back to article TiVo plunges into Swedes after penetrating Virgin Media

The announcement that Com Hem of Sweden has cut a deal with TiVo this week shows how the TiVo strategy is rolling out in Europe and points to more and more deals being likely in the future. Expect it to drift outside of Europe soon, as well. Com Hem gives another 643,000 cable customers in Europe a chance to buy TiVo service. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kitschcamp
    WTF?

Strange...

Canal Digital already had an exclusive deal with TiVo for Scandinavia. So that's an exclusive with ComHem and a deal with Canal Digital?

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/11/19/canal-digital-signs-with-tivo/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Strange...

@Kitschcamp, CanalDigital has quietly dropped the TiVo project as being too difficult.

I think the articles author has rather rose coloured glasses when it comes to TiVo, who makes an analysis like this? "All these, between them, add up to another 18 million or so targets for TiVo to shoot for in Europe, and if it did cut such deals, it would put it on a par with NDS and Liberty Global."

The implication is that TiVo *should* achieve world dominance? There are competing solutions out there, as acknowledged, and Horizon could be one of those (if it ever delivers), but there are many more out there who will steal chunks of the pie. I would recommend two things: 1) Look at ComHem's history with interactive STB deployments rather than the announcements. 2) Talk to some of the operations people at the companies who have announced TiVo deals in the past two years, see how things are going...

1. Kitschcamp

Re: Strange...

Can't say I'm surprised, really. The set top boxes for Canal Digital are bloody awful! How they were ever going to deliver on that platform I did wonder.

Bit of a moot point for me, though, now. Have left the country and now got TiVo again :) I think that makes it a near 12 year unbroken run as a customer now.

2. Snowy Silver badge
    FAIL

I could get a TiVo...

but I'm not paying yet more for the TV. I pay for the service from VM and I do not see why haveing a TiVo should have a monthly cost.

1. VinceH

Re: I could get a TiVo...

I don't object to paying a little more for a better service - which the TiVo should be, in theory (but may not be in practice from some comments I've read).

However, as a V+ customer, I am becoming more and more convinced that they are reducing the quality of that service in order to make the TiVo offering seem better - and that's why, rather than thinking about upgrading, I'm actually thinking that it might be time to cancel.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This article fails to mention that there are still a large number of loyal UK customers who are seriously pissed off about TiVo cutting them off after making their offering cable only. Virgin cable only covers 49% of homes in the UK.

1. Mr_Happy

Blame Sky

Perhaps if Sky had been more interested when they were offered TIVO, it wouldn't be limited to cable customers

2. damien c

Virgin Being Flamed Again For Doing Something Better Than Sky.

Sky are to blame for them not having and from what I remember never being able to have Tivo and it's simply because of there own stupidity and greed, because of what they were demanding and trying to force the developers of Tivo to do which Tivo would not agree with and therefore said no you cannot have Tivo and never will.

I have Tivo and I don't mind paying the extra each month, for it because of the dedicated modem for the likes of Youtube and Iplayer etc meaning that if I wanted to watch something on either of those services I don't have to worry about it affecting the broadband in the house for everyone else.

As for the person saying VM are making the V+ etc service poor so they are forced to go over to a Tivo box, have you ever thought that it may not be that Virgin are forcing it to be poor but rather the fact that Virgins network improvements require newer and better software that, only the Tivo boxes can handle.

Also with the fact that the improvements are not only based around the broadband, but also on delivering a better picture quality etc for the tv service that they could be changing the codec that is used for transmitting the tv channels, meaning they can add more channels whilst using the same amount of bandwidth over the network, or keeping the same amount of channels but using less bandwidth meaning broadband can become faster, because there will not be as much bandwidth usage on the main backbone for the services throughout the country.

People are quick to flame Virgin for something that is intended to improve there experience on the services, and then when they are offered something for free like the current FREE!!! speed increases they say nothing good but then, when something goes wrong or Virgin change something they are instantly flaming them again.

4. Mr_Happy
    Unhappy

I bet Sweden will get the TIVO iPad app before Virgin who are still promising 'coming soon'

1. Kitschcamp

We don't have it in Ozland, either. You're not alone ;)

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Faultline = boring

I'm not sure why, but articles presented by Faultline are written in a style that would make the imminent arrival of The Doomsday Asteroid seem like a boring and tedious topic.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like