back to article Big brains gather to ponder future of UK security

A group of high-profile political, academic, and military heavyweights will come together over the next 18 months to ponder the future direction of UK security strategy. The independent Commission on National Security in the 21st Century will be co-chaired by two well-known peers of the realm. First up is former special-forces …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gary

Whose security?

I am not too keen on the remark about us not being afraid to become involved in conflicts around the world. It seems to me, with our ever increasing influx of "non-indigenous" persons,not all, or even many, of whom can be well disposed toward us (That's the good guys!!!) that we should commit our ever shrinking and ill equipped Armed Forces to conflicts around the world,when they may well be needed HERE! How many Police Armed Response Teams do we have, anyway. Surely, the time has come for the boom to come down,and the drawbridge to go up,( not the reverse order) And no,I do NOT give a rat's posterior for the suffering millions, except those who arre doing so in THIS country.(Ie Britain) .

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Ever shrinking and ill equipped Armed Forces..."

So is this a bad time to tell you that the present 140,000 police officers in England & Wales will shrink to as few as 80,000 in five years time, as thousands of officers reach their 30-year retirement each year over that period, having joined in the boom years after the 1978 Edmund Davies Report into police pay and conditions?

Why do you think all the CSOs and Highways Agency Traffic Officers ("HATOs") are being feverishly recruited now, and why the Met is so desperate to recruit thousands of volunteer Special Constables for the 2012 Olympics..?

This topic is closed for new posts.