back to article McDonalds staff 'rough up' prof with home-made techno-spectacles

A man wearing computer-assisted spectacles was assaulted by staff in a Parisian McDonalds, who tried to pull the glasses off his head then threw him out of the restaurant, according to a blog post written by the victim. The staff seemed angered by the high-tech vision-ware worn by Dr Steve Mann who is an academic at the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You would need your eyes testing ...

... if you go to McDonalds. How could you mistake it for somewhere where you can eat food?

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

WTF was he doing in a McDonalds in Paris anyway? Paris allegedly home to cuisine cooking after all...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hey, it's international cuisine alright

they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is: they call it a "Royale with Cheese."

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Hey, it's international cuisine alright

What do they call a Big Mac?

1. hplasm
          Happy

Merde Grand- inna bun.

2. ravenviz Silver badge
          Coat

Un Grand Fils?

3. James Micallef Silver badge
          Thumb Up

They call it "Le Big Mac"

at Burger King a whopper is still a whopper (probably with an accent on the 'e' and a throaty 'r' )

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"They call it "Le Big Mac"

at Burger King a whopper is still a whopper (probably with an accent on the 'e' and a throaty 'r' )"

I dunno, I never went into Burger King.

Ya know what they put on French Fries in Holland instead ketchup?

1. Rob Carriere

The stuff on Dutch French Fries

Frietsaus. Which, as I have had to explain to several disgusted Americans, looks a bit like, but is not mayonaise.

Now, please don't ask me why we do that over here, I don't like the stuff...

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: The stuff on Dutch French Fries

Salad cream is amazing on 'fries'. Luckily amazon.com has it or I would be out of luck!

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Re: The stuff on Dutch French Fries

Not as good as peanut sauce though!!!!!

2. fandom

You've never been to France, have you?

Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, or at least an alsacian, restaurant

1. Mr Tumnus

"You've never been to France, have you?

Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, or at least an alsacian, restaurant"

What the fuck are you talking about?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Mr Tumnus

""You've never been to France, have you?

Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, or at least an alsacian, restaurant"

What the fuck are you talking about?"

I suspect he was saying that French restaurants are pretty bad in Paris... I agree totally with him, avoid the French restaurants, the food is usually barely edible, the only good restaurant food in Paris are not French..

Really I have no idea where the myth of French food being great and British food being bad comes from.. IMHO the British food is 1000 times better than French, why? because our food is not just British, our cuisine is truly international and we take the best food from around the world and integrate it into our own, and have been doing so for centuries.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @Mr Tumnus

yet the huge majority will eat super bland roast beef and overcooked watery veg out of a carvery and consider it a super tasty meal. There's a reason you need gravy to eat the damn thing, and no, the reason isn't superior cooking...

1. CD001

But... but... but... I like my veg watery to the point where it practically disintegrates - it's how my dear ol' mum always made it when I was a kid ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Ya don't mean Flunch do ya? ;) Actually that was not bad veg a bit like you say, but I think they try to cheat by improving peoples' perception of the food, by getting people wasted on free drinks and spectacular amounts of Vin Rouge from the Mecha-Sommelier's tap ;)

2. Mr Temporary Handle
            Thumb Up

"I suspect he was saying that French restaurants are pretty bad in Paris... I agree totally with him, avoid the French restaurants, the food is usually barely edible, the only good restaurant food in Paris are not French.."

Most Definitely!

Even the cafes in places like Calais are far better.

Anyone who's never tried a french restaurant in Paris should consider this. Just how bad does it have to be to make the crap McDonalds serve up look good?

1. Andrew Moore

Strange- I must be extremely lucky then, because I've only had one bad meal in Paris and that was in a franchise (Hedgehogs???). But then I do know how to locate good restaurants off the beaten track.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

So you've had a bad meal in Paris, therefore all French restaurants in Paris are shit?

Idiots.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Exactly, and god forbid you feed your offspring anything like steak or snails, much better to feed them deep fried crap and burgers made of foreskins, lips and arseholes, hell some fast food burgers aspire to be made of stuff like that. When kebabs are made of better meat, worry.

If all people ever see of Paris is the short walk from their hotel to a tour bus pickup then I am sure their impressions of French cuisine would be poor. Those restaurants located right by the hotels are crap, they pay a fortune in rent, they pay their staff feck all and dress them up like Rene from allo allo because thats what real french people must look like. No wonder the foods crap, you are nothing but a fat, ignorant, cash pinata to be beaten stupid and there will be an endless stream of folks behind you waiting for the same abuse.

If it wasn't self inflicted I would feel sorry for folks who didn't get to taste real French cuisine.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I visited London last year and stayed in a small hotel in the city centre. The food they served was some of the best I've eaten, at least that year.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

He's being anti-French Cuisine and pro-Saxon cusine. Possibly he is an elaborate troll, or simply very much likes sausage and sauerkraut. Or rostis ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I'm not an expert on German cuisine, but I know that at least bratwurst & sauerkraut is usually pretty good (and has sometimes been incredibly good - easily some of the best meals I have ever had, compares favorably to anything).

Perhaps you could say German cooking is a safer choice for a tourist - usually edible even when it is not so good?

3. JEDIDIAH
          Linux

Been there, done that.

While you may not need to avoid the French food in Paris, you can certainly find a better place to eat on the Champs-Elyse than Icky Micky. The Lowenbrau Beer Hall being an obvious place. Dunno if it's a chain. Dunno if it's still even there. Clearly there are better options than Icky Micky.

H*ll. A NYC hot dog pushcart is a better option than Icky Micky. Find yourself a crepe stand or something.

