back to article Ageing star sucked retinue member to death, evidence indicates

Astroboffins have spotted the first evidence of a happily digesting red giant star that recently devoured one of its planets, one of the many apocalyptic fates that could happen here on Earth. Researchers peering through the Hobby-Eberly Telescope realised what the greedy star, known as BD+48 740, had done when they saw a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BorkedAgain
    Thumb Up

Nice headline!

Interesting article, but top prize for the headline and sub-head. Classy. :)

1. TRT Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Nice headline!

Indeed. I was all geared up to find out if that Marc Almond rumour was true or not.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

'Ageing star sucked retinue member to death, evidence indicates'

Paris???

3. Annihilator
    Coat

Hubble excels itself

Either Hubble's far more impressive than I'd ever realised or you forgot to tag that picture as an artist's impression :-)

4. Ketlan
    WTF?

Big news indeed!

'Ageing star sucked retinue member to death, evidence indicates'

For some reason, Paul McCartney popped into my head. So to speak. ;-)

5. SwedishCodeMaffia
    Paris Hilton

I expected an article about Britney

and one of her dancers

6. Spoonsinger
    Coat

I blame,

global warming/climate change/weather.

7. Eduard Coli
    Facepalm

Om nom nom

No worries, we will have blown ourselves off of Earth or gone into space by then.

8. Armando 123
    Coat

No one noticed this yet?

This is a story about a star swallowing a planet, and the credit for the artist's conception is:

Credit: NASA/ESA/G. Bacon

Bacon! Something is gobbled quickly and someone named Bacon is involved! Is it April 1 already?

9. DEAD4EVER
    Meh

killer sun eh

hum well if it does happen lets hope I am dead before the earth gets destroyed eh don't fancy get ten fried buy it like terminator where everything on earth just fries judgement day I guess. I know its not quite the same but you get the idea unless your thick of course lol. if this is gonna happen in 2 billion years or whatever it is what about the supposed end of the world in 2012 on December 21st thrown that out the window though I suppose these articles of the end of the world are never accurate.

1. Ragarath

Re: killer sun eh

Those articles say end of the world, not, world detroyed by Sun getting bigger.

I still have yet to choose my random date for the end of the world but it will still probably be more accurate than "those" articles.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like