back to article HTC disses Dr Dre by diluting Beats deal

Taiwanese handset maker HTC has pulled around half of its stake in Beats Electronics, the audio kit maker co-founded by US hip hop star Dr Dre, less than a year after buying a 51 per cent majority share in the company. HTC said in a Taiwan Stock Exchange filing that it sold 25 per cent of its stake in the company for $150m. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More to it than this, but tell me did Beats actually make the HTC handsets better and a more 'must buy' product?

1. Shagbag
    2. takuhii

TBH NO :/ Beats is supposed to be one of those technologies that lets you hear more instruments, enhancing the sound and so on. But I just don't hear it...

2. Snail
    Holmes

Hardly supprising. Beats HTC phones looked awesome, until everyone realised it was just a sound profile, that improved the sound of most headphones.

Being Android, the profile was being loaded onto various other phones within a week, and all advantage of Beats was lost.

Had HTC actually put some great audio hardware into the phone, rather than just a cheap bodge, it may have been a very different story.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sound profile? you mean whack up the bass and treble?

I think most people are used to massively altered sound, overly compressed (dynamics not data compression), bass increased and treble increased.

1. Graham Bartlett

That's the bunny. Headphones optimised for people whose idea of "awesome sound" is the stereo in their Renault Clio turned up full.

3. Martin
    WTF?

People who wear Beats headphones have always baffled me anyway...

You spend over a hundred quid for - presumably - superior sound. Then you wear them OVER your hoodie.

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Re: People who wear Beats headphones have always baffled me anyway...

No. You pay over 100 pounds for a bright red pair of earphones that make SOME music sound better (specifically that with heavy bass).

Anyone who appreciates a wide variety of music would go for a decent make (such as Sennheiser, Bose, AKG or Beyer Dynamic) at around the same price point or higher.

1. Greg J Preece

"Anyone who appreciates a wide variety of music would go for a decent make (such as Sennheiser, Bose, AKG or Beyer Dynamic) at around the same price point or higher."

THIS.

How to tell if your expensive headphones are shit: did you buy them from HMV?

The Beats range is much like the Skullcandy range. They made a set of headphones that are superior to iPod earbuds (as challenging as getting drunk), but are still ultimately pretty mediocre, and then sold them to people who don't know better, who now brand themselves audiophiles. They're no better than buying a pair with "super bass boost" written on them. You're getting a shit pair of headphones.

1. Danny 14

I imagine they dont use a crappy phone with rubbish DAC too.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: a shit pair of headphones

Jeez, where's your sense of fun? They don't sound that bad, but the main thing is they look cool (if you like that sort of thing). A friend has some pink furry ones, and she thinks they're great - why not?

1. Graham Bartlett

So why do you need things like a headphone cable and stuff? If it's just about how it looks, then make it just about how it looks.

Ferraris look great. But they also happen to have superb performance, and their shape is largely dictated by their performance. A Ferrari which looked like the most amazing car ever invented but which got beaten at the traffic lights by Segways would not be considered a great idea. Why should other functional things like headphones be different?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: So why do you need things like a headphone cable

That's how the sounds gets from the MP3 to your head, is why you has the headphones.

2. Stuart Castle Silver badge

That's her choice, but the marketing tells you how great they sound, and uses that as a justification for the price.

The thing is for me. I do not care how good the headphones look (in fact, going through Lewisham of an evening, it's probably best they are as unobtrusive as possible). I care how they sound. I used to have a set of Bang and Olufsen headphones. They made me look as though I was wearing a girl's hair band. I still wore them. Why? Because they made pretty much every song I played through them sound good.

I am not knocking Beats headphones without trying them. On the contrary, before I bought my current Sennheisers, I tried several pairs of Beats headphones, some of which were noticably more expensive than the Sennys. I tried them with a few different kinds of music as well.

That's actually the best advice I can give for anyone buying headphones. Before parting with your cash, ask to try a few sets of headphones with different kinds of music.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bose don't deserve to be mentioned alongside reputable, well-designed and engineered products like Sennheiser, AKG or Beyer Dynamic. Bose are yet more aural snake oil - just like Beats

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Think you are missing the point ... that statement should read

"You spend over a hundred quid for - presumably -" the brand name "Then you wear them OVER your hoodie." so everyone can see how much you spent on them.

Rather like the way a certain segement of middle-aged women used to wear headscarfs etc that had to be precisely arranged so that the appropriately posh label was visible.

3. Buzzword

Over their hoodies? Nah, most of the time they just sit around their necks!

4. iCode86
    Joke

Looks like HTC

Forgot about Dre

1. dotdavid
      Facepalm

Re: Looks like HTC

He's still takin' time to perfect the Beats.