2. Rampant Spaniel

Whilst I don't blame people for not finding the best food in Paris, you are way off the mark. Paris has some amazing food, much of it well priced if you can find it.

You have to remember Paris is a capital city full of tourists, therefore many restaurants (especially before internet review sites) traded on their location and an endless supply of American tourists. The same can be said of Rome and London (to a lesser extent), lots of crap trading on location or a brand name who don't care if you never come back.

So to find good food in Paris you need to get lost. Good, cheap places usually cannot afford prime locations and rely on locals. They probably aren't all that welcoming to tourists. Learn some French, even a dumb ross bif like me can get a table and order food and wine in French with only a few sentences. Once they see you try they help, it's about respect. When you find somewhere off the beaten path, check the window and bar for signs of Budweiser, if you see any move on. When you walk in you want to hear French and nothing else, a single "gee honey, whats a crock monster" and you need to find somewhere else. Oh and order lots of wine!

At least in Paris they don't wave waiters in the street trying to force you into their restaurant like they do in Rome! In short find somewhere that trades on its food. Otherwise its like judging new orleans creole food based on a microwave meal.

1. Gerhard Mack

@Rampant Spaniel

Indeed, and the same goes for Spain. Madrid is tourist crap and you are better off hopping on the Cercaneas and going north to a place like Torrelodones where the locals don't tolerate bad food.

2. DJ 2

@RS People waving you in.

In the Latin quarter, they have people trying to wave you in.

There are really nice restaurants here, but you don't go into the tourist traps, and NEVER EVER go to McDonalds on the champs. It's disgusting even by McDonalds standards.

If you're coming to Paris for a weekend look on the site La Fourchette for deals on good food, check out the ratings and prices.

I've been living here for 12 years now, I made the same mistakes as all the tourists and suffered the food poisoning on more than one occasion.

3. Vic

> Paris has some amazing food, much of it well priced if you can find it.

I've yet to find any "well priced" food in Paris, but I've had some amazing nosh there.

I suspect the trick is to talk to the staff in French[1]...

Vic.

[1] No, there's no chance of my being mistaken for a native. But they do seem to prefer it...

3. philbo
        Joke

Re: Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, or at least an alsacian, restaurant

I know it's food from the Alsace, but...

I'd have thought you were more likely to find an Alsacian restaurant in Korea

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, or at least an alsacian, restaurant

Woof!

1. Alpha Tony

Re: an alsacian, restaurant

..so Korean food then?

1. Rampant Spaniel

Black dog bbq? That isn't Korean, thats the Filipino. Nigeria also has a fondness for mutt stew.

I know we like to make fun of the French over eating black beauty (rather sounds like the title of an adult movie) but horse meat is pretty good, far better than any muck burger effort. I wouldn't have any huge issues eating dog, assuming it wasn't someones pet. When in Rome as they say. I draw the line at Whale \ Dolphin meat.

1. The Flying Dutchman

Re: I draw the line at Whale \ Dolphin meat.

Ever eat shark?

A nice one inch thick slab cooked on a charcoal grille, not bad at all I'll say. A bit like tuna but not quite.

And a lot better than a shark eating you of course. Turning the tables, so to speak.

(and no, it's not a lawyers' joke!)

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: I draw the line at Whale \ Dolphin meat.

Yeah, Shark n bake :-) I don't mind shark, I love ahi (tuna). The Whale \ Dolphin thing probably isn't based on the most rational basis, but I live surrounded by them (whales for maybe 3 months of the year, dolphins year round), they just feel like very special creatures. Not rational I know :-) Also like cod and some tuna stocks, they need time for their numbers to recover.

2. Thorne
                Trollface

"I draw the line at Whale \ Dolphin meat"

Whats wrong with whale meat? I have more issues eating a dog than a whale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XofGXKxpU2Y

And dolphin tastes like tuna.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re whats wrong with whale meat, as I mentioned above it's probably not the most rational thinking, but when you get to swim around whales and dolphins all year (for dolphins, 3-4 months a year for whales) and see them eye to eye, they're special creatures. I really don't expect others to agree, I was just being honest.

I also think the stocks of some whale populations are too low to be fished sustainably right now. Some tuna and cod stocks are in a similar position. Fwiw I don't eat much if any cod and I am careful about where my ahi (tuna) comes from. It just makes sense not to overfish.

2. Mephistro
          Joke

Re: Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, ... (@philbo)

"I'd have thought you were more likely to find an Alsacian restaurant in Korea"

That's bollocks!

1. philbo

Re: Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, ... (@Mephistro)

>That's bollocks!

They cook those, too?

1. Mephistro
              Happy

Re: Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, ... (@Philbo)

As the ancient* saying goes: "In North Korea, the meatballs are the dog's bollocks"

* : In this context, 'ancient' means 'read in a comment in February' :-D

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, ... (@Mephistro)

">That's bollocks!

They cook those, too?"

That would be the American Cowboy place, up the street. Ask for the Rocky Mountain Oysters.

4. Daggersedge

The food in France is wonderful!

'You've never been to France, have you?

Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, or at least an alsacian, restaurant'

You don't know what you are talking about. I live in France. The food is very good here, and that includes traditional French food.

I don't live in Paris, but I do visit there from time to time. The last time I had a meal in a proper restaurant in Paris (as opposed to picking up a quick sandwich at the Japan Expo), it was at a place a short distance away from la tour Eiffel. In the UK, the food in such a place would have been ghastly and one would have eaten there only out of desperation. But this is France and the steak was well-marbled and cooked just the way I like it. The rest of the meal was delicious as well. The service was prompt and friendly, as is always the case in France.

