back to article Vodafone jumps into bed with Three in Ireland

Vodafone and Three will be sharing cell sites and support infrastructure in Ireland, reducing costs to both parties while each operator maintains its network independence. The operators aren't sharing networks, only the supporting infrastructure, but that's how Vodafone and O2 started in the UK before finally taking the plunge …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DominicSayers

Alternatively

Three in a bed with Vodafone in Ireland.

You're welcome.

2. BernardL
    Meh

Small steps

In Ireland, network operators have to share sites already. This development is only a small advance on that. The only pity is that they don't usually have to camouflage the base stations, unless they're in an area where the Rich Folks live.

One minor advantage is that in small towns you can usually find the cop shop easily. Its the building with a bloody big radio mast with a ring of mobile phone aerials at the half way point.

3. irish donkey
    FAIL

The cynic in me says....

This is a tax avoidance scheme dreamt up by Vodafone.

eh sorry I don't have to pay tax as I am only borrowing this money/infrastructure/whatever.

Shame on Vodafone!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd bet Arqiva would love if there was one consolidated network...

5. Robb Dunphy

Perhaps we get better reception for 3 finally?

Well, we might. I can be optimistic right?

6. leexgx

now all that Three need to do is buddy up with some one in the UK

ops to late the other 4 main mobile providers all ready have buddied up ish {t-mobile and orange have mostly fully, O2 and vodaphone maybe network share masts in an year or 5 when they get around to it} and its unlikely the other network operators would want Three data mad users any way

I guess you could say Three and t-mobile have buddied up ish (MBNL wiki) as most of Three masts are 50/50 share with t-mobile, but now T-mobile and Orange have that roaming agreement between masts t-mobile do not need to setup any more masts with Three any more

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like