back to article Netflix puts end to fumbling, penetrates Scandinavia

For the first time in a while Netflix has said something that has not crashed its share price, and has lifted it instead: it plans to launch its online movie service in the fourth quarter in the four countries of Scandinavia – Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland. It confirmed that the cost of doing so will mean that it makes a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kevin7
    FAIL

Do you know anyone that's stayed with Netflix for longer than the trial period? Their UK content looks like the remainders bin - full of terrible, ancient TV shows and films that even ITV 4 has stopped showing. Quite how this is a business is beyond me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

subscribe to unblock us to unlock the US content - much better.

Unfortunately for any streaming service, the good old movie studios have such restrictions in place that on demand services will never get up to date films.

I wish the EU would pick up on this monopoly and order them to release all new content on FRAND basis - this would allow customers to get what they want and also fuel competition.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Netflix + Lovefilm

Netflix seems to be getting better. I find that whatever device I use, it is smooth and quick to load movies. Add unblock-us service and you get access to the US catalogue - vastly superior and I am a happy bunny.

Lovefilm on the other hand is the opposite side of the coin, their on demand apps are rubbish in terms of usability; content is poor and browsing for anything is very slow. The most annoying thing I find with it is not being able to read the whole description of a movie - why they do not scroll the text?

I subscribe to both to get my fix of films / shows and also game rentals but Netflix beats Lovefilm hands down for their ease of use.

3. Edwin
    Headmaster

Scandinavia

is defined as Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

If you want to include Finland, you could say 'the Nordics' though that usually includes Iceland also.

4. Meleth

FYI Finland isn't part of Scandinavia.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

What would you prefer? Fenno-Scandinavia?

C.

1. CCCP
        Headmaster

The headline is fine as (1) they are, indeed, covering Scandinavia and (2) it is pointing the reader in the right general cartographic direction. It's the bit about "the four countries of Scandinavia" which is plain wrong.

Easy fix:

...in the fourth quarter in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was going to do you an elaborate Assange joke but I think I need some coffee instead ;)

But, in this case, Scandinavia is definitely a hobo-humpin' slobo babe! ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2up7su7CeMU

6. Dave 150
    FAIL

"So it is likely that LoveFiLM still has its PR nightmare to go through, if at some stage it copies Netflix and drops the DVD online rental service or at least separates it so that customers can buy just the online service"

LoveFiLM already offer online only service, if the article gets such a simple fact wrong, what hope is there for the rest of the article?

7. Rick Brasche

Dear netflix:

the secret to gaining more customers is not to be *cutting* available online content but to be increasing it.

signed- a 5 year customer whose finding more and more movies and older series are becoming "unavailable" for either disc or stream as time passes.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like