If you had been talking about the food in UK restaurants, however, I would have agreed with you.

1. Martin Owens

Re: The food in France is wonderful!

Just like in Paris, if you go into a cheeky tourist trap in London, you're going to get the tourist food imaginable.

But I've worked in several cities and they all have the same rule: know what you want and find the smallest place with the largest number of locals (locals here means people who live there, not people who sound like they're from there. So Chinese people in a London restaurant probably means your near Leicester Sq)

As for British food... it's gotten a LOT better in the past 30 years, I remember when SPAM was the hight of cooking. But now? I think that if you don't like British food it's because your tastes aren't developed enough in those areas, and not just because the food is actually bad.

3. foo_bar_baz
      Thumb Down

Kids

Read the original blog piece. He was there with his kids. You going to take your kids for steak tartare? Frog legs, oysters or escargots?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Kids

How bout Coq Au Vin. You coq.

2. Rampant Spaniel

Actually yes, but thats besides the point. No reason kids can't eat French cuisine. I'm fairly sure French kids do. I'd take steak tartare over a mc horse scrotum burger. I'm no fan of frogs legs, but escargot is awesome.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
          Happy

"Actually yes, but thats besides the point. No reason kids can't eat French cuisine. I'm fairly sure French kids do. I'd take steak tartare over a mc horse scrotum burger. I'm no fan of frogs legs, but escargot is awesome."

Agreed, my kids (8 and 10) love to try exotic stuff like snails, or eyes and brains of fish (they learnt that from a Croatian friend (I passed on those myself)). It gets them huge bragging rights at school.

3. edge_e
        Flame

Why wouldn't you take your kids for steak tartare or frogs legs? Why enforce your own food hang ups on your children?

4. JDX Gold badge

>> He was there with his kids. You going to take your kids for steak tartare? Frog legs, oysters or escargots?

Kids are actually able to eat real food, not only junk. I hope you're not a parent.

5. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

> Read the original blog piece. He was there with his kids. You going to take your kids for steak tartare? Frog legs, oysters or escargots?

I've been all around the world with Jedi 2.0 and we've never once resorted to an American fast food franchise.

6. blearrgh
        Childcatcher

You going to take your kids for steak tartare? Frog legs, oysters or escargots?

Just the other month I saw a 5yo in a restaurant in southern France tucking happily into a plate of Beef Carpaccio, so why not.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That is where you have the problem, thinking Paris has good food

In my experience about food in French restaurant is either badly under-cooked, burned, tasteless or rubbery...

And that is when i'm taken out by locals who say they are 'good' restaurants.

McDonalds started to look tempting after a couple of days being 'treated' to 'good' food...

And personally I avoid McDonalds as much as possible.....

1. Nev
        Stop

Tourist Food

"In my experience about food in French restaurant is either badly under-cooked, burned, tasteless or rubbery..."

That's the stuff they dish out to tourists.

They save it for when the a tourists turn up asking for a "Steak 'n' Chips, And cooked properly, none of your bleu rubbish neither!"

1. Kubla Cant

Re: Tourist Food

@Nev tourists turn up asking for a "Steak 'n' Chips...

It's "Steack-frites" [sic], and it's the French people's favourite meal. Nothing to do with tourists.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I'm not sure if it counts as "cuisine" but it can be awesome if both the steack and the frites are done nicely, often from a van with a stonking great gas bottle for the iron-plate's burner ;)

2. Nev

Ouais, mais le steak haché à cheval est encore meilleur.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Jamais dites jamais. Clip-clop!

2. Alpha Tony

@ people who say French food is bad in Paris

I have to disagree - I have had some of the best tasting meals of my life in Paris (and I have travelled all over the world). They do seem to have an annoying habit of poisoning me though! (three times now - once with onion soup FFS!) :(

In my opinion this shows two things:

1) There is some truth in the old stereotype: French food good / French hygiene bad.

2) The food really does taste bloody good as I am still defending it after spending days of my life almost turning inside-out through my arsehole.

3. mad_dr
        Devil

"In my experience about food in French restaurant is either badly under-cooked, burned, tasteless or rubbery..."

Sounds like my wife would make a great French chef...

5. Kubla Cant
      Windows

Parisian cuisine

I'm sure I read somewhere that France has one of the highest per-capita consumptions of McDonalds in the world. I think it's to do with the fact that a large number of French office workers have their lunches paid for, but they can't afford real food.

My experience is that as time goes by it gets harder and harder to find a decent meal in France anyway. I don't know if my standards have gone up or theirs down.

6. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

RTFA

@Nick Ryan. One word numbnuts. Kids.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: RTFA

We did read the article. What the hell do you think French kids eat? I hope you aren't a parent. What kind of example are you setting your kids? Fast food is not better for them than traditional French cooking. Don't pass your own ignorant hangups onto another generation.

3. Trollslayer
    Flame

"Not pleased"

Assaulted by staff even after showing them the letter.

Usually I am against suing people but a lesson must be learnt here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Not pleased"

Suing them? He should have pasted them against the wall!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Which would have made the beginnings of a great film in this case. Yoo-hoo Mr Besson!

2. Bill Fresher

Why did he need a doctor's letter? I can't think of any medical reason for needing to have video recording spectacles attached to your skulll.

Perhaps it was a letter from his psychiatrist.

To Whom it may concern,

This man is disturbed. Treat with caution.

Best Regards,

Dr.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But what better choice...