1. Andy ORourke
        Happy

Re: Looks like HTC

ah, but he still has love for the streets......

2. Havin_it

Looks to me like it's Fuck With Dre Day...

and err'body's invited :(

3. Patrick R
      Joke

El Reg says the deal changed...

..they wanna know how Dre feels about it.

5. Kevin7
    FAIL

May be they realised people got sniggered at wearing 300 quids worth of headphones...

1. Snail

£300? The ones bundled with the phones were about £60. Only the top of the range Beats are £300.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You can get some nice Sennheiser HD650s for that. Proven audio quality, decent build (all parts can be replaced).

Obviously they're not endorsed by a cRap artist.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Sennheiser

You don't need to spend £300 - at least not for a laptop or phone...

I use Sennheiser PXC250 for my laptop/phone and does the job just nice and even cancels out the rumble of the trains too. I got mine online and paid just £70 for them...

6. Lloyd
    Thumb Down

Could Beats please design a pair of headphones

That have minimal or no sound leakage, I'm sick of listening to other peoples distorted music on the train.

1. Anonymous Coward 101
      Thumb Down

Re: Could Beats please design a pair of headphones

Ever noticed it's the same song everyone listens to? It goes cha-cha cha-cha BOOM! cha-cha cha-cha BOOM! ...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I must admit, I like the Beats on my One X... no way I'd use the bundled headphones though, they are flipping awful! I bought a pair of House of Marley Redemption Song to replace a pair of Klipsch S4A (they started to shred themselves) and they blow the bundled Beats out of the water massively, and have fantastic build quality. I tried out some of the other Beats headphones at the airport once and I saw nothing special, even in the over ear stuff... not a patch on the HD595s, even though mine have the horrid microcrack problem and need replacing... though in their defence they have done 4 years or so

1. countd
      WTF?

"House of Marley Redemption Song" earphones. Srsly?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Srsly". Seriously?

<- I would have used the headmaster icon, but I'm a miserable, sniveling coward.

2. Dana W
        FAIL

Amazingly enough,

House of Marley headphones are not that bad. They my be the only "celebrity" branded headphones that are not just trading on the name. "I am not Bob Marley fan" I got a pair simply because they had them at the pawnshop and I was short on cash .

They sound a LOT better than Beats and at about half the price in their top of the line. Beats are horrible. If all you want is bass I guess the have a reason to exist. Try listening to anything else but rap and hip-hop with Beats and its just sad. I like art and prog rock, I put a demo pair of Beats through their paces and anything but bass was just a joke, seriously, beats make Apple earbuds look good. Its really that bad.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Amazingly enough,

I'm not normally swayed by celebrity endorsed products or what not, but they have an absolutely brilliant build quality and they also sound very good... The Klipsch S4A are regarded as a very good pair of headphones in their price range, and in my opinion the House of Marley ones are better. They are probably the only celeb headphones not trading on name alone. You might be surprised, I certainly was.

1. corrodedmonkee

Re: Amazingly enough,

For the record, I'm talking about the in ear variants, not the external ones.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Im confused.............

Where do monster fit into this? I always thought Beats was just a branding of monster headphones?

9. 73N

I've got a HOX (and love it) but I didn't even know that it had beats audio until it arrived - since beats is just a marketing gimmick of a sound profile maybe HTC should have done more to market it.

1. Ilgaz

Htc

Htc and Lg are stupid enough to ship a glasses free 3d phone which impresses everyone (including iphone fanatics) when they experience it.

The stupid part? Idiots forgot to show it in a proper way, e.g. Providing demo stands so auto stereoscopic phones were served turned off, next to ordinary models with a bulkier look& price. Guess what everyone bought in such circumstances? Samsung.

10. takuhii

A guy i work with has some beats in-ear headphones, the metal ones... They have fallen apart after 6 months :/

11. Dave 126 Silver badge

On a similar note...

A quick Google search for "Samsung ICEpower" doesn't return any results from the last few years... Samsung had announced around 2008 with some fanfare their collaboration with Bang and Olufsen subsiduary ICEpower, to provide Class D amps for their phones. I'm not clear on what 'Beats technology" is; I suspect that there is no such thing.

I think ASUS have more recently released laptops with Bang and Olufsen printed on them- just as Apple used to with Harmon Kardon... it just seems the easiest way to communicate to consumers that 'our laptop sounds less tinny than your existing laptop', because it is hard to communicate that message with figures, as you would say CPU performance.

Personally, I tend to lose earphones, so don't pay silly money for them. The ones that came with my Sony phone are good enough.

1. Sloppy Crapmonster
      Meh

Re: On a similar note...

I'm typing on an ASUS N53SV (w/B&O Icepower) right now. The on-board speakers are terrible. The headphone jack's okay, but I have nothing with which to compare it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like