use more of the 1GB that I already pay through my olfactory orifice for. My wife finds the same - since she can't use it at work, she mostly uses her Nexus 7 at home too, and can tether when needed

That said, I am pleased that Google is expanding the range to cater for those who DO need 3G. I don't feel cheated or that I missed out by getting WiFi only, because it suits my needs, just like my WiFi only Kindle does. For those with different circumstances, 3G will no doubt add considerably to the appeal of the Nexus 7. Well done Google!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like