...if you had to recommend a restaurant in Paris, to Kevin Warwick?

5. Stretch

this is normal french customer service right?

1. Miek
      Linux

He must have just ordered the Meal Deal, you should see what happens if you order a Pineapple Milkshake!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Funnily enough...

... I never had any problem with French waiters. Just be a nice person and they'll be nice too.

The thing you gotta remember is, service charges are always included in the bill there. Waiters don't rely on tips for survival, so they don't have to put up with assholes and can afford to cut them down to size.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Funnily enough...

Nothing wrong with French waiters - it's more like a profession than a job (except for the one that got stroppy, merely because I complained necause there were maggots in the cheese).

But McDonalds staff are McDonalds staff the world over.

1. Steve Evans

I don't see the link between restaurant waiters and McD staff... We're not talking silver service here, we're talking about some knuckle dragging monkey handing you a plastic tray, or pushing round a floor mop and bucket.

1. Andrew Moore

The problem I think is that people refer to McDonalds as a 'restaurant' (which it plainly is not). Of course this is enforced by MuckDonalds PR and marketing.

1. JEDIDIAH
              Linux

Quite. It's a hamburger stand with indoor seating.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On the other hand...

The picture makes him look like one of the Borg.

No wonder they were trying to get him out of there. Who knows where it might have lead?

1. Aaron Em

Borg? Nah

More like VISOR v.0.001-pre-alpha.

7. mikeyboosh
    Joke

He should have **takes off sunglasses, folds and puts them in top pocket of shirt** seen that coming

1. CD001

*Guitar burst from the Who*

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should have gone to...

Specsavers

9. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

Must be endemic in France.

There was I thinking it was just "Les Flics" who were in the habit of dishing out a good, solid jackbooted stamp to any piece of electronics in your posession that they didn't like the look of. Now I see this.

Maybe they're just all Bolshie LudditesFrench?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Must be endemic in France.

You had an OLD iPhone? Sacre-bleu!!!

10. Nev
    Coat

Naked?

If, as his headshot appears to suggest, he was naked at the time I'm not surprised the surly Parisiens got the hump and booted him out on his a derriere.

For god's sake, put a coat on, man!

(Either that or they thought he was a really bad covert documentary maker...)

11. wowfood

The French

It had nothing to do with the glasses at all, that's just what happens when you order McDonalds in france. It enragees them so much that you're eating cheap shit they just can't help themselves.

Also if I were there I would have tried to help the guy out, not because I feel sorry for him (although I do) just an excuse to swing at a frenchman.

1. foo_bar_baz

Re: The French & cheap shit

The guy who assaulted him was the owner of the restaurant.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2983577&cid=40671489

http://www.20minutes.fr/article/801524/incroyable-destin-khader-directeur-mcdo-champs-elysees

12. DMH
    Terminator

Cyborg uprising

Kudos to the McDonalds staff for their "hit first, hit hard" policy with regards to the impending cyborg uprising.

1. Z-Eden
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Cyborg uprising

New keyboard please!

2. /dev/me
      Paris Hilton

Re: Cyborg uprising

Yeah, I was thinking this should be filed under RotM; human victory.

/Paris, for want of a WIN icon

13. Andrew Barratt
    Coffee/keyboard

Somebody tell La Forge

Someone warn Jordy La Forge, no "Le Big Mac" for him.

Seriously though this guy was assaulted by a member of staff and the police haven't done anything? For wearing what effectively is a small camera attached to his glasses.

Parisian police #fail

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Somebody tell La Forge

Of course, at this point he could have done with a 6'8" Klingon backing him up...

1. Aaron Em

Sure, but you know if Worf had been there he'd have cleaned up one or two of the guys and then had his ass completely kicked by whoever was left.

1. TRT Silver badge

And then agonise about it to Troy for hours afterwards...

1. Aaron Em

And then they'd make a vague gesture in the direction of a "will they won't they" relationship subplot, except there's no point because the various writers never acknowledge one another's existence save at gunpoint, so it just wastes scarce episode minutes and pisses everybody off.

1. TRT Silver badge

I hear she likes to get her hands on a Mars Bar.

14. Mika Peltokorpi
    Holmes

I wondered that also

"WTF was he doing in a McDonalds in Paris anyway? Paris allegedly home to cuisine cooking after all..."

I wondered also why my collaques go to "local mcdonalds" in Paris. After visiting couple of restaurants, I do not wonder. Such a crap is seldomly thrownt to a plate that in Paris. And prices are 3x to Germany, for example. Old visdom: If someone starts phrase with word "allegdy", the rest of the story does not usually base on truth.

Note - this is not applicable outside of Paris; at least to my experience.

15. Paul Westerman
    WTF?

Coming soon..

Nicolas Cage in Terminator 5

16. Robert Ramsay
    Alert

The bit that freaked me out...

"The eyeglass is permanently attached and does not come off my skull without special tools."

Blimey o'Reilly.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Re: The bit that freaked me out...

Tell me about it. I didn't realise technology had reached that sort of point. I recall a documentary a few years back about a system that was designed to try and give some limited vision to people who were completely blind by crudely stimulating the visual cortex with implanted electrodes fed from a camera, but that was enormously clunky and only showed a few tens of dots. What this guy is wearing seems almost Star Trek in comparison.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Does he have a Special Tool in his shower, or is it waterproof? ;)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He wrong. Dremel.

17. Timfy67
    Joke

Time to fit a frickin' laser to those specs!

1. Ru
      FAIL

A laser? Seriously?

I, for one, am sorely disappointed that no-one has recommended installation of a skull-gun yet.

