back to article Mystery virus attack blows Qatari gas giant RasGas offline

A mystery virus has infected the network of Qatar's natural gas pumper RasGas, prompting bosses to pull the plug on the biz's internet connection. Office systems have been unusable since the malware struck on 27 August, according to local reports. In a fax to suppliers, the company reportedly said: "RasGas is presently …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DragonKin37
    Alert

I wonder

Some one on the other side gulf is doing it for the Lulz?

1. Psyx
      Pirate

Re: I wonder

They're doing it because Iran has found a way of screwing over its neighbours that doesn't involve simply handing explosives and RPGs to people.

2. Nightkiller

Arab Spring?

Seems to me to be just another round of tribal warfare in the good ol' Arabian peninsula.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

1. Tom 13

Re: Arab Spring?

Not quite. In this case it would be

"Meet the new boss, worse than the old boss."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ho humm

To bad it wasn't ARAMCO in Saudi Arabia, would enjoy seeing those beetards feel some pain.

1. Snot Nice
      FAIL

Muppet

See title.

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Why?

There seems to be a steady ramping up of these attacks. You'd think that, just maybe, organisations might look around and come to the conclusion that they should review their security.

They seem to be worse than ostriches.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why?

On the other hand, at least this demonstrates that they are sensible enough to keep their control and administration networks separate.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No system is ever secure, just more or less secure than others. Targeted attacks, especially state sponsored (or at least organizations large enough so they could be considered states) ones. Frankly, I'm not thinking Iran in this case, but a fair bit farther west, and north. They were getting more and more thuggish under Bush. The rate of increasing thuggishness has only increased under Obama.

1. Psyx
        Stop

That makes zero sense, though.

America wants cheap oil. Buggering up the companies that sell them oil is not the way to achieve that.

5. Rick Giles
    Linux

Yawn

When are people going to wise up and dump Windows?

6. Dylan Fahey
    Facepalm

I'm LMAO

It's the 21st Century, the year 2012, and the company just FAXED their customers...

You've got to be shitting me, faxes .

This topic is closed for new posts.