back to article World celebrates System Administrator Appreciation Day

In a tradition started twelve years ago, the IT community is celebrating another global System Administrator Appreciation Day (SAAD), a time to recognize the talents for your favorite BOFH. "Let's be honest, sometimes we don't know our System Administrators as well as they know us. Remember, this is one day to recognize your …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought this was one of those you've got to be kidding moments.....

2. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Pint

Possible correction

It's also known as Sysadmin Appreciation Day. How's the acronym for *that*?

<--Beer, because . . . yeah.

3. zen1
    Pint

Yay me!

Enjoying a nice cold pint and quietly reciting the motto of the ASR: Non ex transverso sed deorsum! Over and over in my head. I raise my mug to my brethern and sistern all over the world! May you be appreciated by even your most clueless and problematic user.

God speed and drink heavily!

4. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Three Cheers for Minty (and minions)!

Thanks for keeping El Reg running. +1 syadmin awesomeness.

5. Random K
    Devil

Hazzah!

Just played the song through the intercom. Scared the hell out of the bean counters. Good times.

6. phuzz Silver badge
    Happy

Well, I'm between jobs this week, but even so, I know that no one else at my old job would have noticed this, so well done to me, and all other loan sysadmins, with no geeky comrades to keep them company.

(next week I start working with a bunch of linux geeks, where I practically had the piss taken out of me in the interview for being a windows nerd [ie, not geeky enough]. I think it's going to be fun :)

1. phuzz Silver badge
    2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You can't be a windows nerd, makes no sense, you can only be a windows bitch, bitch.

1. Katie Saucey
        Meh

Agreed

..but this bitch makes a good living being a bitch.

7. Dann
    Go

From the official UK Sys Admin Day Admin

It has been a good year, this year.

We still need more fans on our facebook site at www.sysadminday.co.uk

The UK has celebrated iSaad for the last 8 years and we would like to thank all the Sys Admins that keep the UK running.

8. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Pint

How about some nice ladies finally finding interest in all the work?

"Oh Mr. sysadmin, that's a LOOOONG Perl script you got there... "

Ah nah, I will again be accused of gender-biased favoritism.

1. Uplink
      Pint

Re: How about some nice ladies finally finding interest in all the work?

It's all this innuendo that scares chicks away methinks. All those guys that do get women seem to do everything BUT the innuendo. But don't ask me how they can be so normal. I'm still trying to find out myself.

I'll go get myself a beer. I administrate my own system. I'm a programmer. I'll try to get some beers out of my co-workers too though, because I double as a sysadmin from time to time. Especially for that guy who can't keep out of the Administrator account even though I put a huge warning in big letters telling him to log off there and then on the desktop and locked it via registry permissions. He's supposedly knowledgeable, but I have no idea why he need that account so often (at least, if that computer get a virus, he's the only one using that account, so if this happens, I can tell him off).

1. Juillen 1

Innuendo, scare women? Who do you think is reading "50 shades of grey"?

Most of the gals where I work are far more into the innuendo than the guys! They just don't have an interest in the geeky side of the tech work.

2. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

There are some of us here!

The innuendo doesn't tend to matter, we'll join in anyway. But people never belive you're doing IT when you tell them. This does help in the "can you just fix.." problem though! :)

9. Sloppy Crapmonster
    Alert

Remember, my fellow sysadmins, "Non ex transverso sed deorsum"

http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~djc/asr/

10. NozeDive

The IT Crowd

The picture of Jen on the index page reminded me that there was an El Reg sticker on the shelf behind Moss in season three.

Now I'm off to type Google into Google.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Err, they do get paid, don't they?

That is a pretty good token of appreciation in itself!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      WTF?

Why is management read El Reg?

12. Jacqui

Beer Ice cream

If there was a sysadmin at work or at a customers I woudl provide them with the above :-)

Jacqui - who is a week overdue replacing a dying rack based gateway IDS box with something the size of a power brick and has to ensure switchover is seamless.

1. Mike Taylor

Re: Beer Ice cream

Good luck Jacqui!

13. Herby
    Pint

Take a BOFH to lunch/beer?

No, you have it all wrong. The proper thing is that the BOFH uses his slush fund (probably billed to the boss's account) to take PFY to lunch for free!

I mean, let's get real!

14. toadwarrior
    Trollface

You know your job is shit if you need an appreciation day.

If only they took the time to learn programming they could have been software developers instead.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

To be fair, some of us programmers do end up doing sysadmin due to necessity. In my case, I do both as there isn't any other people in the building aware what ls does, or has the inclination to learn or care about Linux. Except when it's all broken, then they care. Technically its not my job, but it did get me a nice pay rise. Management quite obviously didn't want to hire a sysadmin though, though that's more indicative of the attitude within the company to IT.

2. Jesrad

funny that

I was hired as Sysadmin, yet end up doing development in the majority of my work time because the actual devs here can't keep up and maintain the whole project's deployment and installation scripts by themselves. Turns out you can learn a new programming language's quirks and odds much faster, than learning an IT infra's inner workings.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: funny that

Scripting is easy. Basic OOP development is easy.

Good development...that's hard. I'd say being a real developer - the kind that worries about maintainable, modular code, knows the ins and outs of the language, understands things like polynomial versus logarithmic execution times for sorts and seraches - that takes as much time, effort, skill and experience as learning Deep Sysadmin stuff.

Of course, the devs are better paid and earn far more respect than the "digital janitors." But that's another rant...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like