1. Aaron Em

He's lucky he didn't take two rounds, one in flesh one in augs, before he could get that dam assalt gun up.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well...

As an expert in wearable computing, he should be aware that wearing headgear like that may result in unpredictable reactions from the general public. The headgear looks deliberately designed to be in your face, not exactly subtle like the Google glasses are attempting to be. He looks like he's dressed up as something from an obscure sci fi film.

I am in no way condoning what happened, but I know how I feel if I encounter Police with head mounted cameras and I've (usually) not done anything wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well...

People with robotic limbs and hearing aids look weird to those who have never seen them before.

But you don't go attempting to rip them off.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Like I said, I don't condone what happened, but:

These are not a normal prosthetic, they're an experiment in wearable computing, they stand out in a provocative way in which a normal prosthetic (Oscar Pistorius not included) just does not. Normal prosthetics are designed to replicate function of what's missing, and be as unobtrusive as possible.

Add to that the McDonalds in question having had problems with TV companies, and apparently having no cameras signes on the door, you can see how the situation may come about.

1. kain preacher

Thebn yiu ask him to leave. If he does not you call the cops. No it is no understandable that you would assault some cause you think they have a camera. He showed them the letter and they ripped it up, If you have that lack of control you do not belong in society.

2. Captain Underpants
          FAIL

You don't condone what happens, you just excuse twats acting like twats?

The glasses in question are not that provocative. Provocative would be a massive cyclopean middle-of-the-forehead HAL-9000 LED, or a tattoo on his face saying "I'M RECORDING YOUR EVERY WORD" or something. He's wearing some custom, unusual, glasses. If you're going to freak out over them, you should be freaking out about everyone with a phone manufactured in the last 5-8 years because HOLY SHIT CAMERAS ZOMG!

Even if the gear were in breach of some bollocks "no recording equipment" policy, the correct response is to ask him politely to leave, not to physically assault him. I'm really not sure where that part is somehow a predictable and avoidable risk in your world. Are we really having to specifically tell people that violent assault isn't a valid reaction when you work in customer service? o_O

1. Darryl

Well, we ARE talking about Paris here... 'customer service' there does usually approach the level of violent assault...

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

There is a difference between trying to work out how things got to the stage they did and condoning, or excusing what happened.

3. Mephistro
            Thumb Up

Re: Well... (@ Captain Underpants )

"Are we really having to specifically tell people that violent assault isn't a valid reaction when you work in customer service? o_O"

Yes. This crap started with the security notices in microwave ovens. It's snowballing now.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, you say that, but I was at this Ceilidh once .......

19. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

I see the staff at McDonalds are fully unionized

Violence towards the customer? Sure. Then they get fired, get on government dripfeed and are back at the next "manifestation" throwing stones randomly into shops to "show the rich actionnaires what's what". Then they complain that shops are closing and demand government intervention to put a stop to this unpatriotic exploitation of the proletarian masses.

20. mark 63 Silver badge
    FAIL

big effort by McD's

"As part of that process, the McDonald's France team has made several attempts to reach Dr. Mann directly."

If they cant even find the victim , how are they going to find the culprit ??

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Made several attempts to contact him directly"

That's a nice way of putting 'We sent the guys around to bang on his hotel room but he's not answering the door."

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Publicity?

All seems a little odd, if he's posted the pics to find these people, why obscure their faces/names?

If the assault happened then clearly it's wrong, but something just doesn't feel right about this.

23. JDX Gold badge
    Paris Hilton

Paris Culture

How is this different from anyone else's trip to Paris?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Gimp

Re: Paris Culture

You've answered that yourself: Miss Hilton's trip to Paris was a lot different, at least from what we can see in her "One Night in Paris" movie.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: One Night In Paris Culture

Great movie, terrible lighting! At least. so I was told ;)

2. Peter Simpson 1
        Joke

Re: Paris Culture

Well, at least he can be glad he wasn't treated the same way she was...

24. JimC
    Meh

I can't help thinking

That the other side to this story would be very interesting. I've rarely seen fast food staff suddenly decide to assault customers and rip their sunglasses off, although I'm prepared to believe that working at McMornons and dealing with the French public is enough to send anyone temporarly insane.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why was he attacked again?

Would they also attack anybody with an unfamiliar prosthesis? What gives?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why was he attacked again?

I can only assume they thought he was filming for some documentary or something. Perhaps some of the staff members are illegal immigrants?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe he can try it next time with some other kind of strap-on ;)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Didn't stop them in Lesbian Nuns II .... oh, you mean attack the person THAT HAS the prosthesis ....

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He got off lightly

Had his Mrs been wearing a headscarf they would've knocked her teeth out. The French these days are like Daily Mail readers...on steroids

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: He got off lightly

Who just voted out Sarkozy. Nice try...... ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thumbs down because you wanted him still in his job? He's the first for ages of any party that didn't get a second go ;)

2. foo_bar_baz

Except the staff who assaulted him were of the north african persuasion, so probably not.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

The logical explanation for all this was that staff told him to put down the camera and stop recording, he said he couldn't and they - not believing it - decided to give it a try themselves, hence the assault.

I've had my share of angry reactions when taking photos of people too, even when it wasn't on purpose. This will no doubt be a problem if wearable cameras start becoming common.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't see what he is complaining about, McDonalds' finest Special Tools were used to remove the gadget from his skull ;)

By Special Tools, I mean Special Needs Tools of course ;)

29. Micha

It's not all black/white (as usual)..

There's more details on /. - apparently the McD's in question has had trouble with media harassing them recently and the staff may have been under the impression Dr. Mann may have been working for them. Add on top the language barrier, and, well, shit happens. There's supposed to be a 'no cameras' sign on the entrance door too, so he can't claim complete ignorance.

Still does not excuse the rough treatment, but apparently it wasn't a case of ignoramuses hitting on a "cyborg".

30. Steve Evans

More shocking...

Whilst I'm shocked by the behaviour of the staff, it's the handling of the incident by the authorities which really worries me.

He was physically assaulted! The police cannot just do a Sarkozy shrug and ignore a reported assault.

The Englishman side of me mutters "Well what do you expect from the French?", but then the US embassy completely ignores the complaint too.

Write letters, kick up a stink and lets have heads roll for this.

1. lifeat30fps

Re: More shocking...

He was born and lives in Canada. I know it's fun to pile on the USA, but isn't it reasonable to think he contacted the Canadian embassy?

1. Steve Evans

Ah, sorry, I missed that he was Canadian.

Why on earth did he go to the US embassy?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Maybe he read the nameplate on the door wrong ;) Or maybe his eye crashed when he was looking for it :P

2. lifeat30fps

I think it's EL Reg making assumptions. He says on his blog that he went to "the Embassy." He might well be a citizen of the USA, but being born and living in Canada and working hard so his kids are bilingual in French and English leads me to believe otherwise.

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: More shocking...

It was an error, sorry. The article has been changed.

C.

2. Trygve

Why can't they just shrug and ignore it? "It's nearly the end of my shift and this looks like it might take a while" is a standard part of police procedure the world over.

If you think no-one ever gets roughed up in London without the Met conducting a full and exhaustive investigation then you are deluded.

31. PipV
    Go

MMmmhh I'm Luvin

A Playmobil reconstruction of this.......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: MMmmhh I'm Luvin

'A Playmobil reconstruction of this.......'

One with HappyMeal toys surely?

32. pcsupport

There seems to be a part of the conversation missing from the blog post.

Did they ask him to turn it off after he explained what it was? Did he refuse to turn it off? What did HE say to them?

It all seems a bit one-sided for my liking. Come on, people just don't assault others in a MacDonald's for nothing.

33. Francis Vaughan

Motives?

I'm going to bet that the owner and staff had concluded that he was engaged in creating a clandestine video of goings on at their restaurant. This suggests that that they actually had something to hide, and that they were worried. So rather than just address the attack, either McDonalds, or as likely, the French tax office, might like to give the place's operations a thorough audit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Motives?

Yup, tend to agree with that, they seem a little overly nervous of cameras ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...he was engaged in creating a clandestine video of goings on at their restaurant."

If he was, you wouldn't even see the camera. Mobile phone in a shirt pocket can film through the cloth quite easily as a low tech solution to covert filming.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"... This suggests that that they actually had something to hide,..."

Of course, as we all know, if they have nothing to hide, they have nothing to fear.

1. xperroni
        Holmes

But then again, it was public-ish place, and to my knowledge he wasn't trying to enter any restricted areas. So it begs the question, why go through all the trouble of kicking him off, ramifications and all?

34. David Evans

Its all very odd

Definitely only getting one side of the story here. I also reckon Mann is running some kind of sociological experiment with all this cyborg crap on his face; if you go to his website you'll see he's been wearing various iterations of camera for decades now, but in the past he's used sunglasses to cover it up, obviously not the case with his little Paris showdown.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Its all very odd

Sure, it's like he was trying to make it as ugly and intrusive as possible... after many years when he could have been making it look better

1. Wize

Its probably the development machine, probably the latest prototype. Hard to get that in a standard, smooth looking cover.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Lordy, couldn't he just chop up a nice pair of Oakleys or something? ;)

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Something fishy here

Am I the only one who thinks the whole "the only reason I have these images is because the assault resulted in the device not clearing the buffer" story completely unbelievable?

Seems to me the device records all the time, but Dr Mann doesn't want to say that. The images posted were clearly taken several minutes apart. Just how big is this buffer?

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Says a lot about the usefulness of Embassies

One of your citizens is assulted the state department stooges do sweet FA.

Kinda makes you wonder what they are paid for

And I have no evidence that the FCO is any better.

37. stu 4
    Pint

Doctor's Letter

To whom it may concern:

This letter confirms that Steve Mann must wear his video glasses at all times due to his incurable medical condition, MAABOF*.

Regards

Dr Quack-quack

*http://alturl.com/9n5zr

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Doctor's Letter

He kinda looks a bit like a person in need of getting some Ritalin in ;)

38. Wize

Pics or it didn't happen...

Looks like it did.

39. Jonjonz
    Facepalm

Jerk Reaps What He Sows

No doubt this guy thought the no cameras rule did not apply to him, because according to him, he is special. Just your typical sociopath expecting the world to adjust to him.

The facts so far is that no one this guy has come in contact with has reacted positively to him, including the authorities, which leads me to believe his version of events is only so much sociopathic QQing.

I hope he brings his stupid attitude to someplace in the US where fast food employee's will not be so gentle.

You know those areas of town where fast food companies are forced to put people with gang tattoos on the register cause no one else will take the job.

40. Another Justin
    WTF?

Fairly misleading article...

The title of this article is completely misleading - if you actually read the blog post its clear that only 1 of the 3 individuals that approcahed him had any clear affiliation to McDonalds, and that guy was in fact bought over by the person who assaulted (which implies to me that the guy was just looking for the first McDonalds employee they could find to complain to). There is no indication that the guys who attacked him and kicked him out actually worked for McDonalds, and if you look at the pictures on the blog they definitely don't look to me like McDonalds employees.

A clearer title would have been "Prof with home-made techno-spectacles roughed up, happens to happen in McDonalds".

The only relevance to McDonalds is that the employee that was called over didn't do more to help, although frankly if I was that guy I'd call the police and try to stay out of it.

1. Oliver Mayes

Re: Fairly misleading article...

His blog said the one of the other 2 was holding a dustpan and brush. Not the kind of thing a customer would take to McD's.

2. Oolons
      Thumb Down

Try reading the blog linked to - perp 1 had a badge that he tried to hide... Plainly da management,

1. Another Justin

Like I said, look at the photos - the badge (although obscured) doesn't have anything remotely recognisable as a McDonalds logo or branding on it. It looks like an access card to me, not a name badge that a manager would wear. People go to lunch and leave their work access cards on all of the time.

Although its feasible that guy was the manager, at best thats just wild speculation.

1. Oliver Mayes

Quoted from his blog post

"I was stopped by a person who subsequently stated that he was a McDonalds employee"

"I noticed that Perpetrator 1 was wearing a name tag clipped to his belt. When I looked down at it, he quickly covered it up with his hand, and pulled it off and turned it around so that it was facing inwards, so that only the blank white backside of it was then facing outwards."

"The third person (who I will refer to as Perpetrator 3) was holding a broom and dustpan, and wearing a shirt with a McDonald's logo on it."

So that's the main assailant and at least one of the 2 people with him who are almost certainly restaurant employees.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

So what you are telling us is that some of the people who were with him in McDonalds (which is where he was when he was attacked) were McDonalds employees?

41. LordHighFixer
    Mushroom

Over the top

Micky D's needs to issue a formal apology, and maybe a small token grant for improvement of the visual appeal of this guys prosthesis. I don't care who you are or what you did, it is no cause for assault. either refuse service and ask him to leave, or call the authorities.

The staff involved should be sent to the corporate re-education camp.

1. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

The staff involved should be sent to the corporate re-education camp.

Totally agree. Think the Church of Scientology has such a place, at a very reasonable price....

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Medical condition?

I didn't notice any claim that the guy has a medical condition requiring the use of these glasses, which makes it seem even more extreme that they are apparently bolted to his skull?

43. ukgnome
    Joke

Wasn't this on the Sci-Fi Channel?

Robots versus Cyborg

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's be honest here

They probably thought he was from the dole office.

45. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Pint

To most French people Paris is nothing more than a...

Pimple on thce of 'La Belle France'.

I know from my time of working in Annecy that there is Paris and then there is the rest of France. My friends over there would rejoice if Paris disappeared into a hole in the ground.

It is a pity that most Americans who wome to Europe only go to a few Cities and never really see the best bits of a country.

Still, as it is past Bastille Day which meant that at least 50% of Paris has decamped to the south of france until september so even it is half bearable for a few weeks. Sadly, many of the better places to eat have also closed for their holidays.

Beer for when the Vin Rouge has run out.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone referencing Star Trek, HUSH, get back to updating your Fraudbook profile on your iPhone!

47. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

This looks like a big hoax to me....

Sorry, but I know what bollocks smell like (I've got a pair), and I smell BOLLOX!

1. 142
      Thumb Down

Re: This looks like a big hoax to me....

nah - this guy's a legit researcher (check previous reg articles) - he'd have nothing to gain by pulling stunt ilke that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This looks like a big hoax to me....

Legit researcher he may be, but legit researcher does not always equal "easy going, polite and generally bang up chap." Now we are only getting one side of the story, but as everyone who he dealt with seemed to have it in for him, Police, Maccy D's staff and even his own Embassy, I would suggest that the other side of the story may be worth hearing...

48. Kubla Cant
    WTF?

No cameras?

This is McDonalds?

On the Champs-Elysées?

And it doesn't allow customers with cameras? I should have thought nobody but tourists ever goes in there. And 90% of tourists have cameras. Come to that, 99% of mobile-phone users have cameras.

This guy must have been their first customer in months.

49. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I showed him the letter from my doctor"

How old is this guy - 12?!

50. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    WTF?

Local People

My experiences of Paris (but not the rest of France) bears this out.

They are worse than Londoners w.r.t. how they interact with the world.

They spend their whole life ignoring what is happening right in front of them.

Then when it is forced into their world view they just attack whatever it is.

Classic flight/fight reaction of many city dwellers and the reason why Parisians are usually quite rude.

I reckon it comes from being surrounded 24/7/365 by noise and people.

I imagine the attack sounded something like this; (translated from French obviously)

"Ugh, freak with camera on face!"

"Kill freak"

"Steal shiny-shiny"

"Shiny-shiny not come off"

"Kill freak!!"

As for camera-face,.... FREAK! <LOL>

51. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lets hope the next version has laser cannons.

52. Michael 28
    Stop

Unionised Macdonalds members?

I definitely think that even the most hard line union could condone this action. And I'm even more shocked the police did not intervene.

Computer assisted eyewear= Disability discrimination.

Physically attempting to remove eyewear= abh/ gbh?

Preventing him and his family enjoying meal. =assault !

Also, what authority did the individual use to eject this man from the restaraunt? If he identified as a macdonalds employee, this could be a case for action against the whole franchise europe-wide.

Personally, I haven't eaten at macdonalds in decades.. a big mac falls below what I or trading standards might insist are basic advertising requirements.

As for the employee, next time he might not be so lucky. CS gas is readily available on the continent. (or is capiscum spray more appropriate?)

1. Bucky 2
      Pint

Re: Unionised Macdonalds members?

I'm betting it was all a horrible misunderstanding.

From his picture, I'm presuming he was trying to eat in the restaurant shirtless.

Coupled with the "wearable computing" nonsense, it's reasonable to assume he isn't really well-connected to social norms.

Finally, being from Toronto, he probably didn't understand much real French (tee hee), so as the employee tried to more and more physically pantomime why there was a problem, the employee accidentally knocked the preposterous contraption off his face.

1. Michael 28

Re: Unionised Macdonalds members?

Sorry, but even having read the possible explanations, I still have MAJOR problems with this picture.

All I can say is this. I hope that there is a major rethink in the accountability of both parties involved, because this WILL get nasty.

53. Charles Smith

Time for flash mob?

60 cyborg look-alikes descend and order poule-balls avec frites in the branch of a well known fast food chain in Paris.

54. phear46

hang on....

No where did I read WHY he was assaulted, you tellin me they just took a disliking to him because he was from Toronto? And why are they trying to remove his spy specs?

55. Pete Wilson
    IT Angle

Why Visit MacDo?

The Great Big Secret about MacDonalds in Paris (and elsewhere in France) is they have free wifi, something which is harder to stumble upon in Yurp than the good ole USA.

The coffee isn't too bad, but definitely avoid the MacDo nosh...

56. Pete Wilson

Why Visit MacDo?

The Great Big Secret about MacDonalds in Paris (and elsewhere in France) is they have free wifi, something which is harder to stumble upon in Yurp than the good ole USA.

The coffee isn't too bad, but definitely avoid the MacDo nosh...

57. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As ol' Johnny Five would say..

No disassemble...

AC/DC

58. Gil Grissum
    Pint

Who gives a crap how good the food is in Paris??

While all of you are debating the quality of restaurant food in Paris, this man was attacked by RESTAURANT EMPLOYEES at McDonalds WHY?? For wearing some sort of high tech glasses? WTF??? At a table with his family, and the Police wouldn't even take a report or arrest someone for assault?? Why??

And the ho hum response from McDonalds as if we're discussing customer dissatisfaction instead of STORE EMPLOYEES ATTACKING A MAN IN FRONT OF HIS FAMILY? WTF??

59. John Savard

Next time

The French police failed to spring into action to aggressively investigate an assault complaint by a Canadian?

I hope the Canadian government pursues this issue through diplomatic channels. After all, this kind of behavior may lead Canada to reconsider participation the next time France is occupied by German forces.

1. Arclight

Re: Next time

The police can't do anything unless he actually bothers to report the crime. He returned home to Canada, and then sent emails. Even then he's not actually reporting a crime, he's asked for assistance in what is effectively a civil claim for compensation. How do you expect the French police to do anything if he doesn't report the crime, and the main witness is in Canada? You expect them to fly a couple of gendarmes over to Toronto?

60. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm thugging it

Not quite sure how that sounds in French...

61. Herby

Why?

All of this discussion has yet to yield an answer to the basic question of why did they attack the person in the first place? Was this ever explained to the wearer in the first place?

From the looks of it this attack was just because he looked weird, and not much else. It also appears that (again from the reports given here) that there was no explanation given to wearer before the attack. Back in the late 30's in another country, attacks for having hooked noses seems similar, but I'll leave that discussion to another time.

All in all, a bad sign.

Advise to all: Get out of Paris and enjoy the countryside. Generally there are better people there (or at least it was that way when I visited last in 1991).

62. ShadowDragon8685
    Alert

The first wave of anti-augmentation violence?

Wonder if they'd be brave enough to try pulling the arms off a man who looks like he could smash their heads together with it.

More seriously, the man was attacked for having a set of high-tech sunglasses... That's moronic. There is rude, and then there is thuggery; rude is telling him "No cameras in here, get lost!" Thuggery is... Well, this nonsense. The shrug of indifference by the police and his homeland's embassy is equally appalling.

The reaction by the staff also makes me wonder just what they may be hiding. And "you have nothing to fear, so you have nothing to hide" certainly does apply in a public place - that's why they're called public, after all.

It would serve these thugs right if this story went global and they got a stream of TV news crews storming the place to get the answers.

63. Mussie (Ed)

What a bunch of retarded fuckwits

64. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Product placement?

"Subsequently another person within McDonalds physically assaulted me, while I was in McDonald's, eating my McDonand's Ranch Wrap that I had just purchased at this McDonald's."

How many times do you need to say the vendor's name?

65. Winkypop Silver badge
    Terminator

Hey! We don't serve their kind here!

Luke: What?

Bartender: Your droids. They'll have to wait outside.

66. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge

The joke goes something like...

... a Cyborg walks into a ... McDonalds??

67. The Flying Dutchman
    Devil

Re: Updated to Add

Apparently, not only does McDonalds serve the best food in the world, also its employees can be trusted to always tell the truth.

The correct course of action of course, would be:

* review security camera footage

* have a chat with the employees in question

* check consistency

* have another chat with employees

"Erm, there seems to have been a minor technical problem with the recording of security camera footage... How inconvenient..."

68. Stephen Allan Swain
    Terminator

Reminds me of...

He's a cyborg, you idiot! He recorded every word you said, his memories are admissible as evidence!

69. Stephen Allan Swain
    Boffin

Bolted to skull

I suspect that the 'glass' is bolted to his head in order to keep it in a precise position relative to his eyeball

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like